Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ear Cleaning

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Yes @BrooklynStar I am so glad you brought this up. You cannot get water in their ears, instant ear infection.

Ear cleaners however have added self drying chemicals that break down wax and dirt, and the liquid drys in the ear so that is exactly how to clear them with ear cleaner.

When massaging it in, really work it, you should hear a swishing sound, going up and down with the ear.

I prefer to get my ear cleaners from the vet than from petco or petsmart. What brand and what is the % of active ingredients does it have?

One word of caution, it is best to do this outside, they shake their ears to remove some of the fluid, after they do this, wipe again. I do it outside cuz I don't want dirt and yeast flying on my walls
    Hey

The ear cleaner I bought is

Dr golds extra gentle ear therapy

Contains: deionozed water, distiller witch hazel, dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate, tea tree oil, chlorhexidine gluconate, DMDM Hydantoin

Is this ok? It says it cleans disinfects and deodorizes and helps with yeast infections

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ear Cleaning

Quote Originally Posted by rainyruth View Post
    What is the best brand of ear flush, in your opinion? I don't like to keep putting antibiotics in Nigel's ear every week, so I was going to start flushing them out instead.
    I use malacetic otic, my kiddos ears maybe have a bit of dirt in them each week but never any waxy build up or yeast anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GRACIE11 View Post
    My vet told me to use alcohol...just squirt some in massage it and than use a Q-tip....but you always have to be able to see the tip...don't go to far down the ear canal...Her ear wax was pretty dark he said that was a sign of ear infection. She also had some yeast infection. Her ears were filthy I was cleaning them out every other day...that should of told me she had something going on in there...but now I know. Does anyone else use the alcohol cleaning method? He also said to wet the ends of the Q-tips with the alcohol. I have not tried it yet I was to wait one week after she was done with her ear drops.
    @GRACIE11 I do have to question this. Straight alcohol I would think would be too harsh.... plus the smell of alcohol coming out of the ears would probably burn the eyes, yours and hers! If you were going to use something like that, go for witch hazel.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynStar View Post
    Hey

The ear cleaner I bought is

Dr golds extra gentle ear therapy

Contains: deionozed water, distiller witch hazel, dioctylsodium sulfosuccinate, tea tree oil, chlorhexidine gluconate, DMDM Hydantoin

Is this ok? It says it cleans disinfects and deodorizes and helps with yeast infections
    Looks okay I prefer a acetic solution myself, some of that stuff I don't really know what it is. Let us know how it goes! Good stuff is the witch hazel and chlorhexidine I like those ingredients in it. And let me know how it smells too!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Turi
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynStar View Post
    Also, I think its fruitful to mention that a while back I did bring Dozers ears up to my vet but he said he didnt see any signs of infection. Im such a worry wart when it comes to him...in any event I made an appointment for the "master" bulldog vet in NYC out on Staten Island. Earliest they could get me in is May 2nd...
    Dr. Kinnear is awesome! He was great when I took Chunk for a second opinion on his eyes. (Though I forgot to ask him his opinion on food.) He's a cool old guy who really loves his bullies - and boy is it fun seeing all the bullies come and go while you are there. He basically confirmed everything my vet told me (which was very reassuring - not that I didn't trust her, but I was new to bullies and he is the master!) and referred me to a great ophthalmologist. Good luck and I look forward to hear what he says!

Oh and I use the ear wash from the vet too and it made a world of difference. Once a week I clean Chunk's ears with it and he stays infection free! I'll have to check the name of it when the sun comes up ... Now it is back to sleep for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can close your eyes to things you don't want to see,
    but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel.

Live Genuinely

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i make my own using extra virgin olive oil with lavender in it,leave for about 30 mins then wipe out with colloidal silver,i do this monthly but if she seems to have itchy ears i will do this every 3 days or so till the itching goes,always plug the ears with cooton wool balls when bathing,karen

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Wow.

I'm clearly going to have to give ear cleaning more attention. There's nothing coming out of there and they appear to be clean.....but I've never dumped anything in there and I never get water in their ears during a bath. I wipe out their ears daily with the hypoallergenic baby wipe while I'm doing wrinkles, tail pockets and tear gutters......

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member BrooklynStar's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I use malacetic otic, my kiddos ears maybe have a bit of dirt in them each week but never any waxy build up or yeast anymore.

@GRACIE11 I do have to question this. Straight alcohol I would think would be too harsh.... plus the smell of alcohol coming out of the ears would probably burn the eyes, yours and hers! If you were going to use something like that, go for witch hazel.

Looks okay I prefer a acetic solution myself, some of that stuff I don't really know what it is. Let us know how it goes! Good stuff is the witch hazel and chlorhexidine I like those ingredients in it. And let me know how it smells too!
    Great thanks so much for your opinion it smells good and I put it in dozers ears last night. He woke up this morning and he didn't itch as much usually he goes at his ears maybe like four times but today he only went at them one time, and as of right now he hasn't even scratch his ears I'm not sure if that's an improvement or what but I'm going to try again tonight and see how it goes, the instructions said its safe to use every day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads