Pet Insurance yes or no?

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Mine is also SO expensive on trupanion. I pay over 100 dollars a month because i have the hip dysplasia in there as well. Did you try and change yours at all? Please let me know!!

I also confirmed the vet had him only as bulldog so there is no contradiction when I submit a bill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I signed up for Trupanion the day after we got Abby. I chose a $50 deductible and the optional optional benefits package. It cost's me $55 a month ($0 deductible would be $63/mo).

3 weeks later she was diagnosed with bi-lateral juvenile renal dyslpasia (kidney failure). Her medical bills are ridiculous and, after the cost of the visit and my 50 bucks, I get 90% of it back. It also covers 50% of prescription food and renal supplies (ringers, tubing, needles etc) I get away from the vets office.

edit...
If you do choose to get insurance with Trupanion, make sure you select plain bulldog for the breed. If you put English Bulldog the premium is $30 more.

Can you do that only check bulldog won't that effect you if they find out its an English bulldog? Couldn't they deny your claim?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Can you do that only check bulldog won't that effect you if they find out its an English bulldog? Couldn't they deny your claim?

There is no difference between English Bulldog and Bulldog. If you read the description on their own website it says they are the same (dog breed guide)

"The Bulldog, also known as the English Bulldog, originated in England and dates back to the 13th century. They were originally used for bull baiting, a sport in which bulldogs fought bulls. When bull baiting was outlawed in 1835, they bred the ferocity out of Bulldogs while maintaining the physical stature to create a friendly and loving pet. Bulldogs are mellow, easygoing, and easy to train. They are comical and amiable, and generally get along with other pets. Bulldogs require little exercise, only short walks in cool weather, as they tend to overheat easily. This makes them great apartment dogs and family pets. Grooming a Bulldog requires cleaning tail folds and facial wrinkles daily."

LOL here's a kick in the pants. I clicked on E to copy the description for English Bulldog and it isn't there anymore :laugh:

Call them today. Save yourself some money.

Attachments

• E.JPG
    E.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 42
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 44

ksanders04

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel
I just purchased my puppy, he is 6 months old, what are some common issues with the English Bulldog healthwise

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I just purchased my puppy, he is 6 months old, what are some common issues with the English Bulldog healthwise

Oh my...well there's allergies, cherry eye, hips, palette, hives, but probably the best thing you can do is get your pup on a good food! That sounds easier than it is because there is no perfect food for all Bully's. If you need help..ask @cowsmom. She's our food Queen and can save you lots of :bang:

Welcome..by the way! Not sure if I've had a proper :hiya:

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Yep I changed it to Plain bulldog no problem at all, they just want an honest selection of the breed. Looks like my breeder is having rumors of puppy mill, none purebreads etc etc and not providing papers as promised so I truly don't know the full breed so he is a bulldog.

So i phone Trupanion yesterday and asked them about it. They said they would have to have proof that she for sure isnt a pure bread. I for sure was never given any papers. They said my vet would need to give them a letter. but my vet thinks she looks like apurebread? so im not sure if i should even attempt this now :(

I definitely think she could be a purebread, but if theres a chance shes not (since i dont have papers) then why shhould i have to spend 30 more a month on her insurance? I feel like they're trying to scam me and give me a tough time here

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
So i phone Trupanion yesterday and asked them about it. They said they would have to have proof that she for sure isnt a pure bread. I for sure was never given any papers. They said my vet would need to give them a letter. but my vet thinks she looks like apurebread? so im not sure if i should even attempt this now :(

I definitely think she could be a purebread, but if theres a chance shes not (since i dont have papers) then why shhould i have to spend 30 more a month on her insurance? I feel like they're trying to scam me and give me a tough time here

I would call them again, get someone else on the phone. Someone who knows what they are talking about. Their own website doesn't even list English Bulldog as a breed anymore.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I would call them again, get someone else on the phone. Someone who knows what they are talking about. Their own website doesn't even list English Bulldog as a breed anymore.

I just looked at the site and they still have the option to select Enlgish bulldog when you try a quote, but you're right there is nothing anymore that describes the breed. I'm just not sure what else I can say because when i phone my vet she said that since Sumo looked a lot like an English Bulldog she could only send in a letter to the vet saying that I have told her that she isnt a purebread.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I just looked at the site and they still have the option to select Enlgish bulldog when you try a quote, but you're right there is nothing anymore that describes the breed. I'm just not sure what else I can say because when i phone my vet she said that since Sumo looked a lot like an English Bulldog she could only send in a letter to the vet saying that I have told her that she isnt a purebread.

Say the same thing that you said on the last call, just this time hopefully you'll be saying it to someone who knows what they are talking about. :)

Ask why you are paying more for an english bulldog when bulldog is cheaper. Point out that in the breed description of BULLDOG it clearly says "also known as English Bulldog". Also mention that EB isn't even on the breed description page. Purebred or not doesn't matter because they don't have MUT or MIXED in their drop down either ;)

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
It is confusing for sure, like twice I also could not find the breed description. Basically without papers no one knows for sure what the mix of breed your dog is. I would call back this evening and talk to someone else like twice had mentioned. Did you Vet say they could change it for you on your end? if so on the next call let them know your vet has it labled as plain bulldog and you selected incorrectly from the list not knowing there was a penalty for english bulldog where at this point you don't know if it is or isn't a purebread.

Far as i'm concerned they should remove that off the list as a they are all bulldogs and the term english has been taged on from England and British but not a true breed name for them.

Confusing for sure.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Say the same thing that you said on the last call, just this time hopefully you'll be saying it to someone who knows what they are talking about. :)

Ask why you are paying more for an english bulldog when bulldog is cheaper. Point out that in the breed description of BULLDOG it clearly says "also known as English Bulldog". Also mention that EB isn't even on the breed description page. Purebred or not doesn't matter because they don't have MUT or MIXED in their drop down either ;)

So i just phoned them back. The women is giving me such a tough time! Said that my vet needs to send something in. My vet told me that she could write a letter saying that i have told her that SUmo isn't a pure bread. But i dontk now for sure. How can i know for sure if i never received papers and i never saw her parents. It is very frustrating! I'm hoping that my vet will help me out with this. I don't want her to think that she's doing something wrong. She told me from Sumo's looks she thinks she's a purebread. But that still isnt certain right?
sumo.jpg

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
First of all, he is gorgeous!!

I'm not sure what to tell you. If it were me, I'd call back and ask to speak to a manager. There is just no way I would jump through any hoops just because their web developer can't manage a simple Google search. But that's me and I've been called the B word a time or 2 in my life :yes:. (I know! Shocking right! :eek:)

You have to do what you feel is right. If getting the letter from your vet works for you then that's what you should do :) But if you have any web development skills at all, you should at least call them and ask for that guys job. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing

Am3gross

May 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Hemi
So i just phoned them back. The women is giving me such a tough time! Said that my vet needs to send something in. My vet told me that she could write a letter saying that i have told her that SUmo isn't a pure bread. But i dontk now for sure. How can i know for sure if i never received papers and i never saw her parents. It is very frustrating! I'm hoping that my vet will help me out with this. I don't want her to think that she's doing something wrong. She told me from Sumo's looks she thinks she's a purebread. But that still isnt certain right?
View attachment 20466

If your vet is so sure he is a purebred ask him to write a letter to akc and see if they will give you papers on him... I bet he won't do that.. The ins company just does not want to lose that money, and I am surprised that the vet is not doing what you ask.. I think I may be finding another vet if I was in your shoes..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.