:[ Spike's eye

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
So last night spikes left eye I noticed he couldn't open it. He was pawing at it and trying to rub it w the carpet. I put a drop of Neopolydex opth susp/oint that our vet gave us for his eye allergies. He has always had problems with that eye. I also gave him a Benadryl. I tried to see if I could see it but he wouldn't let me. So I went on google and did some research. Idk if I'm right but it could b that his 3rd eyelid could be inflamed. He lower eye lid was swollen and red. He didn't have much drainage. So I massaged it for him bc my poor baby couldn't rub it. I gave him 25mg of Benadryl and he went to sleep with mama for the night :] this morning he still couldn't open it so I cleaned it w a soft cotton ball and put another drop in his eye. A friend of mine who use to be a vet tech told me to give him some baby aspirin so I went to Petsmart and found some dog aspirin 300 mg. I didn't give it to him bc I wasn't going to b able to b there to monitor him. He has his annual appointment tomorrow so hopefully he will be ok. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this. Spike is 2 years 4 months and is very healthy. I attached a pix of my baby's face idk if u can see the left eye and how swollen it is. I've read so much online about how aspirin this and aspirin that with dogs. So I'm kind of hesitant to give it to him. But I feel like he is in pain.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334511164.358242.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
They are SO cute! :D The eye could even be a scratch. Miila was squinting a lot when hers got scratched and she was trying to rub it also. As for the aspirin I am not sure. I have actually never given any to the pups before.

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Kramer's eye looked exactly like your baby's. We were referred to a veterinary ophthalmologist when the vet couldn't see any scratches. Turns out his eyelashes were growing inwards and scratching his cornea. Poor baby. Hope he feels better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
More than likely the hairs have caused a corneal ulcer, he will need antibiotic eye ointment applied to his eye as many times a day as you can. If he has hairs rubbing it would be good to use this 1x a day on a regular basis, even if his eyes look good. The drops are good from lubricating but they just do not last long enough, the ointment stays in longer.

You will need to keep him from getting to his eye and causing further damage. (Do you have an E-collar?) I think the sooner to the vet the better, and you want this ointment:

Neomycin & Polymyxin B sulfates and Bacitracin Zine Ophthalmic Ointment USP

Or better/similar/stronger. Eyes take a while to heal depending on the damage and the size of the ulcer.... so it must be your utmost priority to apply the ointment often.

2 tubes is better than one! Ask for two!!!! They don't last very long.

xxoo hugs to Spike

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
When my dog Wilson had his eye closed like that it turned out to be an ulcer. That was over two years ago. After entropion surgery and then having his eye sewn shut for a couple of weeks the ulcer healed and he's been on Optimmune ointment since. His other eye is fine but I still put moisturizing eyedrops in that one because of his seasonal allergies make his eyes red, itchy and weepy.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Well he went to the vet yesterday and she said he had entropian in that one left eye. His eyelashes are rubbing against the eyeball. She said we would keep an eye on it bc it's only the second time in his 2 years of life that his eye has shut on him. He weighs 52.3 lbs and is healthy as can be.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5iiecs

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
ollie and ivy have both had a corneal ulcer and it looked a lot like this. it can happen anywhere, because eyes are exposed more than other breeds.

we had to follow a regimen of BNP and tetracycline (both antibiotics) plus eye ointment (to lubricate and protect--like lacrilube--and you can buy this at any drugstore and use it anytime -because it is safe- instead of paying primo dollars at the vet), plus muro (which helps draw fluid out of the eye).

i feel like an expert on this bc it took months to deal with ivy's and ollie's took about a month.

this is just to let you know what our vet prescribed, and he did tell us that the muro has to be administered a few hours away from any other med so that it doesn't draw the med out.

the diagnostic for a corneal ulcer is dying the eye. ivy's ulcer stained as a little heart...curious.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH's right eye looked like Spikes left about a month ago. We flushed it with normal saline and used Optimmune in it. A few days later it was like new. We think maybe she either had something in her eye and we flushed it out and/or had a scratch on her eye.... Spike and Sparkle are as adorable as always. ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.