It's always something

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Saturday I noticed Abbys ears smelled funny. I asked my son if he smelled it too. He looked in her ears and said they were filthy. I don't see how, I clean them every week. But anyway. He got the qtips and cleaned her ears (my oldest son, not the redhead :) ) Saturday night they started oozing, she started scratching and crying if I touched them.

First thing yesterday morning I called the vet to make an appointment. Abby's ears are infected. But guess what?? She also has mange :( Positive skin scrape and all. I don't know how she got it. I don't know what to do about it.

I have absolutely zero experience with this. I've had dogs my entire life and have never dealt with this.

She gave me this ivermectin suspension stuff. She said its processed in the liver and shouldn't affect her kidneys but everything affects the kidneys. Then (as if I wasn't freaked out enough) she tells me that if Abby gets listness or starts throwing up to get her to a hospital immediately. Is that normal?

Doctor says it's because he immune system is compromised? I don't get it. Is it compromised because of the ear infection? Diet? Did I do something to make this happen?

I spend literally all day yesterday on the net trying to find out about this stuff and all I did was make myself itchy any time she comes near me :(

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Aww, poor Abby:heart: I have always had dogs also:yes: Gracie is my first bully.....I think she's been to the vet more than my other dogs put together She's only 8 months. I don't know anything about mange. So good luck:yes: and keep us posted.

L

Lucy-licious

Her little body is doing everything it can to stay well because of her kidneys.....she is immunosuppressed because of this and will therefor get things easier than other pups because she hasnt a lot of reserve. Her ear infection must be pretty nasty if they're worried she might get sick....[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you did nothing wrong sweety you are a marvellous Mummy doing your upmost to keep Abbey well. Just give her the meds and keep her as quiet as she wil let you.. Maybe look at some extra vitamins and minerals xxx
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] is pretty good at holistic supplements and stuff maybe she might have some suggestions. Take a deep breath sweety you did nothing wrong :hug:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybe look at some extra vitamins and minerals xxx

She gets a ton of supplements as it is.

Every day she gets fish oil, coQ10, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, cranassure, renal support multi vitamins, slippery elm bark (for her stomach), probiotics AND blackstrap molasses rice krispie balls (its to boost her iron and fight off anemia but she thinks its a treat... and so do my kids lol). Plus, every 3 days she gets vitamin E (studies have shown that giving fish oil long term can lead to vitamin E deficiency)

......Take a deep breath sweety you did nothing wrong :hug:

It sure feels like I did :(

L

Lucy-licious

She gets a ton of supplements as it is.

Every day she gets fish oil, coQ10, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, cranassure, renal support multi vitamins, slippery elm bark (for her stomach), probiotics AND blackstrap molasses rice krispie balls (its to boost her iron and fight off anemia but she thinks its a treat... and so do my kids lol). Plus, every 3 days she gets vitamin E (studies have shown that giving fish oil long term can lead to vitamin E deficiency)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is all this doing something wrong??

The hours days and weeks you have put into researching all that, to make sure Abby stays well and her lifespan is lengthened. There are loads of pups here who have had mange it is more common than you think. As for ear infections...our babies are all prone to them. Now take a deep breath and breath out slowly.....I say that a lot I know, but it does work.
You are a marvellous Mummy who has put her foot down and said "you will not take my baby" don't let this blip beat you sweetheart :hug:

Hang in here xx

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You have done nothing wrong! I would say you have done everything in your power to help dear sweet Miss Abby! Unfortunatly the breed we love is prone to so so many health issues...it's just one of those cruddy things.
You keep your chin up and stay happy for Abby, she will get over the mange and the ear infections. If you worry...then SHE will worry about YOU!

You are a fantastic bully mama and don't forget it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How is all this doing something wrong??

The hours days and weeks you have put into researching all that, to make sure Abby stays well and her lifespan is lengthened. There are loads of pups here who have had mange it is more common than you think. As for ear infections...our babies are all prone to them. Now take a deep breath and breath out slowly.....I say that a lot I know, but it does work.
You are a marvellous Mummy who has put her foot down and said "you will not take my baby" don't let this blip beat you sweetheart :hug:

Hang in here xx

Yeah, what Angie said..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DITTO!!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
It just feels like I've done something (or not done something) I've read that it's common. I read that all puppies have these mites. All DOGS have these mites. But they only become a problem if something is wrong. Of course I didn't know any of that until I read about it yesterday and today.

I get her kidney values under control and her immune system breaks! And me, the horrible bug-a-phobic mother that I am, I start itching whenever she comes near me :(

L

Lucy-licious

I'm a nurse and I can't help itching and scratching everytime I have to treat head lice or scabies...it's a natural reaction. It doesn't mean I'm a bad nurse and it doesn't mean your a bad mum. :hug:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] You are such a good mama to Abby! You keep doing what your doing b/c Miss Abby came along way thanks to you!!!!! You are the best Mama she could have asked for! :heart: Keep your head up!

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Hi there! I am new to the forum but my new 15 month old, rescue bulldog has severe generalized demodectic mange. Like you said, all dog's carry the mites in their skin and they are in no way zoonotic (or transferable to humans). It sounds like your sweet baby already has some kidney issues, so it is very likely her immune system is compromised (and always was/will be) compared to a "normal" bulldog, and that is probably why the mange got out of control.

You are NOT a bad mommy. As I said I AM new here, but from reading your post I can see a.) How knowledgeable you are in all the supplements you are giving your girl and b.) How very much you love her.

It will be ok and she WILL get over this. I know how frustrating dealing with mange can be. Audrey is on Ivermectin too. She HATES it. It tastes bitter and makes her foam at the mouth because of the taste. She gets 2 baths a week. I really like Keys Metacare Shampoo and lotion spray. It is very soothing to the skin and all natural.

Does your little one have localized (only in one to a couple spots) or generalized (over the whole body) mange?

Audrey Hepbull

Apr 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Audrey Hepbull
Also wanted to add that this is a great article on this type of mange. It helped me to understand.

Link removed :)

Having a compromised immune system (which allows the mites to overgrow) can be a hereditary issue. In Audrey's case it is. One of her litter mates also came down with mange. They didn't spread it to each other, but insted they both acquired crappy immune systems from their parents. It isn't always hereditary though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I don't have any experience with this but just wanted to add my thoughts that you [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] are the best mama to Abby she could possibly have. All that you and your family do for her is simply amazing. :hug:

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi there! I am new to the forum but my new 15 month old, rescue bulldog has severe generalized demodectic mange. Like you said, all dog's carry the mites in their skin and they are in no way zoonotic (or transferable to humans). It sounds like your sweet baby already has some kidney issues, so it is very likely her immune system is compromised (and always was/will be) compared to a "normal" bulldog, and that is probably why the mange got out of control.

You are NOT a bad mommy. As I said I AM new here, but from reading your post I can see a.) How knowledgeable you are in all the supplements you are giving your girl and b.) How very much you love her.

It will be ok and she WILL get over this. I know how frustrating dealing with mange can be. Audrey is on Ivermectin too. She HATES it. It tastes bitter and makes her foam at the mouth because of the taste. She gets 2 baths a week. I really like Keys Metacare Shampoo and lotion spray. It is very soothing to the skin and all natural.

Does your little one have localized (only in one to a couple spots) or generalized (over the whole body) mange?

Hi. Welcome to EBN :) I'm sorry your Audrey is going through this too (love that name btw :) ).

You are right, my Abby has kidney failure. She was diagnosed 3 months ago with Juvenile Renal Dysplasia. I think her mother was a crack addict or something because she also has congenital luxating elbows (the connective tissue in her arms never formed). She's doing great now or so I thought lol It never, ever occurred to me that her immune system could also be compromised and that bugs could affect her.

Abby's demodex is localized to her legs. I thought it was allergies making her bite them so I just kept giving her baths and wiping her off when we came in from outside. Who knows how long this poor thing has been suffering with this.

She doesn't give me grief anymore about taking her meds no matter what it tastes like. But for the really foul stuff, I mix it into a couple tablespoons of applesauce. She really likes that and sometimes I even add some ginger to it to settle her tummy. Maybe that would help with Audrey?

Thanks for the article. I guess its safe to assume that this is something she will be fighting her whole life unless I can boost that little immune system somehow.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.