"stinky tail"

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
HI everyone,
I am hoping someone might have some "at home" treatments for a corkscrew tail problem. I sat with my Darla on Monday and let her sit in her new "pool". I did not dry underneath her tail , and four days later noted that her tail fur was stiff with something that smelled almost like she sat in applesauce or sweet and sour sauce. So I washed the area off and dried it. The next morning her tail fur was again matted and stiff.....I then gave her a full bath, being sure to cleans the sticky mystery stuff off. Later that day the fur was again matted. So....I now realize that she must have a yeast infection that is draining some weird smelling stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I went out and bought miconazole 2% cream, and thought I'd use a Q tip to put it under the tail...but I wanted to know if anyone else has had to deal with this...My guess is yes. I don't know if I can try the cream and avoid the vet if it works, or would the vet give oral antibiotics....
any suggestions would be appreciated...and I already know that I should have dried the area with care and will the next time.
thanks,
Darla and Cyndi:begging: Darla 20 w.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Depending on what you have on hand is what you could try, but it sounds to me like the area is seeping, and a lot, in which case I would see the vet to be sure. You could try to dry out the area with witch hazel or gold bond medicated powder, hopefully it will help, there have been many times where I saved myself a trip to the vet using malecetic otic on scratches, sore bums, and stuff. But use your instinct and if you think it is serious you should seek vet attention because she may need antibiotics.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've never had seeping back there - just a tail pocket so deep you could hide a Cadillac in there. (frequent cleaning is a mandatory duty for Bea) Bo doesn't have a tail pocket but that area requires a good scrubbin' just the same to remove skid marks and such from under the tail.

I'm with the previous poster on this. Anything seeping should be seen my a veterinarian so it doesn't get worse yet. I hope little Darla is on the mend soon!

C

Cooper11

Seeping???? Can you tell where it is seeping from??? I wold also try the witch hazel and gold bond....That is what i used on Cooper when his tail pocket was BAD so red and it was kinda slimy ..... Is that what you mean by seeping....I would take that as yeast infection....maybe??.... I would try witch hazel and see if it helps and if it look worse or if she is not happy about it and looks like it is really bothering her I would take her to the vet as well. Coopers tail pocket was horrible and he lost all his furunder there and around his bum hole and it is not coming back...silky smooth like a babies butt!!! Vet said it wouldn't grow back!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
depending on how deep the tail pocket is it can get very smelly and sore ,annie has a longish tail but she did once get the most fowl smelling odor and when i took a close look oooh it was nasty,i washed it well patted it dry and applies nappy rash cream it healed in a couple of days,tail pockets are just as important as a bulldogs wrinkles/nose rope and if not checked regularly can quickly become infected and cause a lot of problems,karen

OP
darla and me

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
thanks everyone,
I am going out to the CVS now and picking up Witch Hazel and Gold bond. I also ordered the Malacetic Otic stuff off line last night.
When I say it is seeping, I mean it is slimy. It is not bothering her at all....
thanks again!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Has it seemed better using the miconazole cream?

H

heff101

I've never had seeping back there - just a tail pocket so deep you could hide a Cadillac in there. (frequent cleaning is a mandatory duty for Bea) Bo doesn't have a tail pocket but that area requires a good scrubbin' just the same to remove skid marks and such from under the tail.

I'm with the previous poster on this. Anything seeping should be seen my a veterinarian so it doesn't get worse yet. I hope little Darla is on the mend soon!

Wait your still young!
hahahaha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks everyone,
I am going out to the CVS now and picking up Witch Hazel and Gold bond. I also ordered the Malacetic Otic stuff off line last night.
When I say it is seeping, I mean it is slimy. It is not bothering her at all....
thanks again!

How is Darla's tail?

OP
darla and me

darla and me

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Darla
Hi,
Well today Darla's tail has cleared up. I used the Miconazole cream only once. I cleansed with the Witch Hazel and dried well with cotton squares for 2 days...Today she is back to normal !! :whew: I will continue to cleans her pocket area with this daily and also use the Malcetic Otic when things look "iffy". Thanks so much for all of your help, it makes me nervous when she is sick...and my breeder told me that we should never "let things go" or "watch and see" with a bulldog because things can become worse quickly. I took that advice when she was 9 weeks old and saved her from getting full blown pneumonia, but the tail seemed like I may be able to wait...and I am glad I did.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi,
Well today Darla's tail has cleared up. I used the Miconazole cream only once. I cleansed with the Witch Hazel and dried well with cotton squares for 2 days...Today she is back to normal !! :whew: I will continue to cleans her pocket area with this daily and also use the Malcetic Otic when things look "iffy". Thanks so much for all of your help, it makes me nervous when she is sick...and my breeder told me that we should never "let things go" or "watch and see" with a bulldog because things can become worse quickly. I took that advice when she was 9 weeks old and saved her from getting full blown pneumonia, but the tail seemed like I may be able to wait...and I am glad I did.

GREAT to hear it cleared up.....

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Sumo had the same problem. I didnt realize at first that it needed to be cleaned out until it got stinky and sticky. I bathed her a lot during that time and used witch hazel, gold bond. It hasn't been bad again since because we've been very diligent with her. Just keep on top of it and you should be good! Baby wipes are great to get in there :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online