Cyclosporine

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
Hey guys
My dog's allergy reaction is coming back now (sores, and inflammations)

my Vet prescribed Cyclosporine again which it worked pretty well on him.

I was just wondering if any of you bulldoggers use or have used them??
I'm doin some research on the drug, but can't seem to find much about using the drugs on actual bulldogs.

It's a capsuled drug, but I've been having hard time for Duke to take the med. He seems to not like it? any suggestion??

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
can you be more specific about the symptoms?

where are the sores?

what do they look like?

are they open? (meaning is the skin broken, and are they seeping any liquid or blood)

could you post a picture?

L

Lucy-licious

Cheese works a dream in our house to get Lucy to take meds...If you cant get the capsule to say in the cheese though how about a piece of banana :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
My dad took it for his kidney transplant. It is a HORRIBLE tasting drug. Back then, it was in liquid form. He use to drink it in chocolate milk. Now, it is in capsule form....but, I'm sure it still has a horrible taste. You could try the pill pockets...we use bread and cheese to medicate our pups.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hot dogs..cut in pieces..can push capsules into meat ...Jake eats everything..pills and all...like a treat, but my Dena dog is very hard to trick.

OP
S

sharkpah

May 3, 2011
thanks for your support =]
just went out and got some pill pockets
he didn't even think twice about it

to say some of the symptoms are interdigital cysts on his paws, raw cheeks, scratch marks on his body, etc.

he was on the med for about a month last winter, and it worked really well.

As soon as everything cleared out, i stopped the medications. Not only the medication is really expansive, i didn't want him on drugs for long time.

However, the vet said it is a chronic condition for Duke, and I'll just have to go back on the med =/

Hopefully, he gets better again soon. He doesn't scratch as much as before, but I'm seeing some hot spots under his chest area

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus just finished his course of treatment of ATOPICA (Cyclosporine). He was on 150mg. It required 2 capsules per day, in split doses. It was very very expensive. I don't know if it did the trick in terms of his allergies/dermatitis/atopy. The Maximum treatment per the vet was 2 treatments - a total of 30-days
since his 1st treatment was 15-days. I don't know if I would ever repeat this drug treatment.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I tried Atopica on Mr. Wilson but I'm afraid it didn't do much for him. After 2 months I decided to do an allergy test and that actually led to a better results as I now know what foods he is allergic to. I corrected the food situation but he still has environmental allergies (grass) which cause itchy paws and eyes but he no longer has raw red skin and scabs. Face wipe downs and paw washing when he comes in from his walks has resulted in great improvement.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
The safest antibotic is Clindiamycin, its the only antibotic to work on my Gunnyboys intergital cysts (Deep Poyderma) it can be taken long term without reactions I swear by it!! Its easy on their stomachs. I have tried every known antibotic on Gunny and this is the only one that worked, the vet called it in to walgreens and it was cheaper

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey guys
My dog's allergy reaction is coming back now (sores, and inflammations)

my Vet prescribed Cyclosporine again which it worked pretty well on him.

I was just wondering if any of you bulldoggers use or have used them??
I'm doin some research on the drug, but can't seem to find much about using the drugs on actual bulldogs.

It's a capsuled drug, but I've been having hard time for Duke to take the med. He seems to not like it? any suggestion??

We use a small amount of vanilla ice cream to get the pill in them.... never disappoints.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I use the good old fashioned cheese slices! You can kinds wrap it up in there and they don't even know it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.