Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
So I'm trying to stretch my comfort zone and get my dogs (and myself) exciting and secure about taking a doggie vacation at a pet hotel, so I can go on a vacation....

Made my decision and started the paperwork and getting them the proper medical documentation, which required some boosters, new bordatella vaccinations, and fecal cultures.... Vet wrote up the medical slip as though everything was a pass (because that was what we assumed) and said she would call tonight to let me know everything was cool.

Well she called....totally failed the fecal culture....Schultz has Coccidia......(no symptoms...ie diahrrea)... Am incredulous as to how he got this as I am forever washing him....:cursing::cursing::cursing:

Now both Schultz and Sophie (Weimaraner) need 10 days of medicine....guess we won't be getting evaluated at The Barkley this week....

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Zeus had Coccidia but he had diarrhea. I have had a Yorkie with Coccidia before and he had Coccidia so I recognized right away. Both of them took Albon for 10 days and were fie after that. I hope your bully does well.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I believe Tate had coccidia also at 8weeks. He did fine on his medicine, fecal culture came back negative after the regimen. It's good you're getting it treated now and soon enough you'll be able to board them at the hotel and enjoy your vacation!

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=3913]wheezer[/MENTION] [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Thanks for the well wishes and the information on the medicine and sharing your positive outcomes......

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
While my pups have certainly had fecal tests, I had no idea what this was. I'm happy to know that it's easily treatable [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]!

If you're like me and have no idea what this is...here you go: (from Wikipedia)

Coccidia in dogs

Young puppies are frequently infected with coccidia and often develop active Coccidiosis—even puppies obtained from diligent professional breeders. Infected puppies almost always have received the parasite from their mother's feces. Typically, healthy adult animals shedding the parasite's oocysts in their feces will be asymptomatic because of their developed immune systems. However, undeveloped immune systems make puppies more susceptible. Further, stressors such as new owners, travel, weather changes, and unsanitary conditions are believed to activate infections in susceptible animals.

Symptoms in young dogs are universal: at some point around 2–3 months of age, an infected dog develops persistently loose stools. This diarrhea proceeds to stool containing liquid, thick mucus, and light colored fecal matter. As the infection progresses, spots of blood may become apparent in the stool, and sudden bowel movements may surprise both dog and owner alike. Other symptoms may include poor appetite, vomiting, dehydration, and sometimes death. Coccidia infection is so common that any pup under 4 months old with these symptoms can almost surely be assumed to have coccidiosis.

Fortunately, the treatment is inexpensive, extremely effective, and routine. A veterinarian can easily diagnose the disease through low-powered microscopic examination of an affected dog's feces, which usually will be replete with oocysts. One of many easily administered and inexpensive drugs will be prescribed, and, in the course of just a few days, an infection will be eliminated or perhaps reduced to such a level that the dog's immune system can make its own progress against the infection. Even when an infection has progressed sufficiently that blood is present in feces, permanent damage to the gastrointestinal system is rare, and the dog will most likely make a complete recovery without long-lasting negative effects.

If one dog of a litter has coccidiosis, then most certainly all dogs at a breeder's kennels have active coccidia infections. Breeders should be notified if a newly-acquired pup is discovered to be infected with coccidia. Breeders can take steps to eradicate the organism from their kennels, including applying medications in bulk to an entire facility.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]
Thanks for posting that.... It is super common in puppies and rescues that come from kennels....not quite as common in healthy adult dogs, especially one's that don't display any symptoms ie. Persistent loose stools.... It really surprised my vet....she thinks Schultz's body has adapted to the parasite and that's why he doesn't display a reaction....we are both hoping that once he has the treatment and doesn't have Coccidia his body will be better able to handle the yeast issues he's been combatting......so maybe this is a great discovery!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sounds like finding out about it now is more of a positive than a negative for Schultz

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@cowsmom @wheezer @cali baker

Thanks for the well wishes and the information on the medicine and sharing your positive outcomes......

Fish Zole, its a tablet for bacteria in a fish aquarium, The vet will sell you this pill for $15. You can get a hole bottle for less then $10. you only need one pill. This pill along with the Aldon will take care of it. I am very surprised there weren't the symptoms of bloody diarrhea. It is highly contagious to other canine.

Good luck on your trip when you get to that point. sounds like a blast

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
@ Sherry
Fish Zole, its a tablet for bacteria in a fish aquarium, The vet will sell you this pill for $15. You can get a hole bottle for less then $10. you only need one pill. This pill along with the Aldon will take care of it. I am very surprised there weren't the symptoms of bloody diarrhea. It is highly contagious to other canine.

We are starting the Albon today, wasn't offered the other pill.....double dose tonight then single doses for the next 9 days....offer lots of extra water....and then redo fecal test 1 week after their last dose.....

And yes zero symptoms.... His BM's are normal.... Just got off the phone with the vet and she asked if I remember him eating rabbit droppings.... No but that doesn't mean he didn't..... I'm glad we tested as his regular check up isn't for many months....it would have gone untreated for a long time...

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Update: first 10 day round of Albon unsuccessful in clearing Coccidia, second 10 day round of Albon with the addition of dose of metronidazole on day 1 unsuccessful in clearing the Coccidia, so that makes 39 days we've been quarentined from being around any other animals.....vet wants to do a 5 day round of heavy dose of metronidazole then wait 7 days for a retest before she starts calling vet schools ..... Any one have a holistic approach for this problem it's killing me that I'm giving these loves medicine that's hard on their systems without any positive benefits.....help

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.