Red and swollen bum!

C

Cooper11

So Cooper has had scabby like red spots on his back like on his neck and on his lower back by his tail. I noticed tonight they are becoming more red and maybe even losing hair. Also his cysts between his toes are not getting any better and are between almost every toe. I talked to Lisa @desertskybulldogs about it and she recommended this medicated shampoo that I am going to order and hopefully it will help...any other suggesting?? Epson salt isn't helping!

Ok So tonight I gave Cooper a bath he had one about 10 days ago but he needed one bad and I held off as long as I could. So I was scrubbing him and then went to his bum and noticed his bum hole was very swollen. I thought at first he had a tumor or a hemroid but then I looked under his tail and it was so red and he had lost hair under there. I feel so so bad. He hasn't been doing anything that would hint his bum was hurting. He doesn't have a tail pocket but I do clean under his tail here and there with a wipe cause it gets a little dirty. I have been doing my normal maintenance that I do with him and I want to show everyone how fast things can come with bullies. His bum was fine 10 days ago at that bath and now it is so red. I feel like such a bad mommy. I was going to not do his anal glands cuz I know it is sore he sits down when I touch it and will naw at his paw...... I then thought well I will try to do the glands if he seems like it hurt I will stop. He let me do them and it was the most I have ever gotten out of them. I just did them at his last bath too.....I dunno if this is yeast infection. It did feel slimy under his tail and I was trying to smell but I had soap on him already I couldn't smell anything. Or is it anal glands leaking and causing an infection..... Please give me your input!! I have witch hazel and malacetic ultra I can use if you all think that will help.....

here are some pics..... I feel so bad!
:cry:

553688_390808974274710_100000368316435_1296210_294019980_n.jpg559403_390809094274698_100000368316435_1296211_983894922_n.jpg He was moving so kinda hard to see!

Last edited:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm not much help on this one. The only thing I would think is that after the area is really dry you could try desitin or some type of barrier cream to help ease any irritation and protect the area?

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I belive this is caused by yeast! I am not 100% sure...I have seen threads on this and it all says to keep clean, dry and apply destin on the area! The others will be by to give more input

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sounds like yeast to me. if so i use tolnaftate and hydrocortisone cream and neosporin on it. girl with the cysts and this problem im wondering if you have found the right food after all. maybe go back to the veggies and see if he gets better. did he have this with the veggies? cant remember

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] I agree with Sandra! It could be getting worse with the new food! If you do just veggies you have to have a source of proetin until you can get allergy test done!

OP
C

Cooper11

sounds like yeast to me. if so i use tolnaftate and hydrocortisone cream and neosporin on it. girl with the cysts and this problem im wondering if you have found the right food after all. maybe go back to the veggies and see if he gets better. did he have this with the veggies? cant remember

To tell ya the truth I can't remember if he had the scabby things on the veggies......I don't remember when they started. But I do know they are getting worse!! Ugh!!!! He looks so so good to. minus those and now this but thing.....He stayed at my moms this past weekend and they go in the garage quite a bit cuz they smoke and won't smoke in house...but it was nice this weekend and I think she had the bullies outside.....I dunno if this just came all the sudden or if the butt thing slowly/quickly came in the 10 days

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
aww poor cooper i hope he gets better soon - he was looking so great in the pics you recently posted. :(

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
If it is yeast infection, then you should get a potatoe free kibble. The stuff on his back sounds like a hotspot. You should shave the hair and keep it clean and dry

OP
C

Cooper11

:eek: OMG [MENTION=3872]Watson[/MENTION] serious!!! shave him!!!!???? hot spots are like scabs????? Also don't you think he would have gotten them from the sweet potatoes and the white potatoes when I was making him veggies???

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson has a couple hotspots right now on the back of his neck. It is dry now and has a scab. It will heal.he gets then often. I realized it is environmental because I take him back in the woods and even I get bitten by bugs. He was scratching it and it bled and oozed and now a scab forms. You just shave the hotspot if it is not healing. Makes it easier to clean

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCh... poor little guy! This happens to Banks when her yeast issues kick in.... I use the witch hazel on a cotton pad once/twice a day till it clears up.

You said he is gnawing at his paws too? Are they also red?

wheezer

Dec 16, 2011
MS
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus, Dexter
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] Cooper just can't seem to get completely well! I thought he was finally on the road to complete recovery. Do you feed him any yogurt? This might help with yeast. Also, no potatoes in his diet. His bum is really red! It has to be painful. I feel so bad for Cooper. Keep us updated on how he does.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.