Success! (some advice needed also)

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
one of my co-workers was drooling over bully pictures, trying to decide if they should get one. I told her straight up about what being a bulldog owner involves, and she decided to get one!!! her little girl bully comes home on wednesday.

my question is this: she has a very small inguinal hernia, which the breeder was very up front about, and has promised to pay for medical attention if necessary for the repair of this hernia.

how serious is it do you think, and should she get it repaired while the hernia is still small or should she wait until little molly is older?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Duke had an umbilical hernia at 3 months we had his taken care of right away after two different medical opinions.. good luck to her!

OP
ollieivy

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
it is not my pup. it's my co-worker's, who shall soon be here with us. there has been no decision made, i was just talking about it with her the other day and we were both wondering if it should be fixed immediately.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Since it is small and should not cause any problem, I would wait until she is spayed and fix it then.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I got my girls umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as her spay and never had a problem. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I got my girls umbilical hernia repaired at the same time as her spay and never had a problem. :)

Ditto - except Bea was allergic to the sutures...and we still made it just fine....a few bumps...but she's just fine. It's better to do these things all at once with squished face breeds.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Dozer has this and my vet said its ok to wait...may I ask what made you decide to get it done so quick?

if your vet said it was ok then I would trust that it is.. When we took Duke she looked at it and said if that were my put I would have him on the table immediately.. so we had him spayed and the hernia repaired right away. I don't know if there are different degrees that the hernia can take but like I said we did it under the suggestion of the surgeon who we trust. no worries it seems to be pretty common :)

OP
ollieivy

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
thanks for all the advice peeps. i will let her know.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I would think if the hernia was bad enough they would have done it already, or at least not give her the option.

I know that when I brought Abby home I noticed that she had a scar on her stomach from some kind of surgery. Of course, I can't get any answers from the people that I got her from so we have to guess. Her doctors think she probably had hernia surgery because of where the scar is. I would assume it was pretty bad if they were operating on a less than 3 month old puppy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with a few others here..... get it done when she is spayed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.