Recent food change causing BIG, frequent poops

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hey guys,

I know I've been posting a lot, and I apologize but I'm just trying to stay on top of everything with Lilly. We recently switched her over to Nutrisca Lamb&Chickpea. She was eating Merricks Grammys Pot Pie. She was super gassy on Merricks, but after switching to Nutrisca, she's been great gas wise. One thing I notices was her poop seems to be a lot bigger lol. I know its gross, but it's definitely apparent. There nice and solid stools, but just big and she seems to be going more. I'm not sure if this is normal, so I wanted to run it by all of you. I was wondering if maybe I was feeding her too much? She usually gets a cup twice a day. She's a year old, and a little over 30 lbs. Owner said she was a "mini" bulldog. And let me tell you, she's the smallest bully I've ever seen. We just started adding some yogurt to her diet too to help digestion/gas/allergies. Is it just because I switched her over, and her body is adjusting? Please chime in if you got some ideas!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't think there is anything to be concerned with if they are all nice and solid as described. You may be feeding her a little too much but may not be, some bullys seem to need more. Personally though, if I were feeding my Samson that food I would only give him 3/4 cup twice a day because of the protein content. When he eats kibble with ~ 25% I do 1 cup twice a day and when the protein is over 30% I bring it down to 3/4 twice a day other wise he gains weight, more protein less they need. She may just be going more right now because she is adjusting to the new food. Post away, no one minds questions :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I found when I fed food that contained grains my dogs poo was a lot more. Raven does poo a lot, expecially compared to the poo I am used to picking up from my 2 & 3/4 lb yorkie, but it is definitely less and firmer than when she was eating the Eukanuba that the breeder sent her home on.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you'd feed her too much she would be getting fatter. Stool is waste, something that the dog can't digest. I feed raw and cause that is very digestible the stools are really small.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
If you'd feed her too much she would be getting fatter. Stool is waste, something that the dog can't digest. I feed raw and cause that is very digestible the stools are really small.

I thought about going the raw route, but decided its just way too expensive...I'm sure it's a great diet, but I'm lucky I have enough time to do what I'm doing for her now. Maybe down the line if I get a raise, and some more time opens up :]

BUT! I do have Nutrisca Raw Dinner Bites for her. They are freeze dried and can be used as a meal, or treat. I just break them up into small pieces and use them as treats. I figure at least she's getting some raw foods in her diet. She loves them too!!

Last edited:
OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I don't think there is anything to be concerned with if they are all nice and solid as described. You may be feeding her a little too much but may not be, some bullys seem to need more. Personally though, if I were feeding my Samson that food I would only give him 3/4 cup twice a day because of the protein content. When he eats kibble with ~ 25% I do 1 cup twice a day and when the protein is over 30% I bring it down to 3/4 twice a day other wise he gains weight, more protein less they need. She may just be going more right now because she is adjusting to the new food. Post away, no one minds questions :)

Her last poo was normal, so maybe it's just her adjusting to it. If I notice it going on, I'll cut it to 3/4 cup. I'm thrilled with the food though just because she doesn't fart anywhere near how she used. Let me tell you....It was the most....foul....ugh, I'll spare you the details but know I've never smelled anything so gross ever. I'm just hoping to see her allergies go away slowly but surely now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.