OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
are there other foods but greens and meats that will help? I had real bad anemia once and all the greens and liver didn't help. The Doctor said only Ferrous Sulfate pills, not just "iron" pills was the way to go. I know there are drops you can get for kids....also what about baby formula with iron? Would that help her at all?

I hadn't thought about baby formula!! OMG that's a great idea!! Thank you SO much!!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
(((Hugs))) you are doing a good job and there will be trial and error, especially with what you are dealing with. You knew to stop and what caused it- that really says a lot!

Maybe you could implement both ideas, an iron pill every other day along with the added leafy greens?

@cali~jenn I think too much iron in kids is what is bad, causes constipation. But kids really need a vitamin with iron in it or a good diet with iron. Gummy vitamins have no iron, which is bad. But they have to leave it out in case a child decides to snack on them as candy, since they are made specifically to entice children to have a vitamin.

That was the first thing that I learned. When the phosphorous level goes too high, the tremors start. I don't know if tremors are the right word even tho that's the technical term for it. It's more like extreme shivering, like being outside in the snow in nothing but your underwear. It doesn't seem to bother her but it totally freaks me out.

The Centrum that I give her every day does have iron in it, but I don't think it's enough. Last month her PCV was 34 and yesterday it was 30. Granted, that's not a huge drop but it's enough of one to make me concerned (even if her doctor isn't yet).

What I don't want (what I am most afraid of) is that any of these numbers will drop so low that we can't get them back up. I know that our time with her will be short. I know that we will never get to see that sweet face with the gray hair that shows the world she has had a long, happy life. But I'm nowhere near ready to let her slip away from me yet so I worry about every little thing. Even little things like 4 point drop in a red blood cell count.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
She's a miracle girl and has the best mama in the universe. :luv:

I love that you love her so very much.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Dang it I just wrote out a whole thing and lost it...... [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] you are doing an amazing job with her obviously. The baby formula is a gre4at idea, hope it helps. Go with your gut and dont be afraid to change when you feel you need to, you know little Abby better than most know their babies. If you are in doubt, get her levels checked again next week and see if there is any improvement?

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. Those gummy vitamins are awful. I mean they are yummy but I got some once thinking why not? Umm I compared them to reg vitamins and the amount you would have to eat of those to get the full amount of a regular one, forget it. The adult version isnt as good as a regular kids Flintstones vitamin. lol

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] two moths ago Katara got aspiration pneumonia and a bunch of test were ordered. Her HCT was low too, and I remember the vet told me that was not of concern because she was a growing puppy and it was common for pups to have tow HCT and HGB levels. Maybe Abby's level is normally low for her too. I think supplementing her intake with a little formula won't hurt. but, will she drink it? That stuff smells pretty bad and Miss Abby has already tried a bunch of the good stuff, not like new puppies that's all they know formula of mama's milk... keep us posted on your sweet baby.. and I know everyone has already told you this but Miss Abby lucked out so much having you in her life! you are wonderful!

Most Reactions