15 week old puppy with Demodetic mange

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
In a puppy this young it was probably passed on by the mother according to my vet. Amy had it at 4 months (when it typically show up). She didn't have any bumps but she smelled bad and had hair loss, especially the armpits. She was treated aggressively with shampoo, antibiotics, and something else (invectine?). He said her mother should not be breeding and that Amy is not suitable to breed either.
She is now 9 months, has beautiful fur, and shows no signs of the mange. She even smells good. Well, relatively good.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
good luck with your bully baby. Be patient, and try to make all these transitions slowly, as many other bullies have mentioned. It took my bully about 8 weeks for his hair to grow back after the treatment was complete. Ivermectin has been successful for many other owners I've met. Just be careful with all the new changes you are making, change in food, adding fish oil, various mange treatments. You might find that your bully has a negative reaction to one of these new elements - and you won't know which one, since you are making many changes at once. I would try your best to try and get your mange treatment as the priority. The doctor should be able to continue scrapes and see no more mites after your treatment. If they are still seeing mights than your treatments are not effective. Keep the dialogue with your vet going even a few times a week until you get the result you want. Also - food changes can be stressful on the system, but are a good idea to boost the immune system. If the food your trying is making your dog smell, and his coat oily, and poo's soft- you can try adding pumpkin or sweet potato to the food. This does wonders for too hard or too soft poo. I always keep some on hand for any tummy upsets that my Rocco might have. Ever since I finally found his new food he is doing so great. Nice glossy coat (not oily or smelly), no mites, and great firm poop. Every bully has different tolerance so this is a great way for you to get to know your bully. Keep trying and be patient. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right food, the right supplements and the right treatment for mange. Keep us all posted, as we will be here to help support you. I know this can be anxious time for you. It's as bad as a new born baby! Take care
Kristin

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
@Howardsmom- What treatment was used on Lucy and how long did it take?

I honestly don't remember much as it was about 4 years ago. Lucy's problem spots were on her face but it was a pretty mild case. I believe they only found one bug under the scope. I remember the treatment being some kind of topical cream/ointment. I think she had to take a medicine orally too. I think we had to treat her for several months and our vet required that she have several repeat skin tests just to make sure it was all gone. Lucy was also a pet store dog. Good luck and keep us updated!

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Thank you to all for your wonderful information! This is a wonderful site with wonderful people. I am so happy I found this. It is like raising my first baby all over again! :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thank you to all for your wonderful information! This is a wonderful site with wonderful people. I am so happy I found this. It is like raising my first baby all over again! :)

You are right about this site, I have nothing much to add except that this type of mange starts at the head and works toward the hind end. You have gotten great advice from the previous posters. Relax and ease the stress.

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Well, received the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo yesterday. Applied ointment-this stuff is orange! Most of Petee is white. He has orange spots all over is face-it makes him look worse then what he is. He starts his puppy training class tomorrow evening. I will have to give him a good bath before hand- people will see him like this and I will get asked a million questions! Good news is mange seems to be clearing up. Skin got dry from Pyoben gel and shampoo-the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo are more moisturizing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, received the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo yesterday. Applied ointment-this stuff is orange! Most of Petee is white. He has orange spots all over is face-it makes him look worse then what he is. He starts his puppy training class tomorrow evening. I will have to give him a good bath before hand- people will see him like this and I will get asked a million questions! Good news is mange seems to be clearing up. Skin got dry from Pyoben gel and shampoo-the Goodwinol ointment and shampoo are more moisturizing.

Good to hear it is starting to clear up! when ask questions... tell them he was self tanning and got carried away with the spray :D

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Molly is on the mend from the same thing... We had our 2nd vet visit yesterday. She's been on Ivermectin orally for about 2 weeks and she's shown signs of improvement.

I was a little worried about the Ivermectin since it is dangerous to herding dogs, but it seems to be working. I guess all her fancy papers are correct... she is 100% bull :)

Stay with it... your not alone!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.