walking the king !!!!!

ilba7raini

Mar 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
king
king is 5 months old, I'm new to bulldogs and my question is how often should i walk him, daily ???

and when is the best time after the meal of before it??

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I haven't got an answer for you but wanted to welcome you if you haven't posted in the welcomes section. :) Would love to see pix of King.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I walk my dog three times a day. Quick walks after breakfast and at noon time. Then after dinner which is about a thirty minute walk. I don't think it matters what time but it shouldn't be too hot outside when you walk him.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You dont HAVE to walk them if you have enough yard to get exercise in. Sadly, my kids dont get walked hardly ever. Hubby wont let me walk them alone, afraid of theft. He works so much that walking isnt a priority often BUT the pups play like crazy outside so they are happy. Just be very careful of the heat. Even high 70's can be too much if it is humid. Went to the vet last year about this time actually (bully vet where there are people waiting outside cuz it is so busy) in the morning, maybe 10 at the latest and when I checked in they warned me about the heat and be safe outside cuz they had just lost a pup who had been waiting to be seen and overheated. Before 10 am on a spring, not summer day. Sad. Sorry to ramble but being only 5 months old you havent had summer yet so thought I would let you know, in case you didnt already. ;) I am sure I missed an intro somewhere, so welcome. Would love to see pics of King. ;)

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
king is 5 months old, I'm new to bulldogs and my question is how often should i walk him, daily ???

and when is the best time after the meal of before it??

I would walk him as often as you can if the weather permits. Cold is alright but overheating can be dangerous. Walking is bonding time between you guys, and helps him understand you are the "leader" so to speak. Plus the structure is good for pups. AND if you walk in new areas often it will build his confidence. Sorry to go on lol I truly believe a tired dog is a good dog.

It's preferred to walk them before their meal so they feel like they've "worked" for their food. After meals wait 30 mins to an hour before playing or walking to let their belly settle.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, walk them before a meal. Plus do not walk them when it is hot out, they will quickly overheat and die. We don't walk ours that much, they have a big yard to play in in the afternnon when it gets cooler, or in the cool mornings.

L

Lucy-licious

I'm guessing the weather is pretty hot there during the day. Does it cool in the evenings...if so try walking King then or early morning, like David suggests. Just a little walk, and take water to help keep him cool. I'd just take him a short walk, enough to do his business and maybe take him on longer ones in the winter when it's cooler outside.
I saw a pic of him in your other thread but more are always welcome :)

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I believe walking daily is good for their physical, as well as their mental health... keeps them from going stir crazy and bored, and it's good for them to experience meeting other people and dogs at a young age so that they don't experience social problems as they get older.

I always walk Moe in the evening, but that is mostly because it's cooler. Moe's absolute favorite time to walk though is when it is raining... he'll get all excited and splash in the puddles like a little kid.

Bullymommy55

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Star
This is a great question, we have started doing 2 mile walks as a family at night as the sun starts to go down. It usually takes us 40 mins to complete it and we also stop a few times to give her water thru out the walk. Im hoping this is not to much for her?

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
This is a great question, we have started doing 2 mile walks as a family at night as the sun starts to go down. It usually takes us 40 mins to complete it and we also stop a few times to give her water thru out the walk. Im hoping this is not to much for her?

As long as she's hydrated and the temperature is comfortable then she's a lucky bully to be taken out with the family!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba and my other dogs won't have it if I don't either take them for a 30min walk everyday or take them to the dog park! I only do itate evening. I wait 45 min after walking to feed them. Careful of bloat. Also I don't let him drink a ton at the dog park and run around. That can cause bloat also. I have to sometimes make him relax an slow down at the dog park if he looks too hot. I judge by how long his tongue gets! Lol. Most on here rec that I restrict his time laying outside because they usually can not self regulate and go in shade when hot. Bubba thankfully will. Good luck!

OP
I

ilba7raini

Mar 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
king
thanks guys for the reply's ,, over here in the middle east it gets up to over 100 , but i have him indoors with air-condition , now its about 70-80
but i have a big back yard in goes there to do his thing and walks back in....

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I walk my dogs every night but wait at least an hour after eating. I don't rush them when they walk since they love to sniff and stare at everything anyway.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.