HELP!! Head Tremors!?

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Please HELP!! My 9 month old Bullie just started having 'head tremors' where his head bobs back and forth violently like a Parkinson's patient. I'm scared to death. Ive read that there is no cure and that most people make the tremors surpass by giving their baby some sugar in the form of yogurt, ice cream, corn syrup, ect. Has anyone else experienced this?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... all is ok as long as he is alert and response to you. Give him any type of treat to distract the muscles. The temors are unknown as to the cause which is why you read there is no cure.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2942]Bulliemom25[/MENTION]. We have had this issue on and off in the past. Once it was caused by Benadryl (and it is caused by most other antihistamines for the Chunkster), other times it was caused by a particular food (though I don't know WHAT in the food). We distract him and give him a treat; his precious owner was told to give him a scoop of vanilla ice cream. He sure does love that! She said he got it when he was on another med too. They say it could also be caused from a drop in blood sugar, so when Chunk was having it from food, we fed him more often while we switched foods until he was off the bad one. That eliminated it. Just some thoughts! It's terrible to see, I know but rest assured it doesn't hurt them. It's just annoying; it was equated me that it is similar to what we feel when our eye twitches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2942]Bulliemom25[/MENTION] This is just so common ... just search idiopathic head tremors in this site and you will see. In the meantime, is this what your bully was doing???

http://youtu.be/KJlwBoFuJMY

Now in our case it wasn't anything to do with low blood sugar it was over-stimulation with the thought of a treat.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
These head tremors can also be caused by vitamin B deficiency.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
When Samson had his first one I was hysterical, I thought something REALLY REALLY awful was happening! Well now that I know what it is I don't freak out so much. When Samson has his, his head shakes like he is saying no but other than that he is completely alert, he can walk, eat, gives kisses, it's just the head bob. My vet told me that he will be fine as long as the episodes remain as described where he is totally alert. If they lose consciousness, can't walk, etc then it's a whole separate and more serious issue. They tend to happen when he is half asleep, not totally asleep.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
:( We just had this start as well. It's only happened once. BF just kept saying his name and keeping him focused and I brought him a treat...BF's had a dog with epilepsy before so he was calm with head tremors. I just felt bad/sad for Thor :(

OP
Bulliemom25

Bulliemom25

Aug 4, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Kramer :)
Thank you all for your advice. Kramers are also when he is sleepy, in fact he woke up 4 times throughout the night with these fits. Each time we give him a little corn syrup and they go away. It's heartbreaking to see. He had eye surgery last Tuesday, could that have triggered something? The first time he had a head tremor was the day after his surgery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all for your advice. Kramers are also when he is sleepy, in fact he woke up 4 times throughout the night with these fits. Each time we give him a little corn syrup and they go away. It's heartbreaking to see. He had eye surgery last Tuesday, could that have triggered something? The first time he had a head tremor was the day after his surgery.

Some believe stress plays a part in them, but they are in no pain at all and it is like when we have a twitch on your body. Give him any type of treat or even a piece of his kibble, just something to distract the muscles.

Most Reactions