Lennie suddenly limping

lizita4

Feb 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lennie
I noticed Lennie suddenly started limping today on his walk. He seems to want to put very little weight on his back left leg. I got him home and looked at his pad for cuts and debris but found nothing. I manipulated the leg a bit and he didn't yelp or cry. He barely reacted except to try to bite me. Not hard, just the "please stop doing that" bite. I have no idea what happened. The only thing different he's been doing lately is jumping on the couch. But we always get him off of it immediately. Maybe he strained something on his way down?

I'm watching him for now and if he isn't better tomorrow, I'll call the vet. Is this the right course of action? Or should I be rushing him off to the vet immediately? I admit his breed has me paranoid.

Thanks!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I noticed Lennie suddenly started limping today on his walk. He seems to want to put very little weight on his back left leg. I got him home and looked at his pad for cuts and debris but found nothing. I manipulated the leg a bit and he didn't yelp or cry. He barely reacted except to try to bite me. Not hard, just the "please stop doing that" bite. I have no idea what happened. The only thing different he's been doing lately is jumping on the couch. But we always get him off of it immediately. Maybe he strained something on his way down?

I'm watching him for now and if he isn't better tomorrow, I'll call the vet. Is this the right course of action? Or should I be rushing him off to the vet immediately? I admit his breed has me paranoid.

Thanks!

No wait and see how he does before callin the vet. You will be told to "wait and see" then watch your money fly out the door LOL.

Probably just a tight muscle or trapped nerve like in humans. Is he still growing ? My Poppy got "growing pains".. Nothing medical could help her, she just needed time and rest.

OP
L

lizita4

Feb 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lennie
Yes. He's only six months. Thank you for the reassurance!

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] Gracie was going this same thing...she will tell her what the vet said!! I know that is it a great sign that she is not in pain when you touch it so that you have on the positive side!

C

Cooper11

Yes. He's only six months. Thank you for the reassurance!

I tagged my mom in the comment above...she will tell you exactly what they said but I know they said growing pains and or sprain also like [MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION].... gracie had xrays but before you do that I would wait and just keep an eye on her. They have Gracie a steroid shot and that helped her a lot!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..I'd keep him from jumping..try to limit his activity..and if you crate him..let him rest in crate more..if not better in a few days..or if he how's signs of discomfort..take him in. Probably pulled sumpin'!

OP
L

lizita4

Feb 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lennie
He's definitely not showing discomfort. He keeps trying to jump on the couch despite the limp.

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Gracie limped around for a week or two....not real bad but she stopped going up and down the steps so I thought I better get her to the vet.....he felt it said she wasn't acting like it hurt very bad he said he didn't think it was broke but I wanted x-rays anyway. It was not broke but just sprained. He gave her a crotozone shot. He said she should take it easy and loose some weight :w00t: I think she sprained it digging. That was a week ago and she is still limping...I asked if I should wrap it he said it wasn't bad enough. She wakes up stiff and sore every time she wakes up. I forgot to mention that so I'm going to call him and see what he thinks is causing that. Hope he is feeling better:yes: I would just wait a few more days before I would call the vet. Maybe you can give him something for pain...[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] .....I need some advice here about pain meds for the baby:yes4:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl had a limp and after an X-ray turned out to be arthritis. Just recently she aggravated one of her legs and has a slight limp but I'm giving her a baby aspirin twice a day. Check with your vet first.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Like said, waite and see for a few days before taking him to vet. Thats what they usually say in these cases.
Do you have stairs in your home? You should be carefull with stairs and jumping up and down couches with bulldogs and other heavy breeds. Their growth plates in their joints are soft untill about one year old and can be damaged. I would not give any pain meds now. If he's not feeling any pain then he could stress it even more.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.