Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Lily hurt.jpg

I think Lily scratched herself raw!!
She was fine this morning. I feed her and washed her up a bit and again she was just fine.
The next thing I know I look at her and she is bleeding on her face.
Actually she has been scratching at her eyes lately. I think she has allergies. Her eyes are always watery and they must itch her.
I give her Benadryl twice a day but I don't think it's working to well for her.
Is there anything else I could try?
Can you guys please tell me what to do for this?
I'm very worried.
She has her regular vet appointment on Monday. I'll have him check it out.
So far I cleaned it up, and put a tiny bit of peroxide on it.
Was that ok? So I do something more?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,Lisa

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HP cleans it.. I think Desitin would help more than HP. Careful not to get it in her eyes.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] why not use both. hp then some desitin just to make sure there is no infection from the scratching. i think the air is bad right now as my dog who never has eye trouble has watery goopy eyes now. ask the vet for some hydoxyzine antihistamine or see if your pup can take zyrtec also. i use both zyrtec and benadryl with sarah as the vet said it was ok. i give zyrtec and if she still has symtpoms then a benadryl to help. maybe they have allergy drops to put in the eyes for dogs. if no drops maybe something to flush the eyes to get the allergen out. good luck hope he gets better.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Two, three times a day. ANd as long as she has an appt. on Monday anyway, I'd do it right up til then and see what the vet says. Now to find out the cause... hmmmm??

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
@Lily122511 why not use both. hp then some desitin just to make sure there is no infection from the scratching. i think the air is bad right now as my dog who never has eye trouble has watery goopy eyes now. ask the vet for some hydoxyzine antihistamine or see if your pup can take zyrtec also. i use both zyrtec and benadryl with sarah as the vet said it was ok. i give zyrtec and if she still has symtpoms then a benadryl to help. maybe they have allergy drops to put in the eyes for dogs. if no drops maybe something to flush the eyes to get the allergen out. good luck hope he gets better.

@cowsmom,
Thanks I was planning on asking the vet about zyrtec.
Didn't know you could use zyrtec & Benadryl together, thanks for that info.
I do have it here but I don't know how much & how often to give it to her.
She is 16 weeks and weighs about 20 lbs.
I have to ask the vet.

Last edited:
OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Two, three times a day. ANd as long as she has an appt. on Monday anyway, I'd do it right up til then and see what the vet says. Now to find out the cause... hmmmm??

Ok will do. thanks.
I wish I knew why she did this. I don't want this to happen again!
I have to talk to the vet I guess.
I'm clueless here.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] with a pup that young i would ask for sure. might not be able to give to one so young. if not maybe he can give you something rx you can give. im not sure with puppies. i did not know it either till the vet told me. i was like oh you can give both. and ive done it a few times and she was fine with it. but again with a puppy so young always good to ask the vet. let us know how the visit goes.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
@Lily122511 with a pup that young i would ask for sure. might not be able to give to one so young. if not maybe he can give you something rx you can give. im not sure with puppies. i did not know it either till the vet told me. i was like oh you can give both. and ive done it a few times and she was fine with it. but again with a puppy so young always good to ask the vet. let us know how the visit goes.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION],

Oh she just scratched it open again.
And now it's bleeding again.
I can't keep her from scratching it.
It's so raw I don't know what to do!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] call the vet and see if you can give more benadryl and do you have some socks or something to put on her feet to keep her from scratching it.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] also maybe give him a bath and then wash his face with a baby wipe real good. see if you can wipe off whatever is bothering him if its environmental. maybe keep him inside and windows closed till monday. just a thought

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
@Lily122511 also maybe give him a bath and then wash his face with a baby wipe real good. see if you can wipe off whatever is bothering him if its environmental. maybe keep him inside and windows closed till monday. just a thought

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION],
Great ideas. I will do that. I called the vet and I am waiting for a call about.
Thank you so much for all your help.
I am very greatful to you!!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
@cowsmom,

Oh she just scratched it open again.
And now it's bleeding again.
I can't keep her from scratching it.
It's so raw I don't know what to do!

oh this is the worst.. Duke would do this quiet often..makes you crazy then you feel so bad for them.. I would make sure you keep the wrinkles dry then use the desitin like Bruce told you.. once you go to the vet hopefully they can give you direction on what else to do.. We give Duke Zrtec every other day . he has terrible allergies and this is suggested by his dermatologist . he did not do well on Benadryl.. made him very tired.. also Zrtec does not have the same ingredients.. There is something in the benadryl that causes dry eyes .. and because Duke ALSO had eye issues we had to switch.. Good Luck to you.. let us know what the vet says.. also another trick keep her occupied we would give Duke kongs with treats and nylabones.. :)

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
oh this is the worst.. Duke would do this quiet often..makes you crazy then you feel so bad for them.. I would make sure you keep the wrinkles dry then use the desitin like Bruce told you.. once you go to the vet hopefully they can give you direction on what else to do.. We give Duke Zrtec every other day . he has terrible allergies and this is suggested by his dermatologist . he did not do well on Benadryl.. made him very tired.. also Zrtec does not have the same ingredients.. There is something in the benadryl that causes dry eyes .. and because Duke ALSO had eye issues we had to switch.. Good Luck to you.. let us know what the vet says.. also another trick keep her occupied we would give Duke kongs with treats and nylabones.. :)

@BabyDuke,
That's exactly how I feel.
I feel so helpless.
I keep following her around like a crazy lady making sure she does not scratch.
I'm even getting the stink eye for it. Lol
Thanks for the tips.
I'll try anything at this point.
Oh and btw Duke is so handsome!! ;)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.