HELP!

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hi All,

I need some advice from the experts! Here is some background info first my husband and I just bought a house so things have been a bit hectic as we are moving into the house from our apartment slowly. We are doing some things that we need to before we fully move in. In the process of all of this Winston's routine has gotten a bit messed up with his eating schedule and what not. The past week he refuses to eat his food. He will eat anything else, if I mix something in with his food he will pick it all out and leave the food. At first I thought it was his bowl so I went out and bought him a flatter one to make it easier for him to eat, that didn't work. Then I thought it was the food so as I mentioned I started mixing things in, that did not work either. The weird thing is if I take a couple pieces of his food out and put it in my hand he eats it, if I put it on the floor he eats it also. So I don't think its his food, and I don't think its a health issue because otherwise he wouldn't be eating at all?? Could all the change be disrupting him?? I need help! I just want my baby to eat normal again!! Thanks so much in advance! :yes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
In my experience, change can be traumatic for some dogs. Try to stay as close as possible to his schedule and bring him to and from the new house so he knows it.

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - will have some great advice for you. TAG!

L

Lucy-licious

I see you already tagged Kelly :) I agree its probably the disruption. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] and also recently moved house she will also be able to give a little advise :hug:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree..he senses the changes..like a child, they are very sensitive to anything "out of his norm"! I'm sure once he has his familiar things around him and in one place..he will be ok. Are you taking him with you for short periods in order to get him acclimated? Always have something familiar at the new house for him. Congrats and good luck!! :up:

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thank you everyone!! :yes: I appreciate all of the advice! We have been taking him back and forth with us as much as we can and I always bring a toy or something that he knows with him. He seems to like the new house, he just seems confused! I have noticed too hes like my little shadow more then ever lately almost as if he knows something is going on and he wants to make sure hes part of it!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it could be the change and hopefully when things settle down he will get back on his routine and eat. My Buddy boy has done this for the last 7 months or so and nothing has changed in his life. He just one day decided he did not want to eat. Now it's hit or miss, some days he will eat both meals, morning and afternoon and some times he hill only eat at night. So who knows, we have even changed his food but he is just picky.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We have this problem when we change up the house or move furniture or get new. What I have noticed is lex does a lot better with change when he is in the room with us as we are moving etc. also he doesn't eat or sleep well when we are staying at someones house. And half the time I have to hand feed him a bit then he usually starts eating out of the bowl as long as I'm sitting next to him lol.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
That is exactly what is happening to us! He will eat out of my hand and then if I sit next to the bowl he eats. As soon as I get up he stops! We take him with us as much as we can but when we are painting etc, its just not possible all I picture is Winston getting really excited and running full force into the wet wall!! :laugh: I will just give it time and hopefully he will start adjusting soon, thanks everyone! : )

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Congratulations on your homeownership! It beats the heck out of collecting rent receipts! I am sure Winston will adjust when the move is complete and he is back on schedule!

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Awww, poor guy. We are moving this summer and I fear going through the same thing with Beefy.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
In my experience, change can be traumatic for some dogs. Try to stay as close as possible to his schedule and bring him to and from the new house so he knows it.

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - will have some great advice for you. TAG!

When we first bought our house on the day of closing we ran home grabbed Vegas and took him to the new home, he wanted NOTHING to do with it!! He sniffed around and then sat by the front door crying to go home. I was worried sick. We hired movers, the day we moved I kept Vegas at our old house with his crate and let the movers move everything, when all was done I loaded up his crate and him and brought him to our new house (this was just 5 months ago) when we arrived at our new house everything from the old house was in place.

Vegas ran around and sniffed everything and checked everything out. I set his crate up in the living room.....yes my husband wanted it in the spare bedroom, are you kidding me?? NO, it is right in the living room. Vegas basically stayed by my side for the day and that night he slept with us (usually not allowed) by the next day he was perfectly comfortable. All of his stuff and smells were in this house. He was not one bit anxious or traumatized.

I know it is a worry and I worried to death about it, but as long as you are there and all that is familiar I think Winston will be OK. Just give extra attention, even though it will be hectic trying to unpack but Winston will need the reassurance. Good Luck and keep us updated!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We moved house in July and the way we did it is that we just moved all at once. Although we had all our things with us I don't think the house had the true scent of us for a while!! Because you are moving in gradually I am sure your new home does not have the true smell of you yet and that can be confusing to him. Bullys are so sensitive and he knows that something is happening but doesn't understand what and whether it's agood thing or not hence why he is so clingy right now.

All our dogs gradually settled in .... once they realised that this was it .... they were here for good!!

To be honest our biggest problem is that they took WEEKS to work out where the door to the outside was ... and started to pee and poop in the house again!! :no:

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one going through this!! I am sure once everything is in the house Winston will adjust right now it is just this empty place that he doesn't know, but I am hoping once all of his stuff is there he will be ok! Thank you all so much for the advice, it has made me worry a little bit less! I will be sure to give him lots of extra love and attention! :D I really appreciate it and will keep you posted on how hes doing! And thanks for the Congratulations we are very excited!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.