Bullies and allergies

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok so we all know bullies have allergies and some have more than others. we all try hard to not give our bullies things they are allergic to. some have been tested and know the allergies some are still guessing but we all strive to do the best for our bullies. well i want to talk about somethings maybe we dont think about that i have just discovered with sarah. ok i had her tested and although the test was not as extensive for food as i would like it gave me a nice starting place. ok so i get her pretty situated with food and she is doing fine with environmental with the help of zyrtec and benadryl. so i needed some new heartworm medicine. im looking it up online to see if i can get it there as i just switched vets and they did not have her records yet. hm im looking and what do i see? im giving her pills that are pork flavored. What? Its the one protein she is allergic to. oh great. so i get some new pills from the vet and hm i cannot for the life of me find somewhere that lists the flavor. so i give it to her and she seems fine. now im looking for a new joint medicine for her because of her leg condition i want the best i can get. so im looking into some others ones as ive been using cosequin ds for a long time now. dont hurt to look right? so im reading the label to see whats in it and how much of it is in it and what do i read? Its pork flavor. So all this time ive been giving my baby 2 things she is allergic to and didnt even know it. of course im stopping both but it just makes me realize and i hope this makes you realize that you could be giving your bully stuff they are allergic to without even knowing it. Check the labels of everything you give your baby.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great advice [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] !

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Totally agree!!! I had given Coop his heart worm the night before he got the bald spots on his back and I was wondering if it could have been from that!!! Thanks for posting Sandra!! Great Thread.... I can't remember if I even mentioned the heart worm in my post about Cooper but I was thinking it the whole time..but then I said no I doubt it is from that!! I can't wait to get hid allergy test results so I know what he can and can't have!!

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@cowsmom

Totally agree!!! I had given Coop his heart worm the night before he got the bald spots on his back and I was wondering if it could have been from that!!! Thanks for posting Sandra!! Great Thread.... I can't remember if I even mentioned the heart worm in my post about Cooper but I was thinking it the whole time..but then I said no I doubt it is from that!! I can't wait to get hid allergy test results so I know what he can and can't have!!
aw hon i so hope you get coop straightened out and yes the allergy test will help so much. am waiting for results with you. :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Great job Sandy. :bravo: I can't say I've ever thought to look at the ingrediants in meds. I'll be sure to check thinks like that out.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
you know ive had 5 bulldogs over the years with not 1 allergy but this one ,well naf or what,ive taken to reading all labels on any meds even those that i have to get from the vet which isnt very often as i prefer natural meds,the allergy test did throw up a couple of things i would not have thought would cause problems ,like dog dander!!!!,i have not wormed her since starting raw 12 months ago,i only worm if i see worms or weight loss or constant poops ,but yes all labels need reading i agree,karen

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Very good advice! It is so easy to not think about the "little" things like vitamins and such that can still contain crucial ingredients in the allergy battle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.