Allergy Shot....

OP
C

Cooper11

Is it wrong for to almost just want to keep him on the fromm....He looks great and act fine. I just got a different anitbiotic last night for his toes and gave him one last night nd this morning and his toes look awesome today!!!! He has still been eating the fromm beef fritatta and I just don't understand how he has allergies to ingrediant in it but not showing any reaction.

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I got a medicated shampoo too...they didn't have your brand but said the one they gave me had everything in it that the one you mentioned did. They also told me to let him soak in it for 10 minutes and I did that as well. He got his bath last night and his coat looks awesome...no more bumpy scabby things on his neck and back, and he is white as can me. I can't even see his bald spot at all anymore! :)

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] If he is doing fine, I would continue as you are at this time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! At least you know what you are dealing with if he starts having problems!!

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 If he is doing fine, I would continue as you are at this time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! At least you know what you are dealing with if he starts having problems!!

:) thats what I am thinking also....but he did get a cortisone shot last thursday so that could be helping...I think it takes a couple weeks to wear off....
SO we will see....I wonder if the sweet potatoes where what case th
Code:
[CODE][CODE]
[/CODE][/CODE]e red in between the toes....cause that game out of nowhere!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] ok im going to be the grim reaper. im sorry but i do not agree with keeping a dog on something with known allergens in it. and yes a steroid and antibiotics will mask any problems that maybe coming from a food allergen or any other allergen. i think coops issues could well be coming from that. why not put him on something with no allergens in it and see how he does. with all of his outside allergies why would you add problems to it with food. hope i dont make ya mad but thats just my opinion dear. from someone whose been there and done that and still doing it :D

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i agree with Sandra, right now he is still having symptoms of allergies so it could be environmental or food. Some environmental stuff you can't change like grass which is everywhere but food is something you can change.

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 ok im going to be the grim reaper. im sorry but i do not agree with keeping a dog on something with known allergens in it. and yes a steroid and antibiotics will mask any problems that maybe coming from a food allergen or any other allergen. i think coops issues could well be coming from that. why not put him on something with no allergens in it and see how he does. with all of his outside allergies why would you add problems to it with food. hope i dont make ya mad but thats just my opinion dear. from someone whose been there and done that and still doing it :D

Are you Serious!!!! :cursing: ......just joken with ya! Sandra do you really think I would get mad at you!! I am the one asking you for ideas! :) Yeah i am thinking different food too...because I have a feeling it is the steroid and the antibiotic that is making him look so good and his eyes are still watering...no tear stains but the on eye is always wet! My point on keeping the food is that isn't the allergy shot a shot of the stuff his is allergic to...to get him immune to them??? Maybe I am wrong....I didn't know if I kept giving him the food he would just adjust to it. But don't worry momma bear I will change! :picknose:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am sure that since your food panel does not have too many allergens you can try many different awesome foods.

Now about the shots. I have only had one dog with allergy issues, that was sarah, the one I told you about in the "Our Mission" article. We did get her the desensitizing shots. First it was everyday, then every other day, then every few days, ect ect... Did they work? I don't know. We left our area (she was tested in Tucson) and were traveling to hot humid allergy ridden places that made her miserable. She went to live with Linda who kept her stable for many years, then she moved back to Tucson, is on a great dog food and looks great. So I think they did work, but it took years to find out that it did. She is 9 years old now, with as many steriod shots she got while she was young I am surprised she lived past the age of 6.

My point? Worth a "Shot"

No pun intended! :shot:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did the shots for Nitshcke... but I never really noticed any change. We did them for two years and then we opted to stop them. Banks we opted out of the shots as she is too much of a drama queen with needles and how we felt about Nitschke's results.

Good luck with Cooper..... keep baby wipes by the door and wipe him when you come in

OP
C

Cooper11

:picknose: I know!! I was kinda surprised he wasn't allergic to more food than that....they did say that the ones marked BL I might as well count them cause he is young and they would go off of 150 and not 175 for positive.. ....thank lisa! And I will see about the shot..i am going to wait a couple more weeks and see how he looks when his steroid shot and all the other stuff wears off...I am going to be ordering him some different food though... just need to do some looking at the ones [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] recommended

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
steroid shots are only a quick fix unfortunatly,the immune system governs allergies,you really need to look into your dogs immune system and find ways to calm it down,as the immune system is the core problem giving allergy shots for the specific allergens may/may not deal with that specific allergen but usually other allergens come into play,for my dog i am not giving shots of any type i am dealing with her from the inside out ,her biggest problem is dustmites ,though since taking the holistic drops her itching is now very little ,her problem is from vaccine damage so no more vaccines for her,i think every dog owner should research just what vaccine/spot on treatments/steroids actually do to the immune system that in turn damage the immune system hence causing all sorts of problems,just my input :),karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
steroid shots are only a quick fix unfortunatly,the immune system governs allergies,you really need to look into your dogs immune system and find ways to calm it down,as the immune system is the core problem giving allergy shots for the specific allergens may/may not deal with that specific allergen but usually other allergens come into play,for my dog i am not giving shots of any type i am dealing with her from the inside out ,her biggest problem is dustmites ,though since taking the holistic drops her itching is now very little ,her problem is from vaccine damage so no more vaccines for her,i think every dog owner should research just what vaccine/spot on treatments/steroids actually do to the immune system that in turn damage the immune system hence causing all sorts of problems,just my input :),karen

The shots are supposed to build antibodies against the specific allergies. Sarah had many doses of steroid shot prior to the allergy shots, until they would not do it and I learned why. However they gave her about a years worth and steroid tabs before we saw a vet who said "no no no!".... You are correct Karen, they don't tell you that it is shortening their life. Heck most don't even tell you they are giving steroids.... They call them allergy shots.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
The shots are supposed to build antibodies against the specific allergies. Sarah had many doses of steroid shot prior to the allergy shots, until they would not do it and I learned why. However they gave her about a years worth and steroid tabs before we saw a vet who said "no no no!".... You are correct Karen, they don't tell you that it is shortening their life. Heck most don't even tell you they are giving steroids.... They call them allergy shots.
its amazing how we believe the vets,they lull us into a false sense of security doing more damage than good at times,i always look for an alternative before considering the vets,obviously some ailments need the vet but i really do believe that there is a lot to say about alternative meds,karen

OP
C

Cooper11

My Vet also mentioned the steroid shot but told me he didn't recommend it because it has long term effects and is not good for them. May shorten their life!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online