OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I really would. Not sure all the details but the Dr made it sound like a great option for bullies he normally doesn't think can handle the acl surgeries. I was thinking at Cutty's age it might be best for him but Dr says no, surgery will work best.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do u think that steam cell repair would work on torn ligaments? That's my ?... I talked w Jeff a little at lunch about it and well he's a guy and didn't say to much. But like I told him it might be cheaper and help him. All we can do is try right?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
If I can remember what Dr said.... Something along the lines of it will help strengthen the muscles and joints around the year to make it more comfortable and better working. Def not a fix but sounds like something worth trying. No idea on cost but I would totally do it if my babies had such pain and nothing else could be done.

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Here's what she said:

And after I asked her if she has experience with dogs who have both hip dysplasia and bad knees:

Since Canada's prices are usually more expensive that what you pay in the U.S., it may be cheaper if you order the apparatus somewhere closer to home. But giving Molly a call may be a good idea, seeing she has extensive experience on joint issues.

How Lex doing today? Hope he's getting better.

Sounds about like the same price here. I asked The dr about a brace abd he said the only problem w bullies is they don't really have anywhere to attach the top part of brace

He mostly lays on his blankie in the floor or is a couch potato most of the time lol. He does get up and run and play w Bo and Libby but have to monitor how the play goes.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Do u think that steam cell repair would work on torn ligaments? That's my ?... I talked w Jeff a little at lunch about it and well he's a guy and didn't say to much. But like I told him it might be cheaper and help him. All we can do is try right?

Christine used stem cell on her Nitschke...[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Christine used stem cell on her Nitschke...[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Man I'm so ready to be done w girls softball and wedding planning so I can get back to being on here regularly I have missed so much :(....

I called the vet here that does the stem cell surgery and hopefully will be able to make the 10:15 app on sat. Jeff's oldest is in tourneys all weekend so it'll depend on her games if not I will find another time that's good for me to do the app since I can't take off work :(.. They will see us and talk and see if he is a candidate for the surgery and we will go from there. Fingers crossed!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Hope you can make the appt. on Saturday and curious to see what the doc has to say. Hugs to Lex.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There is a dr here that does stem cell stuff on dogs but haven't really looked into it. I might have to :)

We did stem cell therapy on Nitschke for his arthritis, bad knee (replaced ACL and a knee cap that did not stay in place) and bad hips. We had it done on March 8th 2011 and within 12 weeks after the surgery he was taking stairs and running/jumping like a puppy - we were so happy to see him so full of life and energized.

The procedure is two steps..and the costs was about $2500-- first they harvest fat cells from the belly area and send the to the Vet-stem lab for processing. Then the second procedure is when the cells are injected into the necessary areas of the body and they MUST be injected within 48 hours of being processed. Both procedures required sedation.. first is because the tummy is cut out and the second is to ensure the dog does not move as the injection is placed right in the joint (OUCH!). Nitschke had both knees, hips and we also did intervinous (sp?) to try and help with allergies (not tested, but we thought it would not hurt). Whether the pup stays at the hospital for the three days is up to you, but we opted to bring Nitschke home... Also, after the injections and he was home you have to do physical therapy for about 4 weeks.

We HIGHLY recommend it and wished it was available sooner as we would have done it for him. We still have yet to do Banks, but we will be after we get settled in the new house later this year.

PM me if you have any questions

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] do u know if they can do the surgery if it's torn ligaments? That's my worry. I've never been to this vet but have heard wonderful things about him. When I called the lady was very nice and helpful. Was it 2500 for both knees or what? On the vets website it says 1500 for small to 3000 for equine. Would they do both knees at the same time?

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks @2BullyMama do u know if they can do the surgery if it's torn ligaments? That's my worry. I've never been to this vet but have heard wonderful things about him. When I called the lady was very nice and helpful. Was it 2500 for both knees or what? On the vets website it says 1500 for small to 3000 for equine. Would they do both knees at the same time?

The first procedure is the surgery - the second where the cells are injected, is just sedation. Yes, we did both knees and both hips at the same time and the total costs was $2500 and the lab also stores the cells for 1 year free in case you need them again; at that time you have the choice to continue storing for a small fee ... like 20 bucks a year or something like that.

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
The first procedure is the surgery - the second where the cells are injected, is just sedation. Yes, we did both knees and both hips at the same time and the total costs was $2500 and the lab also stores the cells for 1 year free in case you need them again; at that time you have the choice to continue storing for a small fee ... like 20 bucks a year or something like that.

Wow that's not bad at all for all 4 done!! I was thinking it was gonna be 1500 for a knee! Man I can't wait till sat, Jeff told me just to go and not worry bout missing a game since it's a tourney weekend. Im excited but don't wanna get my hopes up ya know!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow that's not bad at all for all 4 done!! I was thinking it was gonna be 1500 for a knee! Man I can't wait till sat, Jeff told me just to go and not worry bout missing a game since it's a tourney weekend. Im excited but don't wanna get my hopes up ya know!

:begging: I so hope this is an option for you!

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I am to 10:15 can't get here soon enough!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Fingers crossed this is an option for lex. Will be waiting to hear from you!

OP
lexterwayne

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We are in the room now. They have a poster w a boxer on it he keeps barking at lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.