Does your bulldog "fly snap"/"fly catch"?

kymmiko

Apr 5, 2012
Blue Ridge GA & Raleigh NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
My Tilly will sit there and bite at things in the air continuously, even when I try to distract her. Our vet, who breeds bullies, said it's a type of seizure. Wanted to know if you've experienced this with your baby, and what can be done about it.

Also, she will occasionally compulsively lick the couch for minutes on end. Does your bulldog do this?

Glad to jump in the pool at this forum!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo will obsessively compulsively lick the couch or a piece of the carpeting at times. I have to make him stop.

Bea loves to chase bubbles and bugs - but they're really there - it's not a seizure.....curious what other folks here will say. Welcome Kymmiko.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree ! Brutus will lick the couch or floor until I make him stop! Brutus also tries to catch flies or bubbles that are there also. If there isnt anything and he does it could be a type of seizure or temor that he is having. There are a couple videos on you tube on it! [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] She has all the advice on sezures and always gives the best advice!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My Tilly will sit there and bite at things in the air continuously, even when I try to distract her. Our vet, who breeds bullies, said it's a type of seizure. Wanted to know if you've experienced this with your baby, and what can be done about it.

Also, she will occasionally compulsively lick the couch for minutes on end. Does your bulldog do this?

Glad to jump in the pool at this forum!

Sorry that I can't help with the flies. But I did want to jump in and say welcome to the asylum :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to the site!!

never experienced the bit at air thing.... my girl, Banks trys to catch/eat flies and she sometimes will lick the leather sofa

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm glad you brought this up because Oliver does this as well. I was going to talk to our vet about it when he goes in for his heartworm test and pre-neuter visit, so any input from the experts on here would be appreciated.

OP
K

kymmiko

Apr 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
Thanks for the respose Vicaroo1000, how do you make Bo stop licking?

Bo will obsessively compulsively lick the couch or a piece of the carpeting at times. I have to make him stop.

Bea loves to chase bubbles and bugs - but they're really there - it's not a seizure.....curious what other folks here will say. Welcome Kymmiko.

OP
K

kymmiko

Apr 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
Aww Kim, we're alike! Yes, thats what I was hoping for as well, a bully owner input because this is the first special bully baby we've had. good luck with yours, keep me updated :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanks for the respose Vicaroo1000, how do you make Bo stop licking?

I distract him with a toy; first to get him to move away from the "spot" he's working on - and then to get him working on something else that's appropriate to lick/chew. I don't use a cookie because I don't want him thinking when he does that, he gets a treat.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN...... How about some pix of Tilly. Glad you joined and hope you have fun here as well as find the info you need. Princess Gracie licks compulsively whether it is the air, couch, or her paw. We sometimes can distract her with a toy but sometimes it is so intense we just let it run its course. I can be annoying tho. lol
Again,, Thanx for joining :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This is common here I would say and not a seizure for us. We still joke about when we first got Cutty.... the breeder was thinking of showing him etc then decided she was too busy with her other show girl or what not and was thinking of selling him. So we took him home and he started doing that. We thought, well maybe he isnt right in the head and that was why she sold him? (being skeptical) Nope, turns out it is normal. I think it is due to itching? I have always thought of it as being part of an itch they cant reach or if it is bad caused by allergies. My opinon anyhow. Or could be anal glands but here it never has been. At first I thought this post was about them really catching flies. haha Mugsy woke us up 2 nights ago doing that and he never does. I would have thought something was wrong had hubby not seen this little gnat thing flying around above his head. hahaha This was at like 2am. Crazy pug!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], I think you might be on to something with the allergy connection. Oliver has allergies and the other two do not and Oliver is the only one who does this. He also does lick the blanket on our bed at night for about 5-10 minutes before he's ready to settle down and go to sleep. That, I think, is just his way of self-soothing. Kinda like a little kid sucking their thumb. We've never had any issues with anal glands here, so I don't think his biting at the air has anything to do with that either.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I haven't heard that it is a type of seizure but that it is linked to the head tremors in some way, that whatever causes it is similiar to what causes the head tremors. Samson does the "fly snap/bite," he was doing it last night and I was trying to catch it on video to post to this thread but he would stop as soon as I picked up the camera then start again once I put it down, such a brat! LOL He will also lick the couch, a blanket or his paws compulsively. I know the paw licking is part allergies but its also an obsessive thing and definitely an obsessive thing when he does it on the couch and on a blanket.

OP
K

kymmiko

Apr 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] Your post on the allergy connection reminded me of something while I was searching online for answers. Perhaps it's itchiness from post-nasal drip.

Since Tilly is doing it as I type, I described it incorrectly. She actually licks the air compulsively and it drives her daddy crazy!

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] Thanks for the warm welcome! Pics of Tilly will be on the way. As we probably all think of ours, Tilly is the most beautiful bulldog ever :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.