Darn tear stains returned

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Chuy's tear stains have returned this past week. They seemed to be just fine with the apple cider vinegar added to their water. Angel Eyes and other supplements seemed to not help much (tried those before the apple cider vinegar). He is on Fromm 4* line - currently Grain-Free Beef Frittata as of yesterday (before that was Whitefish and Potato). Any other ideas?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bre is prone to pretty bad tear stains. I do her folds about every 3 days with hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball. Scrub and let them air dry. That has seemed to work the best for her, she's got pretty deep wrinkles from her eyes to muzzle.
The kibble she eats is Innova Senior (just fyi :))

Good luck with that sweet Chuy...tear stains or not he is a looker!

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Tear stains are the worst!
Lily has them to.
I thought it was the food and that the tear stains were making her scratch her face raw but that turned out to be mange.
So I still don't know what's causing her tear stains.
Very frustrating....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Someone here mentioned FILTERED WATER as a cure all. I've not bought a Brita yet to make this happen... but have you tried this?

I battle them too and they're improving now that we're back on the NB Bison/Sweet Potato LID. They still have them - but they seem to be fading. If the darned allergies weren't completely koo koo, their little faces might look pretty darned good! I have no hope of them ever going away completely....I've given up on that so I'm just looking for success in degrees. :-)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
this is a pretty bad time of year here in WI so it could be environmental. HRH has a bit more than normal too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
was the whitefish creating tear stains as well? The beef fritatta gives Cutty tear stains and the surf and turf he is squeeky clean. Could be that simple. Not always of course but maybe?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
also if you happen to give any snacks that have beets in them.... bad for cuttys tear stains. fromm food doesnt have I am sure but a lot of foods and snacks do.

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
i heard you could use baby water(nursery). but im been giving my pup water bottle. haven't try nursery water yet...GL w chuy'

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sure it can be both or either. Cutty isn't so alergic but has had tear stains at times. For him I don't know if it is allergies or maybe a reaction? He doesn't have a big allergy problem but yet finding that perfect food is still a challenge. Or was. Fromm beef grain free I see the stains, surf and turf not at all. Think a lot of it is just how their body reacts to what. Miila is just a mess all around with allergies. She is a diff problem for sure. But no tear stains yet much. Saw a start of them when mixing in the earthborn holistic so I backed off but with seasonal allergies what it is, I am thinking for her, now is not the time to try and learn. Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
all bulldogs will get some staining at some point and its unavoidable,i manage annies face by raw feeding,a wipe down with colloidal silver but only when needed there is no need to dry off as the silver needs to work,too much washing will cause more problems i find,but thats just my dog ,ive tried acv,optrex and found them both to be helpful but i use the silver on every part of her body so i stick with it now,the tearing is usually down to allergy/food or having a cherry removed,its hard to figure which element is causing the stains also yeast plays a part,we havnt had a problem with staining for a few months now so thats good,but thats not to say it wont be back lol,also i put the silver in her eyes if they are goopy it clears then straight away,its a bit of a battle dealing with a bulldog with problems but we have to do it lol,karen

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
There is a link to suggestions on tear stains on this website. I'm trying the Tums (1/2 2x a day) so I will have to see what happens, hopefully it works. I would be worried about using the ACV- wouldn't it cause health issues?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I would be worried about using the ACV- wouldn't it cause health issues?

Absolutely not. There are tons of reasons to give your dog organic ACV. I'd post links but I don't want to get in trouble :tongue: This is one of those times Google is your friend :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio's tear stains are horrible right now too! I think its the high pollen. I am constantly wiping his eyes all day because they are so watery! It just started a couple of weeks ago right when my allergies started up! Like mother like son hahah!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online