over heating ?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This is about Mugsy, my pug, BUT figured since bullies and pugs are so closely related it would be ok to put in the bulldog health forum. Not sure what happened exactly but it is warm here, high 70's or so. Mugsy is the neighborhood watch dog and the back neighbors were doing yard work so his job then is to patrol the back wall barking. What he has done now for over 5 years. Of all 3 pups Mugsy has NEVER given me reason to worry but today he came in panting~but a pant I had never seen or heard. I picked him up and he didnt wiggle which is odd too so it was like he knew he wasnt right. Got him some water and he still was panting so hard. To the point where I just decided today and now is bath time so he took and ice shower and of course instantly is fine. He may be 1 pound heavier than his usual and I have been keeping his measurement of food exact because he just looks a little more full than normal. (doesnt sound like much but I can see 2 pounds on Cutty so 1 pound on a 25 pound pup stands out to me) He has NEVER had a weight issue and still doesnt but isnt as lean I guess. Could that be enough to cause him to be overly hot when there is NOTHING else out of the norm or should I be concerned that maybe there could be something else wrong? I know paranoid but he has always been prefect health wise and this scared me. I have NEVER had to cool any of the pups down like this. At most just make them take a break and lay on the tile in the house. Thoughts?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Poor little Mugsy :( I remember reading that older pups are more susceptible to heat stroke. Maybe now that he is in his middle age years he is more sensitive to the heat.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor little Mugsy :( I remember reading that older pups are more susceptible to heat stroke. Maybe now that he is in his middle age years he is more sensitive to the heat.

Gosh I really hope not. Now I am going to be anxious all summer long. it isnt even hot today, just perfect actually. Well he IS going to be on a very tight diet until I see that pound gone to say the least, little does he know. Really made me sad when I was bathing them thinking how old he and Cutty are. I mean they are young still but it is like now is when little things can start. ugh......

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am guessing that because an ice cold bath put him right immediately that he was over heated. Yes, get him on a diet and just watch him from now on just to see if he is reacting in a more sensitive way now that he is getting a little older. I am hoping that this is just a one off ... maybe he was just a little over-zealous with the barking and guarding this time!! :pray:

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
over-heating is a problem for any brachiocephalic dog like bullies and probably pugs too. that's why i have been on the search for a gel pack harness to keep them cool. no luck yet, but there are collars that keep them cool as has been suggested to me here. i love fall and winter for that reason.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
over-heating is a problem for any brachiocephalic dog like bullies and probably pugs too. that's why i have been on the search for a gel pack harness to keep them cool. no luck yet, but there are collars that keep them cool as has been suggested to me here. i love fall and winter for that reason.

Yes it definitely is a problem with pugs same as bullies just not normal for him to react this way on a day like today especially. A cooling harness would be nice for when he is doing his "job" barking at the world. I have had to make him come in on hot hot days after barking too much and he has NEVER reacted this way is why it threw me so much. Hoping the 1 pound will make a diff anyhow or this will be a hard summer.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i worry about it every summer with my two. fortunately, ivy likes to go in her disney princess pool, but ollie goose-steps around the slightest bit of water, so i am always cooling the big guy down.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I am guessing that because an ice cold bath put him right immediately that he was over heated. Yes, get him on a diet and just watch him from now on just to see if he is reacting in a more sensitive way now that he is getting a little older. I am hoping that this is just a one off ... maybe he was just a little over-zealous with the barking and guarding this time!! :pray:
I agree, age and weight are factors in overheating!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.