OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Well, here we are about 6 months later. Abby is getting worse. She is now to the point that she is blind in one eye, can hardly see in the other. I came to her last night to give her a treat and she never realized I was there until she smelled the treat, by that point I was almost to her nose.

She is still getting around, very slowly, but this is her routine, 4:30 comes down to breakfest with Bella and Sophie, goes out side to reliever herself and then back to bed. 5:30pm comes down for dinner, goes out and then lays in the family room with us until bedtime, gets up and goes outside then Terri carries her upstairs. I was hesitant to post her sunning photo, her eyes have clouded over and she doesn't look her best, but She looked better than ever that day.
I have family even mentioning it will soon be time, my parents are already wanting me to "put her out of her misery" I don't know if I am stalling because of guilt or the fact I don't think it is actually time. URGHHHHH If only they could actually talk like in the Movie "UP"
I am going to give it until the weekend and see what happens. The vets gave me drops for her eyes, they have gotten clouded over, red and she keeps them closed quite a bit. The vet thinks that her meds might be drying them up and wants to see if they help. I will know in a couple days. We are planning on going to Bullympics in Hollywood Fl this weekend. If she isn't up to it, my son and his girlfriend said they would stay here. I will keep everyone posted.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I am so sorry! You are in my prayers. I truly believe you will know when it is the "right" time! Just know we are all here to help and support you in anyway!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very sorry to hear about Abby, I sure hope the drops help. I think you will know when it is the right time. You are her mommie:heart: and noone can probably be more of the one to know than you. When you decide to let her go, you will know that you made the choice when you felt the time is right. I don't think you should let anyone else persuade your decision, otherwise you will always feel that "what if" feeling in your gut.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I am so sorry for you and Abby. I wish I had words to comfort you. I agree that you will know and you should talk with the vet about it. If it were me I would look at wether or not she is still happy. Does she still get excited, does she delight in the things she used to . If she seems more unhappy than happy, then you two need to have a talk. It may sound silly to "talk" to your dog but I believe on some level you can communicate. Also enjoy the cuddling while you can, those will be memories you will always have. Poor Abby :*(

I wrote this post based on the first post and didn't read through the comment were you had updated :bust:

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am so sorry that you may be faced with this decision .... I do agree with what everybody elso has said that you, and only you, will know when it is the right time. I think that as long as she seems to be happy and contented that things should be just left as they are and hopefully the eye drops will help.

:hug::hug::hug::hug:

L

Lucy-licious

I am so sorry you are going through this :hug:
You will know when its her time, i have been in this situation with my Border Collie Shep ,13. 3 yrs ago. Its hard but you will know xxx :hug::hug:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
I'm so sorry for you and Abby :hug: When we found out Cass had cancer and there was nothing they could do but keep her comfortable I kept asking everyone "how will I know when it's time?" Everyone always said "they'll let you know" I was very skeptical and worried I was keeping her here for my own selfishness. She was always a happy lovable girl and when we came home on the 21 st ..she let me know it was time. I could just tell she was in terrible pain and had to let her go. Her cute bully moans weren't just from her moving her big ol bully butt around, they were from pain. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done, but I know it was for the best for her. Abby will let you know :hug:

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
as someone said earlier in this thread 'you will do it for HER'. you will get to the point that you know she is ready and you will be able to give the ok to let her go. i went through this several months ago with my 14 yr old doby. the vet said her vitals were good, she had a strong heart and she could even see...but her arthritis, it was terrible. she had been on a couple meds including the rimadyl. started out at lower dosages but progressed from 25 mg to 100 mg in a couple months time and that is when it started to make her sick (she would throw up her food at times and there would be traces of blood in it). i would put a hotpad on her hips sometimes to help relax her or warm wet towels and massage her to make her comfortable. she would stretch out and relax but it got to a point where she would look at me with her ears down and i could just tell she was tired. my vet was very compasionate and did not rush the process and i was able to stay with my girl for as long as i wanted. my vet never swaded me either way when making my decision...he did, however, confirm that i did the right thing when it was done. it was a strange feeling for a month or so after. i realized just how much care and time i dedicated to her. i miss her often but know she had a good long life.

sorry, i didn't mean to ramble but hope you know that this process is hard but you can do this knowing that you were the best bully mom you could be. remembering moments and talking about her will help with the healing process. :*( {hugs}

Members online

No members online now.