Puppy puking......

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Well I'm here again, but sad to say it is because my 5 week old puppy (on thursday) has started to puke. I am weaning them (there are 2) and I have fed them 3 times today a gruel w/formula mixture. Could it be that I didn't soak it long enough and as they lapped it, it is sitting heavy on her stomach? I grinded up Fromm Puppy Gold in a blender and added formula to it till it was runny. I did this 3 times today. I am heartbroke to say the least. I have been so overwhelmed by this puppy raising (by bottle since momma couldn't nurse). I am just exhausted and just can't seem to get going w/these girls! Someone PLEASE help me with the info. I need.....:begging:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am of no help ... so sorry you are going through this. I am tagging [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] for you!!! I know [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is away but just incase he gets access to the internet I've tagged him too.

Prayers for your babies ...:pray:

C

Cooper11

I have never dealt with puppies so no help really I m sure Lisa or Dave will chime in..... But maybe is it allergies...he may be allergic to something in the fromm.....I dunno if he is too young for allergies or not but that was what was causing my cooper to throw up...he was allergic to grain and I didn't figure it out until after a month of throwing up.....Hope this puppy stays strong!!!

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] I didn't know if you had saw this or maybe pm her....just wanted to tag you again....she seems worried and I know how fragile puppies are!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't think it is uncommon for some 'regurgitation' as I would call it, rather than puking. And it reeks of milky vomit. If it persits or is in heavy amounts (all I have ever seen is small amounts, more from a burp after having too much food) I would seek medical care to be certain. In our larger litter we had SOME puppy was doing this because I could smell it, however I never did find out which puppy it was. Whomever it was it only lasted for a few days, similar to transitioning from one food to another. They sure like to spread it all over tho, the tiny little puddle, and then the whole litter smelled of vomit. Aaaah.... I miss that smell because I miss those babies!

You can easily check if a puppy is dehydrated or undernourished by simply lifting the skin on their neck to a point. If it falls back down quickly, no dehydration. However if it falls slowly, or heaven forbid does not fall down at all- the pup needs IV fluids, and quickly.

Also a puppy who is dehydrated from throwing up will look like it is probably losing weight. If there is not too much but a bit of regurgitation.... keep your mind aware of it and what that baby, look for ANY signs whatsoever that she is not well. #1 sign of a puppy who is not doing well..... NOT EATING.

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Do you think that the Fromm Puppy Gold is to much for their tummies? Even though I soak it, it doesn't swell. Do you think I should try Purina One or something else that might be a bit gentler on their stomachs? Also how should I space their feedings and how many times a day? I oh so want these babies to do well....:(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The reason it does not swell as much is because it is actually more pure ingredients, it is actually like little meat pellets once soaked. Don't give purina it's garbage! You want you babies raised on a good quality food. At this age I do 3x or 4x a day, with milk in-between, fresh water, how much are they throwing up?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
You shouldn't have to run the food through the blender is it's soaked enough, it will be a soft nugget, with gravy. A puppy will also throw up if over stimulated after a feeding. Lisa is right about the skin check.

Are they drinking water?

OP
M

mom of 5

Jul 26, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Gucci & Louie
Only if I add their formula to it will they drink water. As for their food, I tried soaking it, but it still stayed hard. Their teeth are just now coming in. They may not be able to eat it if I didn't put in blender. Any ideas on how to make them drink water???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Slowly make the milk and add water, a bit more each day until it is mostly water, then no more milk.

A tip the food should be like soft little meat chunks. Are you using hot water? Hot water, about 15 Min should do it. What I do is blend it until their teeth come, slowly blending it a bit less each day, leaving some chunks, if theta are in offer it to them as a chunk, (they usaually leave the chunks behind) and once I see them eating the chunks when offered I stop with blending it up. If it's the only thing in their bowl, and you know they can eat it, they will.

Most Reactions