Pet Insurance yes or no?

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Just don't go with VPI - it was recommended by my vet's office and they covered nothing. Now, we got Chunk at 2 years old but he had no pre-existing conditions so we thought we were fine. They claimed his ear infection was pre-existing so would not pay out! They also didn't cover his entropion surgery. So basically, I figure they would only cover trauma. What a waste. I asked my vet about it after all this and she apologized up and down - they were finding out how little they covered and no longer endorse them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was wondering why everyone's is so much lower, mine is 80 and thought it was because of Canada. What do they treat difference for bulldog vrs English bulldog? I'm probably screwed to change now right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I honestly have no idea why they have 2 there. When I signed her up I did it by phone and the lady on the other end of the phone didn't know why either. I chose bulldog, her vet has English bulldog down for breed and they've still sent me checks. I don't even know if you can change it. You could always call them and ask.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yeah I called for clarification... The breeder has his papers as "English Bulldog" and the Vet will have copied that. Basically though go by the person's honesty but I would hate to have an issue and it 'not' be covered over technicalitys like that.

I guess if this was the first sign up, I did it online and selected the wrong one I wouldn't know any different but basically Bulldog means a cross like an Olde or another cross that your not 100% sure but it's definatly not a purebread English or american bulldog.

Hope that helps, I'm an honest fella so will continue to pay the premium so I don't have issues or red flags of using bulldog and papers are submitted as English Bulldog.

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
I have Healthy Paws! We got it the first week after we got Howard and I'm very glad we did. I pay over 70 a month but that is because I selected 90% coverage with a $50 annual deductible. He had a UTI a few weeks later and we paid our deductible and still got money back and they were very helpful. We got our check pretty soon after they got everything they needed from us. So now we get 90% off of everything non preventative for the rest of the year. It's freeing not to have to worry about cost.

What I also like is our other dog, Lucy, has had skin and ear issues. We purchased insurance for her at the same time as Howard so we figured that these would be preexisting since she had had several issues with them. They did a complete medical review and decided to give her a 6 month waiting period on skin/ear issues. So if she doesn't have any problems related to that in 6 months she will be completely covered after that. I felt like they were very fair.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

I agree with Karen. We had Trupanion. Just cancelled. I find insurance companies to be crooks. We just put away money in an account in case anything should come up with Guinness. But that is not an option for everyone, so for others insurance is the way to go. It is all an individual thing. No way is right or wrong. It's what works best for you.

[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] - The actual true name is the breed IS Bulldog though, not English Bulldog. That is really an untrue name that seems to have stuck with our breed of choice. So I would see if you can't get that changed if you can save $30 a month! That's a lot of money. No dishonesty as Kain is in fact a Bulldog :)

AndyDamon

Apr 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Anyone use VPI? They didn't want to cover my bully's entropion bec. it was pre existing. Right now I pay everything out of pocket. Anyone use vet discount services? Like United Pet Care or Pet Assure?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] - The actual true name is the breed IS Bulldog though, not English Bulldog. That is really an untrue name that seems to have stuck with our breed of choice. So I would see if you can't get that changed if you can save $30 a month! That's a lot of money. No dishonesty as Kain is in fact a Bulldog :)[/QUOTE]

I was on the AKC site last night and their isn't an option for English Bulldog as a breed, only bulldog, so you might be able to get them to change it save you some $.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we have pet plan.. they are wonderful. paid almost 3000 for Dukes eyes 800 for allergy issues they do pay for his meds BUT he is going to be 5 in Aug and premiums just went up to 81 a month :( i will not cancel but that is expensive! we started at around 33 a month and it went up each year? my thought is i would never want to have to make a decision because of money? I am NOT good at putting it away for emergencies so I guess it is a personal decision?

but as far as companies they are great.. never given us a problem and always cover everything we send in.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i have embrace...haven't had any issues with them...i pay about 38 a month to cover genetic and illness/accidents. i don't worry about shots and yearly. i think my deductible is 500 and they always email me when they get a claim and tell me what they received, how much i have left on my deductible....i like them...i have had them for 4 years

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I agree with Karen. We had Trupanion. Just cancelled. I find insurance companies to be crooks. We just put away money in an account in case anything should come up with Guinness. But that is not an option for everyone, so for others insurance is the way to go. It is all an individual thing. No way is right or wrong. It's what works best for you.

@Vince00 - The actual true name is the breed IS Bulldog though, not English Bulldog. That is really an untrue name that seems to have stuck with our breed of choice. So I would see if you can't get that changed if you can save $30 a month! That's a lot of money. No dishonesty as Kain is in fact a Bulldog :)

@Vince00 - The actual true name is the breed IS Bulldog though, not English Bulldog. That is really an untrue name that seems to have stuck with our breed of choice. So I would see if you can't get that changed if you can save $30 a month! That's a lot of money. No dishonesty as Kain is in fact a Bulldog :)

I was on the AKC site last night and their isn't an option for English Bulldog as a breed, only bulldog, so you might be able to get them to change it save you some $.

Thanks guys, I called my Vet and confirmed it is Bulldog as well, and changed it with Trupanion to Bulldog as well. Not sure why they have the term and confusion like that.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
They are all crooks to a degree. They prob do it to prey on the unsuspecting consumer in order to milk more money out of them.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Anyone use VPI? They didn't want to cover my bully's entropion bec. it was pre existing. Right now I pay everything out of pocket. Anyone use vet discount services? Like United Pet Care or Pet Assure?

I used to. They are awful - my vet stopped endorsing them because the pretty much cover nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I got Trupanion for both. Bo has a higher deductible than Bea simply because he's more athletic and I expect he'll have fewer issues - which has been true so far. I've never had to use it --- THANK GOD -- but I'm ready when there's an emergency!

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I was wondering why everyone's is so much lower, mine is 80 and thought it was because of Canada. What do they treat difference for bulldog vrs English bulldog? I'm probably screwed to change now right?

Mine is also SO expensive on trupanion. I pay over 100 dollars a month because i have the hip dysplasia in there as well. Did you try and change yours at all? Please let me know!!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Yep I changed it to Plain bulldog no problem at all, they just want an honest selection of the breed. Looks like my breeder is having rumors of puppy mill, none purebreads etc etc and not providing papers as promised so I truly don't know the full breed so he is a bulldog.

Most Reactions