Runny Poop from 6 1/2 week old puppies.....

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
My 6 1/2 week old puppies now have diarrhea...:cry:. I had their first set of shots and their first worming on Thurs. (4/26). They have been eating fine and they are now drinking plain water! This morning I got up to feed them their "breakfast" and there was poop everywhere! I cleaned them up and got their food ready to eat, and they went to the papers on the floor and it shot out! Runny..... I haven't changed anything other then for the past 2 days I've given them a tsp. of Dannon Plain Yogurt once a day (per vet orders). He said " it will give them good bacteria". I feed them 4 times a day and their last feeding was around 9:15-9:30 last night. I've read that i can give them pumpkin, if so how much and how often? I have to get their poop firm..this is killing me!!:barf:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Some dogs can't take dairy products so first I would do is stop giving them that yoghurt and see what happens.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is right, the yogurt will make the stool loose especially if served alone. You might want to give them the yogurt in the morning feeding. When I gave yogurt to the pups, I mixed the yogurt in the soft food. Cut back on the amount & I would give them pumpkin in the food also, it will make a huge difference. Keep fresh water out for them. I would Give each of them a tsp. of pumpkin immediately.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] is right, give the pumpkin right away, (straight pumpkin in a can, not the pie filling kind" plus either stop the yogurt for a day or two or mix it with their food, and maybe cut down the portion of yogurt a little and that should help.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would stop the yogurt right now if you are feeding Fromm puppy, just until you get it settled. Fromm puppy has good bacteria in it already, but you may want to take a sample to your vet of the poo to make sure their is no coccidia, which is common in young puppy with low immune digestive systems. Pumpkin will help as well.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Ohhhhhh myyyyy....what a surprise I found in their playpen, covered in it....:poo: . Nothing like puppies jumping up and down in it! I will give the pumpkin a try , and stop the yogurt immediately!
By the way, these girls STINK:bad:, and are definetly in need of a bath!! When can I give them one??
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it!!=)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can bathe them, use a bit of Johnson's baby shampoo and warm water, no water in the ears!
Most of our pups leave bathtime lovers because of this routine:
I wrap them in a towel after i dry them and cuddle them for about an hour to make sure they don't get chilled, then make sure it is not draft anywhere they are until completely dry.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Still really soft poop! Vet gave some anti diarrhea medication , but they still have very soft poo?! Will the pumpkin make it like that too? Feeding them 4 times a day do it? The Vet checked their poop for Coccidia, but it was negative (yay), but I just don't get it?.... They are eating Fromm Puppy Gold, do you think that that could be the culprit? Help Please.......8(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe too much food, that can also cause the poopies. How much are they each eating per day?

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
I don't measure....I just fill a pie pan up w/softened puppy food and give it to them. Not to the top of course! Just fill the bottom and I do that 4 times a day.

Most Reactions