Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
So as long as I've known Schultz he's always had nails that aren't like other dogs....so I'm wondering is this a bulldog thing?

Schultz's nails (not all of them) just especially index front toenails and ring finger back toenails are brittle and occasionally split to the toe pad ...blood, tenderness not fun for him ...not fun for me because I have to soak his tootsie in betadyne for a few days to stave off infection and wait for the quick to harden up and not be a wound.

Our nail routine is every 4 weeks he gets his nails dremeled by a professional. But even though we maintain them some of his nails just splinter.

Today he did his scratch dance after a BM on our walk and I noticed his back right foot soaked in blood....sure enough that ring finger toenail has split to the pad....home we go and into the betadyne to clean it out..

He's on glucosamine and chondroitan for his joints and that should bolster healthy nails, too...he eats high quality food .... Just hate to see him all gimpy because of toenails.... Any ideas?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Maybe you could use those caps on his nails? The little plastic tip things that they sometimes use on cats. I think they just glue on? Maybe that woudl reinforce the nail enough so it wouldn't split.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh I haven't ever really heard of this before, I have only heard of nail/paw dragging causing the quik to be exposed and bleed. I wish I had an answer for you :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would think that it's some kind of deficiency of some nutrient. Omega-3 and other oil and minerals are good for nails. It can also be fungal infection. In humans it could be a sign of something wrong with the thyroid gland. When it is that bad I would have the vet do some tests.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION]
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION]

Never thoughts about those nail covers ...might be something to try just think he'd not stand for it and that they never last more than 1 walk

Will definately check out that site ....

I don't think he's deficient in Omega 3 his main source of protein is fish raw dehydrated ( THK's zeal ) plus I add flax oil to his dish every couple of days....

Just something i'm going to have to keep working on....funny my Weimaraner has the opposite problem her nails are made out of kryptonite....no matter how many miles we walk a day (at least 4) her nails won't wear down...the groomer had to purchase a heavy duty dremel because her nails have worn out lesser dremel models....lol

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Are you walking him on sidewalks or roads? This happens to Bubba when I walk him to much on the sidewalks. I take him mostly to the dog park usually. His same nails wear down, mostly in the front when walking on hard surfaces. I asked the vet and he said because he's heavier in the front and drags his feet. I thought about getting those doggie booties that they use for the sledding dogs feet to keep the snow from packing in there. Maybe get him those booties to protect them if walking on sidewalks. He probably won't like them at first but will prob get used to them.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Poor Schultzie!! Ive not heard of that either... :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.