Spay this Friday!!! Worried!!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
My Tess goes in this Friday to get spay. What do I need to look forward to when I bring her home and what signs of infection to look for??? I got tons of things running through my mine right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh I know that worry well. Honestly it will be fine. I never had any infection or signs of anything with Miila. Just try and keep her calm as much as is possible anyhow. We used that soft cone instead of the hard icky one. It did help to slow Miila down for a minute anyhow. Try not to worry, I know not going to happen. :( I felt like the worst, meanest mama in the world when I dropped Miila off.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i was worried also. everything went well with ivy, although her incision opened a little bit afterwards. not knowing much at the time, we brought her in to emergency surgery for hundreds of dollars, only for the vet to tell us to do what i had already been doing. cleanse with normal saline and keep it clean. it soon closed up and everything was fine.

i found the toughest part was to try to keep her calm after coming out of sedation--sometimes dogs get hyper when they are coming out of it.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I think it's just routine surgery anymore, of course, as with any surgery there is always some risk. My girl had a rupture and got spade at the same time, and there was no keeping her resting or keeping her calm, I was afraid she would tear out her stitches she was so wild,but she didn't! :)

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Thanks everyone for keeping less worry!! Just can't wait to get over with 😏

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery with no complications. I'll be thinking of you and your baby girl.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet keeps them over night to make sure everything is OK. Just keep her quiet for a week or so, no jumping on the couch. Keep the incision area clean and watch out for a reaction about a week after from the dissolvable sutures if your vet uses them. I ask them not to use them, but I also will take them out myself when it is time for them to come out. We will keep her in our thoughts that day, please keep us posted.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Good luck. Raven was recently spayed. When she comes home she will be sore, try to keep her as calm as possible. Raven had pain meds for three days and antibiotics for a week. I gave her pain meds the first two days and she was fine. Actually by the following day she was back to normal. Be prepared for lots of peeing from the iv. She was kind of constipated the first couple days. I think it was due partially to them filling up her stomach with gas for the spay, as well as soreness afterwards. Sutures are removed a week after. We will send puppy prayers for a safe surgery and speedy recovery.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Even when Bea's spay AND hernia fix combo went wonky - because she was allergic to the sutures apparently - she healed up just fine. Your baby will do GREAT because you've picked a personable, reputable vet who knows and understands the Majesty of the English Bulldog. :yes:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have never had to deal with a spay surgery, but Tess is in our thoughts and we are sending best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery! :hug:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola got spayed at 6 months and did very well. The whole evening and night after surgery she was really lethargic and did not do well with the anesthesia...she spend the night in the living room with my husband who stayed up with her. I'd keep her blankie and quite a few towels ready for the nausea. the next morning all was well :) she drank a bit of water. some rice and chicken. little bit of food and water at a time. we used the cone for two days and realized that she had no interest in her stitches and didn't put it on her again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had to crate Banks, I think, if I remember correctly. She came home as much of a spit-fire as before the procedure. Wanted to wrestle and play. she how she is... try to keep her calm the first few days. Limited walks, play and steps. Watch for the incision to become red or swallow-- that is usually a sign of infection, These little buggers are very resilient and bounce back quick.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.