It's always something

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
first i would say calm down lol,its not the end of the world,mange is easily treated and most dogs get over it well as many have said, ear infections are easily treated also,if its a bad infection then the vet can give drops to clear the initial infection,when the infection has gone then try extra virgin olive oil with lavender mixed in it ,put a few drops in the ear ,let it sit for 30 mins then wipe out ,you can use this mix to try and clear the infection ,use it every couple of days till the infection has cleared,then use it once a month,i always use colloidal silver in my dogs ears after using the oil mix ,most illnesses are the result of a weak immune system and this too can be rectified with the best diet and excersize that you can give your dog,i give my dog emu oil as she doesnt tollerate fish very well but both are a good suppliment,i do not know much regarding kibble as i raw feed which boosts the immune system,just try and relax,very hard i know but the more stressed you get the more stressed your dog will become,its all fixable it just takes time and effort,my own dogs immune system is weak due to vaccination damage causing allergies so i have learnt to take it in my stride now and not to panic,karen

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Saturday I noticed Abbys ears smelled funny. I asked my son if he smelled it too. He looked in her ears and said they were filthy. I don't see how, I clean them every week. But anyway. He got the qtips and cleaned her ears (my oldest son, not the redhead :) ) Saturday night they started oozing, she started scratching and crying if I touched them.

First thing yesterday morning I called the vet to make an appointment. Abby's ears are infected. But guess what?? She also has mange :( Positive skin scrape and all. I don't know how she got it. I don't know what to do about it.

I have absolutely zero experience with this. I've had dogs my entire life and have never dealt with this.

She gave me this ivermectin suspension stuff. She said its processed in the liver and shouldn't affect her kidneys but everything affects the kidneys. Then (as if I wasn't freaked out enough) she tells me that if Abby gets listness or starts throwing up to get her to a hospital immediately. Is that normal?

Doctor says it's because he immune system is compromised? I don't get it. Is it compromised because of the ear infection? Diet? Did I do something to make this happen?

I spend literally all day yesterday on the net trying to find out about this stuff and all I did was make myself itchy any time she comes near me :(

Aw poor Abby! You are not alone here!
My Lily has mange right now. I just found out on Monday.
She was scratching her face like crazy and made it so raw.
I thought she was trying to scratch at her eyes cause they run all the time.
She only has a couple of spots on her face, it's the localized one.
The vet gave me Goodwinol which I have to put on her face for a month!!
It's orange so now Lily looks like a spary tan gone wrong. LOL

I'm so sorry you & Abby are having all these issues. I hope things get better soon.
You are so right it is always something.
But you are a wonderful mama!!
Hang in there and I hope things get better for you guys!
Hugs!!!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
first i would say calm down lol,its not the end of the world,mange is easily treated and most dogs get over it well as many have said, ear infections are easily treated also,if its a bad infection then the vet can give drops to clear the initial infection,when the infection has gone then try extra virgin olive oil with lavender mixed in it ,put a few drops in the ear ,let it sit for 30 mins then wipe out ,you can use this mix to try and clear the infection ,use it every couple of days till the infection has cleared,then use it once a month,i always use colloidal silver in my dogs ears after using the oil mix ,most illnesses are the result of a weak immune system and this too can be rectified with the best diet and excersize that you can give your dog,i give my dog emu oil as she doesnt tollerate fish very well but both are a good suppliment,i do not know much regarding kibble as i raw feed which boosts the immune system,just try and relax,very hard i know but the more stressed you get the more stressed your dog will become,its all fixable it just takes time and effort,my own dogs immune system is weak due to vaccination damage causing allergies so i have learnt to take it in my stride now and not to panic,karen

I would love to feed Abby raw. I've read so many health benefits of it. But with her strict phosphorous/calcium requirements I'm afraid I would screw it up.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Poor Abby!! I have no experience with this, but I hope she gets better soon! She is such a cutie pie.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
@Twice So sorry you guys are going through this. I had an experience like this last week with staph for the 2nd time in less than 2 months. I was so frustrated too, esp. because I went in for something totally unrelated and got that news, just like you with the mange. Hope you guys feel better soon and your baby clears up quick!

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
I would love to feed Abby raw. I've read so many health benefits of it. But with her strict phosphorous/calcium requirements I'm afraid I would screw it up.
***Link Deleted***t this is the forum that will help you ,there are so many people on there with so much experience ,take a look you may be surprised ,it may be worth asking a few questions ,karen

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.