Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Red and swollen bum!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Red and swollen bum!

I dont know if that could be a reaction the shots he got yesterday! Im thinking not but you never know! I would have the vet do a skin scrape just to find out! Thats the only way to be sure...It should be done soon b/c if its something like mange it could get worse..I doubt it is but the only way to tell is a skin scrape! It doesnt look like hotspots either..Poor Cooper! Its been one thing after another for him!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper11 View Post
    The video shows it better than the pic did.... he was going to scrap the scabby things on his back and I can't remember if he did... I think he didn't cuz I said with the benedryl they were getting better so he said that was good. They scraped his toes and did the culture and show lots of bacteria. I think he is having a reaction to one of the shots... I bet if I would take him out and brush him more (im not going to) but I bet if I did his upper neck all the way to that spot would be bald! You can see the redness when I list his fur up and it is spotty and very red... way redder than the video shows. He doesn't seem to be in pain... I have hydrocortisone cream and Animax (from the vet) should I put one of those on it or neosporin???

Use the Animax.... it looks like hives sort of
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Use the Animax.... it looks like hives sort of
    Thank You Christine... I just messaged Snook and told her I was going to use that. I am calling vet in the morning and I am sure he will squeeze him in.... it doesn't smell but I can see it is all over his upper back and neck and I am sure spreading....could he get hives from one of the antibiotics. I just gave him keflex too that is what they gave be today for his toe infection

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper11 View Post
    Thank You Christine... I just messaged Snook and told her I was going to use that. I am calling vet in the morning and I am sure he will squeeze him in.... it doesn't smell but I can see it is all over his upper back and neck and I am sure spreading....could he get hives from one of the antibiotics. I just gave him keflex too that is what they gave be today for his toe infection
    Not sure, but anyone/dog can be allergic to anything. One of my brothers and a sister are allergic to penicillin. Everything else about him is fine/normal?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

@Cooper11 Hoping all goes well! to you and Cooper! Give smooch for me!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Not sure, but anyone/dog can be allergic to anything. One of my brothers and a sister are allergic to penicillin. Everything else about him is fine/normal?
    Yes everything is normal. I actually can tell he feels better and his toes look so much better from the steroid shot. I was amazed at how quickly it worked. I only give him the fromm and his normal veggies and apples for treats. Only thing different is I gave him his heart worm last night and that he is shedding so bed. But I dunno if it that he is shedding or if he is actually losing his fur. It looks bad and even my 7 year old was like mom whats from with Coopers back. I can tell it is spreading and it is so red. I hope it is not mange. It doesn't smell or anything and I hope its not contagious cuz he is sleeping with us (hes my baby so I can't make him sleep in kennel ) and him and Gracie played a lot tonight so I hope she doesn't get it if it is..... Other than that I can't think of any changes I have made that would cause it other than the shots. I didn't give him benedryl the last 2 days and when I was I noticed the red scabby things were going away....I dunno why his skin is doing this I hope it is allergies. i feel bad for my baby. Thanks Christine xoxoxoxoxo

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Wilson and BabyGirl use to get those but it had to be allergies because once I eliminated all the food and treats he was allergic to -- all those moist red or scabby things went away. I haven't had those red sore looking things since. Just itchy paws because he has to step on grass to go potty. Sorry you're going thru all this confusion. Patience and time will see you thru. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for these things.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by Fontanafox View Post
    Wilson and BabyGirl use to get those but it had to be allergies because once I eliminated all the food and treats he was allergic to -- all those moist red or scabby things went away. I haven't had those red sore looking things since. Just itchy paws because he has to step on grass to go potty. Sorry you're going thru all this confusion. Patience and time will see you thru. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for these things.

Thanks!! I was just telling my mom today I really like you and think you are so nice! Also don't ever change your avatar it cracks me up every time I look at it! I hope it is allergies Coop has. I am so anal right now and telling my son not to touch his back. so did your lose hair also then.....were they just red inflamed spots on the skin??? I am wondering if it is an allergy to the meds cuz I haven't changed anything or else he is allergic to something in the fromm and it is just now affecting him.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the hair just falls out when the skin is red and moist. It's kind of scarey when you pull on the hair and it just comes off so easily and when you brush them they are left with balding patches mostly along the back and near the tail in my experience. Those red bleeding spots usually showed up around the neck area, back and tail area. These are the times when you have to be the most brave and not freak out. You just got to focus on trying to make it better and be aware that it will take time even though I know everybody wants their bullies to be back to normal quickly so we can get on with life. Being a bully pawrent is not so easy as that but it can be very rewarding when you finally figure out what's wrong and see improvement. I feel like I've been through war with Wilson and his problems but I would still not trade my Wilson for any "easier" pet cuz I love him like crazy and he's taught me to be strong. Hope you find the source of the problems and you be strong too!
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Cooper11

Quote Originally Posted by Fontanafox View Post
    Yes, the hair just falls out when the skin is red and moist. It's kind of scarey when you pull on the hair and it just comes off so easily and when you brush them they are left with balding patches mostly along the back and near the tail in my experience. Those red bleeding spots usually showed up around the neck area, back and tail area. These are the times when you have to be the most brave and not freak out. You just got to focus on trying to make it better and be aware that it will take time even though I know everybody wants their bullies to be back to normal quickly so we can get on with life. Being a bully pawrent is not so easy as that but it can be very rewarding when you finally figure out what's wrong and see improvement. I feel like I've been through war with Wilson and his problems but I would still not trade my Wilson for any "easier" pet cuz I love him like crazy and he's taught me to be strong. Hope you find the source of the problems and you be strong too!
    That makes me feel a lot better. His redness is more in the middle of the back and going up towards the neck. He is more white on his neck than his back but I notice his neck is really red and I can tell the hair is thin there. I felt so bad my mom was thinking maybe I brushed him too much. I knew that was not the issue cause I usually brush him everyday sometimes I miss a day and he has never had any problems. if anything the brushing helped me to find the problem. Gosh there was so much hair coming off him. He had done that before when I first got the zoom groom thing and brushed him so much hair came of but not like this. Regardless of if I brush him or not his hair is falling out and you can't pet him without pulling the hair out.... Thank You so much what you describe is exactly what coopers skin is doing

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

bulldogs heal very quickly ,they are hardy dogs,dont be afraid to clean the rashes ,they have a very high pain threshold i think this is why sometimes we dont always pick up on the ailments they get until they are quite bad,try to stop freaking out ,bulldogs are not made of glass lol,relax and get him cleared up ,rethink his food perhaps firstly ,see how he goes,you will have to do at least 6 weeks on a new food trial before knowing if it suits,oh and have plenty of nappy rash cream on hand for his sores lol,good luck,karen

Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Just remember hair grows back. I'm petting Wilson right now and his coat his soft and thick now. As a matter of fact it was raining but he still went out to poo and when he came in I toweled him dry and his fur is so soft. You think it's the rain water? But there were a lot of days when I use to feel scabs and his neck skin would look so red under his white fur and I would just Ughhhh! in disgust cuz I couldn't figure out what it was. That's when I finally just got the allergy test done and then I went from there and I changed his food to one on the list that came with the allergy test results, but making sure it was still a 4-6 star food. He's not allergic to chicken so he gets a boiled chicken breast too! I shred it and mix with rice and chopped green beans. They get NO TREATS at all just their deer antlers and they have survived without them. I'm going to try and make my own dog biscuits with rice flour for special occasions. Hope you feeling better now.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads