Pet Insurance yes or no?

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Hi all, we are thinking about getting Healthy Paws Pet Insurance for our new puppy. Anybody have any advice about pet insurance? Good or bad? Any comments about Healthy Paws? Thanks for your help!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I can't comment on that company specifically but without a doubt YES to insurance in general. It's worth every penny

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yes 100%...best advice i can give is get a quote from every company...ASPCA, Trupanion, Healthy Paws, Purina, Petplan, ect and see who gives you the best bang for your buck.

Last edited:

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
i'm with trupanion. thank god too because sumo had enough things happen while she was a puppy. They cover 90% of almost everything, and i also got the hip dysplaisa add on in case. Sumo had some pneumonia, some kennel cough, so skin things here and there. all her antibiotics, x rays, tests etc would have cost me thousandsss of dollars!!!! i still had to pay a little but i would be in a very bad place without insurance. I highly recommend it! especially for the first year or so.

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Have any of you had any experience with CareCredit? I just saw that on EBN thread and wasn't sure how that works. I am leaning towards getting pet insurance though since there may be unexpected health problems that I want to make sure are covered. We would get the insurance as a puppy so hopefully that will avoid the whole "pre-existing condition" stuff since he will be a puppy. I did research on the different insurances and Healthy Paws has a 9.9 user rating, 90% coverage, $100 deductible, no annual or per incident claim limits and unlimited lifetime benefits per pet for around $66/month.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I got bubba trupanion ins.with hip displasia coverage. I got it while he's young because they don't cover anything pre-existing. Just in case he gets it later on. I would rec

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Have any of you had any experience with CareCredit? I just saw that on EBN thread and wasn't sure how that works. I am leaning towards getting pet insurance though since there may be unexpected health problems that I want to make sure are covered. We would get the insurance as a puppy so hopefully that will avoid the whole "pre-existing condition" stuff since he will be a puppy. I did research on the different insurances and Healthy Paws has a 9.9 user rating, 90% coverage, $100 deductible, no annual or per incident claim limits and unlimited lifetime benefits per pet for around $66/month.

I have Carecredit. We had a Rottie a few years ago who had back issues and we had her scheduled for emergency surgery..was going to be about 10,000...:eek: we'll she turned out NOT to be a candidate for surgery..bad hips too..but we ad appled for the Carecredit and kept it. I try and use it to keep it open and my plains if ever needed..it's a great companion to insurance. You can put your share of costs and copayment on it..have up to 2 years to pay....no interest. I recommend them...

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We are using Care Credit to do Aubrey's surgery this week. We didn't think much about getting insurance, but it probably would have been very helpful now that we are facing around $4100 or so total in vet bills for her illness. It certainly can't hurt to be prepared.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I signed up for Trupanion the day after we got Abby. I chose a $50 deductible and the optional optional benefits package. It cost's me $55 a month ($0 deductible would be $63/mo).

3 weeks later she was diagnosed with bi-lateral juvenile renal dyslpasia (kidney failure). Her medical bills are ridiculous and, after the cost of the visit and my 50 bucks, I get 90% of it back. It also covers 50% of prescription food and renal supplies (ringers, tubing, needles etc) I get away from the vets office.

edit...
If you do choose to get insurance with Trupanion, make sure you select plain bulldog for the breed. If you put English Bulldog the premium is $30 more.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Mar 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
No insurance here. Just paid $3200 for dozers ear ablation out of pocket.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i used it for the first year but now i put so much a month into an account for emergancies,i find that the insurance people are crafty beggars and will try not to pay out over here,karen

OP
ccurran

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
Great thanks for all the great information! We are definitely going to get health insurance and may supplement it with the CareCredit.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I signed up for Trupanion the day after we got Abby. I chose a $50 deductible and the optional optional benefits package. It cost's me $55 a month ($0 deductible would be $63/mo).

3 weeks later she was diagnosed with bi-lateral juvenile renal dyslpasia (kidney failure). Her medical bills are ridiculous and, after the cost of the visit and my 50 bucks, I get 90% of it back. It also covers 50% of prescription food and renal supplies (ringers, tubing, needles etc) I get away from the vets office.

edit...
If you do choose to get insurance with Trupanion, make sure you select plain bulldog for the breed. If you put English Bulldog the premium is $30 more.

I was wondering why everyone's is so much lower, mine is 80 and thought it was because of Canada. What do they treat difference for bulldog vrs English bulldog? I'm probably screwed to change now right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.