New Method Neuters Males Dogs Without Removing Their You-Know-What

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
New Method Neuters Male Dogs Without Removing Their You-Know-What

I would love for Dozer to keep his boys while still being sterile. The article is a bit raunchy but it gets the point across lolol

01 Apr 2012 by Anna Jane Grossman in Science & Technology, Videos / No Comments

ā€œZeuteringā€ is a non-surgical process that sterilizes male dogs. A solution of Zinc gluconate (like you take for a cold), L-Arginine (a non-essential amino acid) and water is shot into a dogā€™s scrotum. Within a month he is permanently sterile.
The Ark Sciences formulation was initially introduced in the U.S. with the name Neutersol. Now it is called Esterilsol. It is commercially available in Colombia, Mexico and Bolivia; it has received regulatory approval for puppies between 3- and 10-months old in the US. About 300 dogs have been zeutered here so far, but many more will be getting ball shots soon: Neutersol officially launches here later this year.
Better technology to make it easier to spay and neuter dogs and cats would make a huge difference to the world of animal rescue; in the US alone, itā€™s estimated that some five million cats and dogs are put down at shelters every year (tens of thousands in NYC alone). Easy, inexpensive, effective sterilization could seriously make that number shrink. We will finally rid the world of puppies! Bwah-ha-ha-ha! But seriously. This is a good thing. Such a good thing that thereā€™s even an X-Prize type award for it: The Michelson Prize, which will be $25 million for the first invention of a single-dose sterilant for male and female cats and dogs.
Right now, Zeutering is just for boy dogs. Its effects are still being researched. The Alliance for Contraception in Cats and Dogs (which, does not make dog condoms, as itā€™s name might suggest) is partially funding a planned study in Chile, where a zeutered group, a castrated group, and a control group of dogs will be monitored by behaviorists and tracked using GPS collars.
The prospect of non-surgical neutering is, Iā€™m guessing, going to be more exciting to people who deal with strays and rescues than it will be to most private practice vets, for whom surgical neutering is bread-and-butter work. Then again, Iā€™ve definitely heard people (usually male people), stress over the idea of dog castration; zeutering would be a way to avoid your dog becoming a baby daddy while maintaining the integrity of his ball sacs (you can always tell when a guy has neuticles).
In this video, a dog owner gets the joy of watching her puppy, Max, gets zinc-neutered. He gets sedated, has his testicles measured, then gets a shot to each ball. There are lots of lingering dog penis closeups. Maxā€™s mom takes many pictures.

http://thedo.gs/2012/04/technology/...s-without-removing-your-dogs-balls-50972/4475

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Very interesting. I would want to see potential side effects and long term studies done prior.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I don't think zutering will have any effects in controlling territorial behavior in male dogs as well as marking and aggression. not all male dogs develop these but I am already struggling a bit with my dog and he's only an adolescent, so for me neutering is my only option to prevent escalating in his behavior. for me it is not only about him not producing babies, since my female is already spayed it doesn't really matter, but with an intact male you have to mate him in order for him to maintain stability since that's what he's supposed to do. Killing the sperm will not eliminate this need, you would have to remove the source of the hormones to prevent behaviors like this.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.