JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Early last week Emma had what seemed to be a cold (snotty nose) but she's fine now. Last week Wilson got it and had snotty nose but no green snot just white and constant discharge from the nose. The snot's dried up quite a bit but my concern is his breathing. His right nostril has folded in as you can see from the picture. While he can breath and is not labored in breathing, last night he was actually opening his mouth a bit to breath in and making the gurgling sound.

I called the my vet on Friday and he said NOT to give him Benadryl if he wasn't snotty as that can actually make it harder for him to breath (FYI, he's a well-known bully vet here). He said to spray his nostril with nose spray which I've been doing (and that is a VERY hard task with Wilson). I've been having to sneak up on him when he's sleeping to do it. He's quite strong and there's no holding his head still. Wilson also choked on some kibble just a bit ago (Mike saw that he was having troubles and his tongue was stuck out and white). I stuck my fingers down his throat and sure enough there was kibble there. I also gave him a squirt of lemon juice to break up his phlegm.

Lets just say Wilson is not happy with his Mama right now. I'm going to drop him off at the vet tomorrow morning on my way into work.

Here's a few different shots I just took.

cdbd3536.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] i so hope he is ok. ive never seen that so cant help really. sarah has been having gurgling in her chest and such and i give benadryl and shes ok but do what your vet said to do. i will be thinking of wilson and praying its just environmental things going on. he will be ok sis :hug:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I wonder how many people reading this went and looked at their bullie's nose like I did.. LOL
I hope it is only a cold and nothing to worry about. ... Mean ol' bully mama! ;)

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I bet everyone's going to go look at their bully's nose now. :yes: We're hoping it's just allergies too, that's what my vet said but to be safe I'm dropping him off for a lookie.

If I go to give him a kiss, he flings his head the other way.....:laugh: He's so pissed at me! I'm the disciplinary in our house. ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] heck sarah does that and i dont even do anything :laugh: she wont look the other way but she just sits there like when is this gonna be over with. she dont like being kissed but she tolerates it. bullies so funny

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Awwww. Poor Wilson.

I admit it; I looked at noses. Bea's is dry and crunchy on top but she hates the Bully Balm I put on it. ha ha ha

I hope Wilson is OK. Tis allergy season...but choking on kibble...that's scary to me......

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
all three of my bullies noses kinda look like that, but when they get neutered they're having rhinoplasty done to make them even more beautiful :ROFL:. Poor Remy has to get his heart surgery, boy parts cut off and his nares done!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
That's odd, with all Vegas's allergies his nose has never swollen...that I know of....I will have to watch it for now on. let us know what the vet says. Poor Baby

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO heck sarah does that and i dont even do anything :laugh: she wont look the other way but she just sits there like when is this gonna be over with. she dont like being kissed but she tolerates it. bullies so funny
Wilson hates to be snuggled on.....glad he's not alone....:laugh:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:luv: he make need to get the nostril widen. Nitschke had to have it done when he was about 1 1/2 - 2 yrs.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You know I was just going through some pics to post in Howard's Ears post in the general section and came across an early pic of Wilson a few month back and his nostril looks the same. Mike's been saying that his nose on that side seems swollen so maybe this cold he has is just making it worse. He's also been doing a lot of reserve breathing, snorting inward lately.

He was 5 months here.
5-12-113.jpg

6-18-1110.jpg

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Good info to know, thanks Kelly & Christine. Looks like he's not alone then and now that he's gotten older it's just affecting him more. I'll talk to the vet about this.
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], @2BullyMama

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] sounds like allergy stuff to me. but vet will let you know. our air has just started being some better. was awful for like 2 weeks.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh no! I hope Wilson will be OK. He always looks so big and healthy it's hard to imagine him having any problems. No sign of colds here though. Wilsons nose skin got scraped off because of his rubbing his face against the crate. I've been putting Zymox topical cream on it and it seems the only thing that is helping. I've doubled his dose of Benadryl (twice a day instead of once) for his allergies and that is helping a little. Gonna pray that your Wilson doesn't need any invasive treatments for his nose. Oh and my Wilson is wary too of me smooching him because all he knows is that I'm coming to mess with his eyes, ears, nose and paws. I make it up to him in belly rubs.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO sounds like allergy stuff to me. but vet will let you know. our air has just started being some better. was awful for like 2 weeks.
That's what I think too. He's older now so and tis the season so I'm sure more experiences are in hold for this season's allergies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.