A cold with sneezing and congestion - any suggestions?

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Chancho is sneezing and has a cough with what sounds like phlegm. Any suggestions with some tried and true home remedies? Thanks Everyone!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no solutions for this. My pups havent had a cold really. Their sneezing tends to be allergic reactions and seasonally maybe that could play a part? I have no help on what to give for colds. Just be sure it doesnt turn into pneumonia or something scary. Chancho is a cutie by the way. How old?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be checking for any behavioral changes and take temperature. Hot steamy shower but I am concerned maybe a vet trip is in order.... Hope all is okay :pray:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was thinking a vet trip maybe to. just to check things out.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am thinking this may need a vet trip! Anytime a pup has a cough it could turn to puenomia. He may need antibiotics!

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My pup got a nasty upper respiratory infection @ 12 weeks. Snotty nose, coughing and just feeling yucky. Antibiotics and TLC...and he was good as new in just a day or too. Don't wait if at all possible for vet treatment, because these guys do not deal well with mucus and phlegm. A squirt of lemon juice will help break up the throat mucas and I also gave benadryl to help with symptoms until we could get him to the vet. Hope your baby is better soon!

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
He's 16 weeks - just had his rablies shot and that's when he started the sneezing. No change in appetite whatsoever, but slept quite a bit today....

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Yes, I'll be calling the vet tomorrow. Thanks.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
dogs don't really get colds....i agree with calling the vet.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
When I first got Watson he had a cold, runny nose, sneezing, coughing, and reverse sneezing. The coughing part was the worse, seemed like he was struggling with it. I took him to the vet for that and the vet gave us some antibiotics for a couple of weeks, namely to treat a hotspot that he had but he said it would help with the cold if he had a bacterial infection. So he got better quickly after that. I would recommend having the vet look at you bully.

OP

Apr 19, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chancho and Lola
Thanks all, seeing vet today...

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum and looking forward to spending time here. i have a two year old female named Dublin and she is off to the vet again...She has severe seasonal allergies ( though there is no season here in Florida that it isn't a problem) My Vet is a bully "expert" She gets Benydryl a few times a day every day and we nearly lost her not so long again as she had a severe reaction. Soooo scary. Unfortunately the only thing that works for her so far are steroids. I hate when she is on them as all she can think about is eating all the time and it does change her personality. But then she can finally breathe again. feel so bad for her. Has anyone had the same severe situation?? and what did you do? thanks :cry:

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
[MENTION=4786]Dubbiedog[/MENTION] -- if you make a new thread you will probably get faster responses...

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Can you see my profile pic?/ I'm having a difficult time with the settings. I set it up but it doesn't come up on my profile...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.