Frontline Plus good or bad?

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
The vet gave me Frontline Plus for Lily.
But I'm hesitant on using it on her.
I have read the side effects and even read some post here regarding not so good experiences with it.
Just wondering what the verdict is on it.
With everything she has been going through (now she has mange) the last thing I want to do is put something on her skin that cause a bad reaction.
I told the vet I was worried about using it and he said she would be fine.
That he has never had a case where a dog had a bad reaction to it.
That doesn't really make me feel a whole lot better.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I work for Costco..and they just started selling pet meds. We also now have a kirkland brand of Flea/tick med. Even though Costco prides itself on meeting and/or exceeding brand name products...my pharmacist did some research on all those products. She says the safest is plain Advantage. I personally do not put it on my dogs. Luckily we've been in the same house for 10 years and have never had a flea problem. "knock on wood"

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i used it twice on annie and the last time she had the worst reaction ,we put pesticides on our dogs without a second thought sometimes,if you dont see any fleas then dont use it,a lot in the us use demascus earth,i have no experience of it but the feedback is good,and it doesnt harm the dog ,karen

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
i used it twice on annie and the last time she had the worst reaction ,we put pesticides on our dogs without a second thought sometimes,if you dont see any fleas then dont use it,a lot in the us use demascus earth,i have no experience of it but the feedback is good,and it doesnt harm the dog ,karen

Yea I just keep getting this odd feeling that I should not put it on her.
I'm going to look in ot demascus earth.
Thanks

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I work for Costco..and they just started selling pet meds. We also now have a kirkland brand of Flea/tick med. Even though Costco prides itself on meeting and/or exceeding brand name products...my pharmacist did some research on all those products. She says the safest is plain Advantage. I personally do not put it on my dogs. Luckily we've been in the same house for 10 years and have never had a flea problem. "knock on wood"

Do you know if Advantage is ok if you have cats? I have read that some meds can't be used on dogs if yo have cats as well.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We used Advantix plus last year. ALL of those flea/tick meds are a form of poison. I have been looking for an alternative and just received from Carolina Pet Pantry a box of Sentry Natural Defense that we are going to try. Its an all natural alternative to the others. Ive read reviews on it and the biggest was the smell but we haven't opened it yet. It is a drip on like the poisons.
We are also going to start putting a half teaspoon of wholistic diatomaceous earth in HRH's breakfast each morning. That does the same thing. We also got that from CPP.
There are alternatives.... we are going to try them.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I found two ticks on Aries yesterday for the first time (EVER) and we have lived on our property for 12 yrs.
I think because of our mild winter we had that the bugs are going to be horrid this summer.
I am also confused at which product to use on my Bullies, I don't really like the idea of putting poison on them
but worry that the holistic stuff will not work.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I found two ticks on Aries yesterday for the first time (EVER) and we have lived on our property for 12 yrs.
I think because of our mild winter we had that the bugs are going to be horrid this summer.
I am also confused at which product to use on my Bullies, I don't really like the idea of putting poison on them
but worry that the holistic stuff will not work.

Have you thought about spraying your property? That could help too.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I have 9 acres- 5 is woods, 2 is tall brush and 2 is grass and house etc. We are in process of getting a fence that will contain the dogs to a smaller area (away from the tall grass as that's where Aries likes to go) I'm wondering do the ticks live in the grass or in the tall stuff. Guess I need to do some more research;) I will look into the spraying of the property also. Thanks Bruce

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i spray my property every year and i do not have to put anything on sarah. ticks come out of treas or anywhere. if you have dogs that go in the woods or near them im thinking they may need something on them. i use frontline plus on my bostons and have used it on sarah before with no problems. however i dont like using it. since i spray i use nothing on sarah now but im going to look into something natural for my bostons. hm i may have to order the stuff [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] is talking about. i hate poisons for my pets or me either.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
IN the 3 yrs we have lived here, I have never seen a flea on Mr D until last month (and never in the 5 yrs of having him). We got Frontline and put it on right away. I just gave him a bath and he had a few fleas on him, grrr, and that was after paying someone this week to spray our yard when the Mr. has always done it himself. He's due for the next dose next week, but I hate putting this junk on him, and worse, still seeing fleas! I am wondering if it has anything to do with the staph spots the vet said he had on him a few weeks ago, yet his panel said he is not allergic to fleas.
He seems to have some more of the staph spots (small round circles with hair loss) too and that was after the $80 antibiotic shot. I wonder if it is spreading, or what. I am bathing every week and he is on Earthborn Meadowfeast. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Let us know how your holistic route goes!

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@bullimommi your putting more frontline on him next week. isnt that a monthly thing. also with him being on antibiotics and all this staff and stuff im wondering if putting this on him is the right thing at this time. are you giving him any probiotics? strenthening the immune system i think is key to a bully. sarah is on natures bounty acidophilus pills. im sure any brand will do. some give their dogs plain yogurt to. i cant as sarah is allergic to milk.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I just bought mercola flea & tick spray. Main ingredient is lemongrass oil. We don't have many fleas in Alberta but ticks and mozzies.. I love the natural ingredients. So far so good.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
We used Advantix plus last year. ALL of those flea/tick meds are a form of poison. I have been looking for an alternative and just received from Carolina Pet Pantry a box of Sentry Natural Defense that we are going to try. Its an all natural alternative to the others. Ive read reviews on it and the biggest was the smell but we haven't opened it yet. It is a drip on like the poisons.
We are also going to start putting a half teaspoon of wholistic diatomaceous earth in HRH's breakfast each morning. That does the same thing. We also got that from CPP.
There are alternatives.... we are going to try them.

Bruce please let me know how it goes..
I am looking for any alternatives.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.