Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does your bulldog "fly snap"/"fly catch"?

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Does your bulldog "fly snap"/"fly catch"?

@cali~jenn, I think you might be on to something with the allergy connection. Oliver has allergies and the other two do not and Oliver is the only one who does this. He also does lick the blanket on our bed at night for about 5-10 minutes before he's ready to settle down and go to sleep. That, I think, is just his way of self-soothing. Kinda like a little kid sucking their thumb. We've never had any issues with anal glands here, so I don't think his biting at the air has anything to do with that either.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I haven't heard that it is a type of seizure but that it is linked to the head tremors in some way, that whatever causes it is similiar to what causes the head tremors. Samson does the "fly snap/bite," he was doing it last night and I was trying to catch it on video to post to this thread but he would stop as soon as I picked up the camera then start again once I put it down, such a brat! LOL He will also lick the couch, a blanket or his paws compulsively. I know the paw licking is part allergies but its also an obsessive thing and definitely an obsessive thing when he does it on the couch and on a blanket.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly
    Likes (Received)

@cali~jenn Your post on the allergy connection reminded me of something while I was searching online for answers. Perhaps it's itchiness from post-nasal drip.

Since Tilly is doing it as I type, I described it incorrectly. She actually licks the air compulsively and it drives her daddy crazy!

@BruceP Thanks for the warm welcome! Pics of Tilly will be on the way. As we probably all think of ours, Tilly is the most beautiful bulldog ever

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know but I imagine it could be from anything really. Cutty can't scratch well at all being that stout body type so any thing making him scratchy could cause it probably. Lol

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know about the fly catching/air licking .... maybe if you could get it on video?? I have heard that something like that can be connected to epilepsy @Libra926

As for the licking, well better get used to it, as all bullys seem to be OCD and licking seems to be a popular one!!!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kymmiko View Post
    @<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=390" target="_blank">cali~jenn</a></u> Your post on the allergy connection reminded me of something while I was searching online for answers. Perhaps it's itchiness from post-nasal drip.

Since Tilly is doing it as I type, I described it incorrectly. She actually licks the air compulsively and it drives her daddy crazy!

@<u><a href="http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/member.php?u=1034" target="_blank">BruceP</a></u> Thanks for the warm welcome! Pics of Tilly will be on the way. As we probably all think of ours, Tilly is the most beautiful bulldog ever
    Almost like she has something stuck on the roof of her mouth? Our neurologist calls it a bubble gum fit. A facial seizure. More of a bothersome tick....like an eye twitch for us.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Almost like she has something stuck on the roof of her mouth? Our neurologist calls it a bubble gum fit. A facial seizure. More of a bothersome tick....like an eye twitch for us.
    that's what Oliver does most of the time but every once in awhile he'll throw in a "snap at the air" move too!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads