Cherry Eye occurrence pre and post-operative????

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven gets cherry eye in her left eye. Before it was happening once in a while. Recently I noticed it has been happening a whole lot more, sometimes up to three times in a week. She is going in for her pre-spay work up tonight. So I have a couple of questions for those in the know:

1) can cherry eye be caused by allergies? I noticed 99% of the times when it occurs is usually when we go outside and she sniffs around, then stops to itch and by the time we walk the 15 feet or so into the house her cherry eye is out.

2) if you have had the surgery, have you had a reoccurrence. I am not sure if the possibility of a reoccurrence becomes 0% post op.

Thanks.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Well when we saw the vet tonight we addressed the cherry eye-allergy connection. He said it definitely triggers it. There was three other dogs in the waiting room that had cherry eye.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
Cherry eye occurs because the pocket is not large enough to hold the gland in... so if something causes the gland to swell, then it makes sense that the cherry eye chances will increase.

Moe's cherry eye has not returned since his surgery, and the Dr stated that she has an 85% success rate on the first attempt.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online