Red and swollen bum!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wilson and BabyGirl use to get those but it had to be allergies because once I eliminated all the food and treats he was allergic to -- all those moist red or scabby things went away. I haven't had those red sore looking things since. Just itchy paws because he has to step on grass to go potty. Sorry you're going thru all this confusion. Patience and time will see you thru. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for these things.

OP
C

Cooper11

Wilson and BabyGirl use to get those but it had to be allergies because once I eliminated all the food and treats he was allergic to -- all those moist red or scabby things went away. I haven't had those red sore looking things since. Just itchy paws because he has to step on grass to go potty. Sorry you're going thru all this confusion. Patience and time will see you thru. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for these things.

:) Thanks!! I was just telling my mom today I really like you and think you are so nice! :yes: Also don't ever change your avatar it cracks me up every time I look at it! I hope it is allergies Coop has. I am so anal right now and telling my son not to touch his back. so did your lose hair also then.....were they just red inflamed spots on the skin??? I am wondering if it is an allergy to the meds cuz I haven't changed anything or else he is allergic to something in the fromm and it is just now affecting him.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Yes, the hair just falls out when the skin is red and moist. It's kind of scarey when you pull on the hair and it just comes off so easily and when you brush them they are left with balding patches mostly along the back and near the tail in my experience. Those red bleeding spots usually showed up around the neck area, back and tail area. These are the times when you have to be the most brave and not freak out. You just got to focus on trying to make it better and be aware that it will take time even though I know everybody wants their bullies to be back to normal quickly so we can get on with life. Being a bully pawrent is not so easy as that but it can be very rewarding when you finally figure out what's wrong and see improvement. I feel like I've been through war with Wilson and his problems but I would still not trade my Wilson for any "easier" pet cuz I love him like crazy and he's taught me to be strong. Hope you find the source of the problems and you be strong too!

OP
C

Cooper11

Yes, the hair just falls out when the skin is red and moist. It's kind of scarey when you pull on the hair and it just comes off so easily and when you brush them they are left with balding patches mostly along the back and near the tail in my experience. Those red bleeding spots usually showed up around the neck area, back and tail area. These are the times when you have to be the most brave and not freak out. You just got to focus on trying to make it better and be aware that it will take time even though I know everybody wants their bullies to be back to normal quickly so we can get on with life. Being a bully pawrent is not so easy as that but it can be very rewarding when you finally figure out what's wrong and see improvement. I feel like I've been through war with Wilson and his problems but I would still not trade my Wilson for any "easier" pet cuz I love him like crazy and he's taught me to be strong. Hope you find the source of the problems and you be strong too!

That makes me feel a lot better. His redness is more in the middle of the back and going up towards the neck. He is more white on his neck than his back but I notice his neck is really red and I can tell the hair is thin there. I felt so bad my mom was thinking maybe I brushed him too much. I knew that was not the issue cause I usually brush him everyday sometimes I miss a day and he has never had any problems. if anything the brushing helped me to find the problem. Gosh there was so much hair coming off him. He had done that before when I first got the zoom groom thing and brushed him so much hair came of but not like this. Regardless of if I brush him or not his hair is falling out and you can't pet him without pulling the hair out.... Thank You so much what you describe is exactly what coopers skin is doing

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
bulldogs heal very quickly ,they are hardy dogs,dont be afraid to clean the rashes ,they have a very high pain threshold i think this is why sometimes we dont always pick up on the ailments they get until they are quite bad,try to stop freaking out ,bulldogs are not made of glass lol,relax and get him cleared up ,rethink his food perhaps firstly ,see how he goes,you will have to do at least 6 weeks on a new food trial before knowing if it suits,oh and have plenty of nappy rash cream on hand for his sores lol,good luck,karen

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Just remember hair grows back. I'm petting Wilson right now and his coat his soft and thick now. As a matter of fact it was raining but he still went out to poo and when he came in I toweled him dry and his fur is so soft. You think it's the rain water? But there were a lot of days when I use to feel scabs and his neck skin would look so red under his white fur and I would just Ughhhh! in disgust cuz I couldn't figure out what it was. That's when I finally just got the allergy test done and then I went from there and I changed his food to one on the list that came with the allergy test results, but making sure it was still a 4-6 star food. He's not allergic to chicken so he gets a boiled chicken breast too! I shred it and mix with rice and chopped green beans. They get NO TREATS at all just their deer antlers and they have survived without them. I'm going to try and make my own dog biscuits with rice flour for special occasions. Hope you feeling better now.

OP
C

Cooper11

bulldogs heal very quickly ,they are hardy dogs,dont be afraid to clean the rashes ,they have a very high pain threshold i think this is why sometimes we dont always pick up on the ailments they get until they are quite bad,try to stop freaking out ,bulldogs are not made of glass lol,relax and get him cleared up ,rethink his food perhaps firstly ,see how he goes,you will have to do at least 6 weeks on a new food trial before knowing if it suits,oh and have plenty of nappy rash cream on hand for his sores lol,good luck,karen

:) Thank ya! He doesn't seem like it is hurting him so that is a good thing. i got the allergy test done so i am hoping we can go from there. I am sure he is tired of me messing with his butt, his toes, his face, his neck, and his back. He is probably thinking Gosh give me a break and stop messing with me :) And I have learned to have ointment, witch hazel, cotton balls, diaper wipes, and creams..... I should buy stock in all that stuff!!! I just switched to fromm well he has been on it for 2 weeks I think and he was going good until this happened after the vet appt yesterday. I wish the allergy test would come sooner!!!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
he will feel pain of course but he is strong and bulldogs are usually patient dogs,hopefully the test will be back soon and you will be able to eliminate whats bothering him,bulldogs can be a real pain in the but !!!,ive had mine allergy tested through holistic testing as i hate vet products lol but at times we need them unfortunatly ,ive had to get a course of antibiotics for mine as she has an infection due to being in season,i hate using antibiotics but will give her 2 weeks of acidophillus after the antibiotics to counter act what they take out of her gut ,keep on doing what your doing for your bulldog and im sure he will rcover very soon,karen

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
All of mine are shedding, and Buddy, Lucy, Jewel, abd Blondie are sheeding like crazy, I can run my hands down their back and hair just falls off. As far as the bald spots I would get them scraped just to be sure, but I have a feeling it's allergies. Try a different FROMM, we did the Beef one one time and BeBe did not do well on it. Buddy is on their new protein, game bird and doing well on it. Lucy did pretty good on surf N turf, so you just need to try which one works for Coop. Once the allergy test come back you can narrow it down then,

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow Meg, that certainly does look like something to be concerned about. That would truly suck if he cannot have certain meds. Poor Cooper needs a break! And you! I hope you are at the vet today or it looks better today.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] Meg -- how is the boy today?

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 Meg -- how is the boy today?
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Sorry I totally thought I posted this already..... Anyway I woke up and called vet and was going to take him they were squeezing me in.... I got up and Cooper followed and he came sat on my lap. Believe it or not his back had basically totally healed. Other than the lack of hair it wasn't red there was not red spots under the fur or anything. So I called and cancelled. I also sent the video to the vet and had him call me when he had time. he said it is odd. He had tested Gracie for mange the day before I took cooper in and he mange test was negative. She has a small patch like the size of a dime where there is no hair. He said he would think she would have mange if Cooper did but still wants me to watch it. I think I am going to take him in Monday just to be safe. but he is laying by me now and If I would do another video for you guys you would see nothing... it is even hard to see the bald spot. So either the oitment stuff worked (christine the stuff I told you I had and you said to use I loaded it on and then wiped it off of him after a couple hours cuz it was all over his fur) and I gave him his keflex.... he looks good. vet thought if it was allergic reaction to something the steroid shot would have prevented it.....so he said still could be mange and if it gets bad bring him in and this could be his problem all along.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@desertskybulldogs

Sorry I totally thought I posted this already..... Anyway I woke up and called vet and was going to take him they were squeezing me in.... I got up and Cooper followed and he came sat on my lap. Believe it or not his back had basically totally healed. Other than the lack of hair it wasn't red there was not red spots under the fur or anything. So I called and cancelled. I also sent the video to the vet and had him call me when he had time. he said it is odd. He had tested Gracie for mange the day before I took cooper in and he mange test was negative. She has a small patch like the size of a dime where there is no hair. He said he would think she would have mange if Cooper did but still wants me to watch it. I think I am going to take him in Monday just to be safe. but he is laying by me now and If I would do another video for you guys you would see nothing... it is even hard to see the bald spot. So either the oitment stuff worked (christine the stuff I told you I had and you said to use I loaded it on and then wiped it off of him after a couple hours cuz it was all over his fur) and I gave him his keflex.... he looks good. vet thought if it was allergic reaction to something the steroid shot would have prevented it.....so he said still could be mange and if it gets bad bring him in and this could be his problem all along.

Hmmm... interesting. Not a red mark to be had, huh? Animax is great stuff, but I did not think it would clear up that quick!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmm... interesting. Not a red mark to be had, huh? Animax is great stuff, but I did not think it would clear up that quick!

It does, I use Panalog however.... Same thing, it clears stuff up overnight usually. Use it in gunky nose ropes and looks fabulous the next day.

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
Meg, I am so glad Cooper is better!! Hopefully, this is all allergies! The steroids should clear up any symptoms from an allergic reaction in a day or two. Sounds like that is what is happening so Cooper should continue to improve each day. Don't worry! His hair will grow back. It seems every time you get over one hurdle, you have another one with Cooper. This will soon all go away and you will forget all of this. Thinking of you and Cooper!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.