Double jointed??

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
This might be a dumb question...but can dogs be double jointed? I have noticed for a while now that Tonka (9 months old) will be standing or sitting sometimes and one or both of his front legs will look twisted in an odd position or like his paws are in the wrong place. His two front paws always have a slight turnout but sometimes it will look as if his paw is facing to the side or nearly backwards when they should be facing forward which is bizarre looking. It reminds me of when people have the double jointed elbow and can twist their arm around while leaving their hand in place. Is this normal for a dog? Does anyone else notice this in the their dog's front legs? My boyfriend thinks he is just double jointed haha. He doesn't seemed bothered. Any ideas?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never heard of that either. Maybe a pic?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Ive never seen that before either??? Hmmm yeah if you can get some pics ! :) Love ur avatar pic

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I will try to get a picture of him, although it's a little difficult because he moves before I can take it. Also, he doesn't do it to the extreme like that all the time, I just see it every now and then. It's almost like a ballerina's turnout (or Mary Poppins) with their feet only he does it with his front paws. Often it will be just one of them turned out to the side or even almost backward and the other normal when he is sitting or standing...like he moved his upper leg while leaving the paw where it was before.

Again, I will try to get a picture. Is this something I should be worried about though? If he is running and jumping and playing just fine?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I will try to get a picture of him, although it's a little difficult because he moves before I can take it. Also, he doesn't do it to the extreme like that all the time, I just see it every now and then. It's almost like a ballerina's turnout (or Mary Poppins) with their feet only he does it with his front paws. Often it will be just one of them turned out to the side or even almost backward and the other normal when he is sitting or standing...like he moved his upper leg while leaving the paw where it was before.

Again, I will try to get a picture. Is this something I should be worried about though? If he is running and jumping and playing just fine?

I am not sure what it could be or if its just nothing. I would say if you are worried maybe have the vet try to get an xray and see if they see anything. It may put ur mind to rest but see what the others say first as it just may be nothing at all!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... strange --- hopefully you'll get some pics for us to look at

Anne MacMeekin

Jul 31, 2016
Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oakley
I don't know if Oakley (Boxer/Rottweiler/Bulldog) is double-jointed but I have never seen a dog do this before. She does it all the time. She is also able to stand on her back legs and jump. I think that is a Boxer thing. Oakley Double-jointed.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I don't know if Oakley (Boxer/Rottweiler/Bulldog) is double-jointed but I have never seen a dog do this before. She does it all the time. She is also able to stand on her back legs and jump. I think that is a Boxer thing. View attachment 100353

What a beautiful baby! That pose is a bulldog/ boxer position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.