Ear Cleaning

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hey,

I bought one of those ear cleaners from Petco. Dozer has really been scratching his ears lately and the instructions say to insert the tube into the ear, squirt a bunch in and massage the ear for 15 seconds. I thought that they can get an ear infection that way? His ears are pretty waxy and I clean them often but was wondering if this was a safe alternative? Im scared about yeast with him and right now hes being moved to a food without potatoes but it has plenty of carbs 36%. Any thoughts, opinions, feedback?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes [MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] I am so glad you brought this up. You cannot get water in their ears, instant ear infection.

Ear cleaners however have added self drying chemicals that break down wax and dirt, and the liquid drys in the ear so that is exactly how to clear them with ear cleaner.

When massaging it in, really work it, you should hear a swishing sound, going up and down with the ear.

I prefer to get my ear cleaners from the vet than from petco or petsmart. What brand and what is the % of active ingredients does it have?

One word of caution, it is best to do this outside, they shake their ears to remove some of the fluid, after they do this, wipe again. I do it outside cuz I don't want dirt and yeast flying on my walls :laugh:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would be paranoid to do that too. Course the vets do it that way squirting whatever it is in their ears. Thankfully baby wipes are enough for mine or that would make me anxious. Hopefully this food change will kick in and you wont need to keep this up for long.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yes @BrooklynStar I am so glad you brought this up. You cannot get water in their ears, instant ear infection.

Ear cleaners however have added self drying chemicals that break down wax and dirt, and the liquid drys in the ear so that is exactly how to clear them with ear cleaner.

When massaging it in, really work it, you should hear a swishing sound, going up and down with the ear.

I prefer to get my ear cleaners from the vet than from petco or petsmart. What brand and what is the % of active ingredients does it have?

One word of caution, it is best to do this outside, they shake their ears to remove some of the fluid, after they do this, wipe again. I do it outside cuz I don't want dirt and yeast flying on my walls :laugh:

thanks for the info...im at work now so i dont have the ear cleaners info on hand for you but will follow up with you later tonight.

I would be paranoid to do that too. Course the vets do it that way squirting whatever it is in their ears. Thankfully baby wipes are enough for mine or that would make me anxious. Hopefully this food change will kick in and you wont need to keep this up for long.

Not sure if the food change will really help. Even though it has no potatoes or sugars it does have 36% carbs which then break down into sugar and can instill yeast growth. I know im self diagnosing here but his ears get a brown waxy buildup every other day or so. It's not a lot but noticeable and he does scratch his ears several times a day.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
thanks for the info...im at work now so i dont have the ear cleaners info on hand for you but will follow up with you later tonight.

Not sure if the food change will really help. Even though it has no potatoes or sugars it does have 36% carbs which then break down into sugar and can install yeast growth. I know im self diagnosing here but his ears get a brown waxy buildup every other day or so. It's not a lot but noticeable and he does scratch his ears several times a day.

Well if not, then dont be afraid to keep trying. You will find the right food to help with yeast. It is just such a challenge isnt it? Keeps us on our toes, trying to fix their little problems with allergies. haha I am working on poor Miila now. ugh... No yeast but BAD allergies.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Also, I think its fruitful to mention that a while back I did bring Dozers ears up to my vet but he said he didnt see any signs of infection. Im such a worry wart when it comes to him...in any event I made an appointment for the "master" bulldog vet in NYC out on Staten Island. Earliest they could get me in is May 2nd...

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Yes [MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] I am so glad you brought this up. You cannot get water in their ears, instant ear infection.

What is the best brand of ear flush, in your opinion? I don't like to keep putting antibiotics in Nigel's ear every week, so I was going to start flushing them out instead.

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hey,

I bought one of those ear cleaners from Petco. Dozer has really been scratching his ears lately and the instructions say to insert the tube into the ear, squirt a bunch in and massage the ear for 15 seconds. I thought that they can get an ear infection that way? His ears are pretty waxy and I clean them often but was wondering if this was a safe alternative? Im scared about yeast with him and right now hes being moved to a food without potatoes but it has plenty of carbs 36%. Any thoughts, opinions, feedback?

My Lilly has nasty yeast build up in her ears, and I've been doing soooo much research on how to clean it, and get rid of it. I found this stuff at petco last night, and I'm pretty happy with it. Here's link: http://www.petco.com/product/6581/V...-8381-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

It's got awesome reviews, so I decided to see if it would work. Its also all natural, and doesn't have any kind of weird ingredients which I also liked. But I was also leery about squirting stuff in her ear, because I didn't want a wet damp ear canal when I was done. What caught my eye was the drying liquid. It comes out like a cream, but slowly turns into a powdery type substance. Not like a lot so don't expect little puffs of powder to come out, but you can feel that it's drying the ear out. VERY cool stuff, and even after only 2 uses, it's seems to be working!! Last night I waited for her to start itching, and then applied it to see if it had any kind of effect. She hates putting it in, but once I massage it in she turns into a mush ball and loves it. And she didn't touch her ears all night! It was funny too, because it was like 10:30, and she's usually tired. But once I put this stuff in she started playing with her toys, and going nuts!! I think it provided A LOT of relief for her. This morning she was itching, so I put it in and once again she's a happy camper!! Looks like this stuff actually might work! Give it a go if you have it available!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My vet showed me how to clean Tanks ears. He said NOT the squirt the solution directly into his ears, but to take a good sized piece of a cotton ball, wet it with the ear solution and poke it into the ear canal. Then massage this for about 15 seconds and remove the cotton ball, discard and then do the other ear. He said to do this after each bath, which not only cleans his ears but will also take care of any water that may have gotten in. So far...so good. No ear issues yet :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I just read an article about a vet using boric acid and Pellitol ointment that I'd like to try, but I can't seem to get it anywhere. There is another ointment called Recalitol that is very similar to the Pellitol but they say you have to have your vet order it, so I guess I'll have to go thru my vet and pay almost twice as much, but if it works it'll be worth it to have Nigel's ears healthy instead of chronically infected every time I turn around! :)

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
My vet told me to use alcohol...just squirt some in massage it and than use a Q-tip....but you always have to be able to see the tip...don't go to far down the ear canal...Her ear wax was pretty dark he said that was a sign of ear infection. She also had some yeast infection. Her ears were filthy I was cleaning them out every other day...that should of told me she had something going on in there...but now I know. Does anyone else use the alcohol cleaning method? He also said to wet the ends of the Q-tips with the alcohol. I have not tried it yet I was to wait one week after she was done with her ear drops.

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

Hey

The ear cleaner I bought is

Dr golds extra gentle ear therapy

Contains: deionozed water, distiller witch hazel, dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate, tea tree oil, chlorhexidine gluconate, DMDM Hydantoin

Is this ok? It says it cleans disinfects and deodorizes and helps with yeast infections

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What is the best brand of ear flush, in your opinion? I don't like to keep putting antibiotics in Nigel's ear every week, so I was going to start flushing them out instead.

I use malacetic otic, my kiddos ears maybe have a bit of dirt in them each week but never any waxy build up or yeast anymore.

My vet told me to use alcohol...just squirt some in massage it and than use a Q-tip....but you always have to be able to see the tip...don't go to far down the ear canal...Her ear wax was pretty dark he said that was a sign of ear infection. She also had some yeast infection. Her ears were filthy I was cleaning them out every other day...that should of told me she had something going on in there...but now I know. Does anyone else use the alcohol cleaning method? He also said to wet the ends of the Q-tips with the alcohol. I have not tried it yet I was to wait one week after she was done with her ear drops.

[MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] I do have to question this. Straight alcohol I would think would be too harsh.... plus the smell of alcohol coming out of the ears would probably burn the eyes, yours and hers! :eek: If you were going to use something like that, go for witch hazel.

Hey

The ear cleaner I bought is

Dr golds extra gentle ear therapy

Contains: deionozed water, distiller witch hazel, dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate, tea tree oil, chlorhexidine gluconate, DMDM Hydantoin

Is this ok? It says it cleans disinfects and deodorizes and helps with yeast infections

Looks okay :up: I prefer a acetic solution myself, some of that stuff I don't really know what it is. Let us know how it goes! Good stuff is the witch hazel and chlorhexidine :up: I like those ingredients in it. And let me know how it smells too!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Also, I think its fruitful to mention that a while back I did bring Dozers ears up to my vet but he said he didnt see any signs of infection. Im such a worry wart when it comes to him...in any event I made an appointment for the "master" bulldog vet in NYC out on Staten Island. Earliest they could get me in is May 2nd...

Dr. Kinnear is awesome! He was great when I took Chunk for a second opinion on his eyes. (Though I forgot to ask him his opinion on food.) He's a cool old guy who really loves his bullies - and boy is it fun seeing all the bullies come and go while you are there. He basically confirmed everything my vet told me (which was very reassuring - not that I didn't trust her, but I was new to bullies and he is the master!) and referred me to a great ophthalmologist. Good luck and I look forward to hear what he says!

Oh and I use the ear wash from the vet too and it made a world of difference. Once a week I clean Chunk's ears with it and he stays infection free! I'll have to check the name of it when the sun comes up ... Now it is back to sleep for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.