Red and swollen bum!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
Yes yeast or bacteria... Either way it would cause butt scooting... And possible infection if it gets bad. I agree with @2BullyMama with the bumps, cysts and now the butt you should get to vet, he probably needs antibiotics. Allergy test would be a good idea too.

So if Gracie has yeast infection in her ears that could cause butt scooting?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So if Gracie has yeast infection in her ears that could cause butt scooting?

No, but if she has it in her vulva area or under her tail, yes. When females mature they can have creases around thei vulva, and the only way to itch it is to scoot. Unlike most dogs or cats they cannot reach to lick it, (thank you). Since they cannot clean themselves (again thank you) you must keep those folds clean and bacteria free. Two of my girls squat low (pretty much sitting in their puddle) so i clean them constantly.

Usually in the ears they will rub their ears on furniture or carpet, or do a head shake twitch, like they got a bug in their ear or something is in it.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Nigel used to have yeast and cysts around his tail, it was slimy and Very itchy, sometimes when we would clean the area it would bleed. My vet gave me TrizCHLOR but he beefed it up with antibiotics and cortisone in there, it worked great for him! Poor little Cooper, he's been through the mill lately :/

OP
C

Cooper11

I took coop to vet. Got an allergy test done he got 2 shots of antibiotic and a steriod shot. Says I have been taking good care of him n his butt looks way better told me to keep doing what I am doing and he didn't give me anything for it. Tested his toes. Said his toes, he doesn't think are cysts. They took a sample n are doing culture on them. they scraped and and looked at it under microscope and that is how they know is it bacteria and the culture will tell more. Since he was red between every toe is why he was thinking more of an allergy related and bacteria infection. So they gave me oitment for them. Wrote it all down so I didn't forget!!
blank.gif
. His scabby things on back n neck are also from allergies they think. I will get allergy test result in a week or 2. They said his tail pocket probably won't grow the hair back but he said it looks good n I will have to watch it cuz it will be a reocurring issue. Also said I'm just going to have my hands full and allergies are going to be a big issue for coop. He could tell just by looking at him and with the toe thing n the scabby thing. His face was a little red when we went in n vet said he noticed right away. Ears look greats!!! I did the witch hazel on tail last night because it was looking better and it was helping so I just used it again and the gold bond...and it is looking better and better every day. He don't mind the witch hazel but he whines and growls at me when I put the gold bond on! He is a tired boy now after the vet.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] so if I didn't give benedryl today and he only had it yesterday morning the allergy test should be fine right????

I have now spent over $1300 in about a months time on test for Coop! shhhh we will not be telling the hubby :eek: lol

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] [MENTION=4471]Gunnys Mom[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=3913]wheezer[/MENTION] [MENTION=4263]rainyruth[/MENTION] [MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

Thanks for everyone caring so much about Cooper and giving me great advice it means a lot to me that I am not the only one who cares about my baby!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Glad you got some answers! Glad things are getting better! Hoping the list of allergies is minor and things that are easy to avoid! I know this has been tough but things willl get better once you get some answers! Let me know if there is anything I can do! We are going in 2months for the test!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
aww poor cooper - i really hope he gets better. Damn allergies! I really hate them because we deal with them here too - all of us in fact! ugh! I just need a lifetime supply of claritin and benadryl.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good news. I'm sure that money wise it stings but what you wouldn't do for your baby? Have you considered raw feeding for him? It is usually the best for dogs with allergies.

OP
C

Cooper11

Good news. I'm sure that money wise it stings but what you wouldn't do for your baby? Have you considered raw feeding for him? It is usually the best for dogs with allergies.

You know I have boggled that option in my mind here and there....I have a 2 year ols and 7 year old and don't want the germies around them with the raw food..... I also considered the dehydrated raw..... I have him on fromm right now and his face looks great and no more tears stains..... i think the allergies that are causing the toes, and scabby things are from environmental allergies but now 100% sure. I will see what his allergy test says and maybe raw will be an option!! :) Is that what you feed Usko..... and is Usko biggiesmall brother cuz i think i saw some one say that and he looks a lot like him....what a cutie!!!

OP
C

Cooper11

Glad you got some answers! Glad things are getting better! Hoping the list of allergies is minor and things that are easy to avoid! I know this has been tough but things willl get better once you get some answers! Let me know if there is anything I can do! We are going in 2months for the test!

Thank You! I was trying to wait to. I told the vet I wanted one done today and he said he would recommend it too.... and I said if I need another done later that is fine. I went to a new vet my mom took Gracie to yesterday and I think this is the winner!! he is very good and the allergy test was 280 instead of 400 that is was at the other vet. I went to pet smart after and they asked what vet I went to and I named the 3 I have gone to and they said the one I went to today is awesome and pet smart uses them for all their vet stuff and they have a very good rep. He checked coop over so good. he still weighs about 41-42 pounds but at least he hasn't lost... I am thinking he might have lost some and is now gaining a little now with the fromm. At first the scale said 38 and I bout :poo: i said wow he lost almost 5 lbs. and then I put him on there again and it read a different number and stayed at that number after 3 times of trying lol.

OP
C

Cooper11

Vet also recommended the allergy meds to like benedryl and zyrtec. Coop is so tired now he went in the bedroom and slept in his bed.... he never lays in that he always lays in my other dogs bed that is about too small for him !

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That is funny, but for sure Usko and Biggie has the same Champion dog in their pedigree that even looks like them. If you google Merriveen make My Day, you can see a picture of him. World is really getting small.
I've fed Usko raw since he was about 7 moths old. He never liked kibble and was starting to show signs of allergies. I took the plundge then and would never go back even though because of his bladder stones the vet wanted to but him on Hill's prescription kibble. He'd probably starve himself before eating that. He loves his food now and is doing great! It's funny, but it's nice to see Usko waiting for his food instead of looking at you like "you got to be kidding"!
You know better what to do when you get the results of the allergy test. I hope there is an answer to all his troubles.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wow, I feel for you and Cooper. :hug: A lot of us have been down this road and I'm still on it. Although I do have him on the right food it's the environmental allergies (grass and weeds) I battle. After increasing Wilsons Benadryl it has been much better now. He gets probiotics, flaxseed oil, and some other things and his coat is so thick and healthy but it's his paws that I have to worry about. I seem to have it under control with that hibiclens wash (I got it at Target but you have to go to the pharmacy and ask for it as it is not in the general aisle) and then an antiseptic spray I got from the vet. He also gets optimmune ointment for one of his eyes and the other I just use moisturizing eyedrops because his eyes get red with the allergies. But you know we just got to Keep on Truckin' for our bulldogs even if it hurts the pocketbook.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@
2BullyMama
so if I didn't give benedryl today and he only had it yesterday morning the allergy test should be fine right????

So glad the vet is listening and doing all the right test to get you the answers you need. And, yes, your test should be fine. It is more about the steroids, because they suppress the allergen in the system and the test result will be a false negative.... Benedryl doesn't really suppress, just gives some relief which is why I said none the day of the test.

:hug: to the Coop for me

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] So happy you got to get that allergy test done...now once and for all we can find out what exactly Coop is allergic too..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.