Red Bumps?? :(

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All! So over the past couple days Winston has developed these red bumps all under his chin and by his nose, his face also seems to be very red. I am not sure if its an allergy, acne, or an infection! It seems to be better when he wakes up in the morning and worse at night. I have tried Witch Hazel but it doesn't seem to be clearing it up. I used stainless steel bowls and wash them before every feeding. He is on NVI limited ingredient Lamb and has been on it since November. Could he have all of a sudden developed an allergy to it?? I am going to post some pictures below, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! :D
IMG_0471.jpgIMG_0474.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
could be environmental. sarah has them to on and off. doesnt have to be the food since hes been on it since november. he could be outside sniffing something he is allergic to or just sniffing the air. sarah is also worse at night time with her allergies right now. i put hydrocortisone cream on hers and it seems to help and i also give her benadryl. one per 25 pounds. when i give sarah a new pill i give her a bit to see if it agrees with her. let us know whats happening.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you! He is ok with benedryl and I have been giving him one a day, I was scared to give him more then that because it makes him sooo sleepy. He's 50 pounds so it would be two?? Could the one not be enough? I was thinking environmental too because he loves to shove his head in the grass now! That's his new thing. I will try the cortisone too and see if that helps. I was hoping it wasn't his food because we already know hes allergic to carrots and its very difficult to find food that doesn't have it! I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted! Thanks again!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you! He is ok with benedryl and I have been giving him one a day, I was scared to give him more then that because it makes him sooo sleepy. He's 50 pounds so it would be two?? Could the one not be enough? I was thinking environmental too because he loves to shove his head in the grass now! That's his new thing. I will try the cortisone too and see if that helps. I was hoping it wasn't his food because we already know hes allergic to carrots and its very difficult to find food that doesn't have it! I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted! Thanks again!!
yes you could give more i give sarah one and half and if needed the other half depending on her allergies. and i dunno if youve tried it but zyrtec works better imo. i was told 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm but ive heard you can give more. dunno. just a suggestion and zyrtec is not as sedating either.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive also heard of people using stridex on it but have never tried it myself

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Does anything help it that you know of???

i do what you do and use stainless steel bowls, wash his face often. I use baby wipes instead of stridex because the stridex made it worse. I am hoping that this is just a phase. It is getting a little bit better. Sometimes it may get real raw and bleed. so far watson's haven't bled yet.

I know he loves to dig that chin into everything so it doesn't help. benadryl did not make it any better for Watson

Tanya Allen

Feb 9, 2012
Langley Afb, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eden
My vet told me it was acne...and told me to get some acne wipes to use on here chin...it helps...when she lets me put it on there....I think its a EB thing!...good luck , if you find something that helps please share...

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wash his chin, dry and then put a thin layer of Neosporin, Desitin or even vaseline. You need a moisture barrier to protect the skin from whatever is irritating it. Wash his water bowl frequently because if he's like my Wilson he'll slobber into his water bowl.

Last edited:

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Wash his chin, dry and then put a thin layer of Neosporin, Desitin or even vaseline. You need a moisture barrier to protect the skin from whatever is irritating it. Wash his water bowl frequently because if he's like my Wilson he'll slobber into his water bowl.

Thanks for the tip. I have some vaseline so I will try to put a thin layer on next time I wash his face.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey there! We are still battling the acne! Its gotten so much better since our switch to Fromm Beef! I clean it 3x a day with babywipes/then noxema pads. I always dry his face after he drinks/eats. Stainless steel bowls. It could be allergies or just acne. I went to the vet the other day and he gave us animax which has made such a difference in 2 days already!

C

Cooper11

Cooper hasn't really had the acne yet.....knock on wood I hope he skips that....we have enough of all the other problems so help me god no acne!!! Anyway I would say defiantly allergies for the face being so red. I can see he is red on the chin, around the mouth, by the nose, and under his eyes.... Cooper had basically the same redness on his face plus on his forehead. Right now I am battling allergies and who knows what else with Cooper. I have switch to the 4 Star Fromm Beef Fritatta and had him on veggies before that because of tummy issues....between the veggies and the Fromm my Coopers face look so good and so white!!! He will still get the pink in his face from time to time but I know he has environmental allergies....I am waiting for his allergy test results. But as I look at pics of his a month ago and then look at him today I am amazed out how such a simple just changing his food could help his face clear up... Also with the acne...Are you using stainless steal bowls???

How old is he?

And yes he could develop an allergy all the sudden... Cooper was on the same food from 8 weeks til 6 months and then all the sudden he started throwing up. After a month i think I figured it out myself that he was allergic to grain. Since the switch to the grain free fromm no more throwing up either! SO yes allergies and yeast infections and so on can pop up out of nowhere! Good Luck!!!

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks everyone! I may try the Zyrtec I just wasn't sure if he could take it and how much! I use stainless steel bowls and I wash his water bowl out once a day also. I will try the neosporin too, I will try anything at this point! Winston is 11 months old, so he is still a baby! I will have to keep an eye on it too because he doesn't seem sick from the food but if for some reason it doesn't clear up we will try another slow food switch. The problem is finding another food without carrots!! Thanks for your help everyone, I will keep you posted!!

C

Cooper11

Thanks everyone! I may try the Zyrtec I just wasn't sure if he could take it and how much! I use stainless steel bowls and I wash his water bowl out once a day also. I will try the neosporin too, I will try anything at this point! Winston is 11 months old, so he is still a baby! I will have to keep an eye on it too because he doesn't seem sick from the food but if for some reason it doesn't clear up we will try another slow food switch. The problem is finding another food without carrots!! Thanks for your help everyone, I will keep you posted!!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can probably help you on finding a food with no carrots...... I also give Coop Zrytec :) And you may want to consider an allergy test if you haven't done so already......The say its best to wait until they are a year old to have it done. I just had Coopers done and he is 8 months but he is having some major allergy problems so it was recommended I do one now. But then you will know what he is allergic to and might help the acne and the redness in his face :) I am going to try to put before and after pics of Cooper up to show you how amazing they can look after you find the right food! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.