Coughing and Dry-Heaving

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Hi Everyone! I haven't posted in here in a while, but do browse the site from time to time. Well, I'm tired as heck because last night Jackson coughed, and coughed, and coughed, and dry-heaved and I'm a light sleeper....plust I was a little worried about my baby! He started coughing on Saturday and Sunday it seemed to get worse so we took him to an emergency vet clinic. The vet said she thinks it's an upper respitory infection, but when I later got home and spoke to the woman that we got him from (bulldog rescue...has experience with MANY bulldogs) she said it is most likely allergies. He is up-to-date on all shots (included kennel cough) and he hasn't been in close proximity with other dogs recently. The doctor gave us an antibiotic and cough tablets, and our rescue contact told me to also give him benadryl along with the other meds. She also suggested to squirt lemon juice into his throat to clear up the mucus (that was NO easy task by the way!). The vet said that if Jackson doesn't get better w/in two days then take him back to our vet. Another thing is that he's not really eating. I think its because his throat is irritated, but I am worried that he is hungry. He's 77lbs of bulldog...he's gotta eat! What do you guys think about the coughing/hacking/dry-heaving? And how would you suggest that we coerce him to eat? Should we give him some broth or just canned dog food?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't have any wisdom for you - besides "go the vet" which you've done already. I am sorry this is going on and feel for you! I hope Jackson is better very soon.

My dogs both adore the "bland diet". I'm glad they can't "fake sick". They like it that much.

I take one large can of white meat chicken with the juice and mix it with two cups cooked white rice. Served warm. They have a sensitivity to chicken too - but they'll eat this ALWAYS ---- even when feeling really punk.

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] sorry I am tagging you a lot.....was this what Dozer was doing????

C

Cooper11

:( Poor baby! Yeah he is probably not eating because of his throat. Depending on what kind of canned dog food you get I would stay away from the vet recommended junk! I have had my experience with that and if he has allergies there is so much crap in that you don't want him to have.... I would suggest bland like rice and chicken or rice and beef....Have you had an allergy test done on him yet??? What about giving him some Benedry? If it is an outside allergy witch I would suspect with the caughing and such that it is an allergy to something in the air....At 77 lbs I think you could give him 3 @cowsmom @2BullyMama @Watson if I am wrong on the Bendryl please let them know??? Don't give him 3 until some one else chimes in :). Also you could try veggies.... Coop has had tummy issues for the last month and @Twice recommended the veggie diet until I figured out what was wrong and until I got his new dog food. This is the best he has ever looked and felt do to the veggie diet. I was thinking maybe veggies for your bully if his throat is raw or bothering him the veggies might go down smoother since they are softer. You keep all skin on the veggies and boil them. Then you mush them all up and serve. For instance Coop is eating sweet potatoes, red pepper, green pepper, carrots, peas, green beans, all boiled together and mushed together. I was afraid of :fart: or runny :poo: but Coop has gotten neither of the 2 from the veggies. Wouldn't hurt to try the veggies if he is not eating :) If you have any questions about it you can ask me or @Twice! Hope your baby starts feeling better!!!

[MENTION=3114]LoveMyBully82[/MENTION]

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry to hear about your little big guy, hope he gets better soon.

There are many strains of kennel cough and the vaccine only covers a few number of them, so there's still a possibility that he may catch it. Think of it as similar to human colds, there's just so many types! I'm mentioning this because Stig caught the bug when he first attended daycare and coughing and dry heaving were his symptoms, in addition to coughing out phlegm. He got better within a couple of weeks. But he never lost his appetite, that's what's concerning about your guy. Try the bland diet and see if he eats. If not, then I'd take him to your normal vet again for another checkup.

I also bought a humidifier just for him to help with his throat. Anything to help our babies! :heart:

Last edited:
OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions! I'm definitely going to cook him up a little meal when I get home this evening. Our rescue contact suggested we make his dry food really soft (water/canned food mixed-in and microwave...we feed him blue buffalo grain-free by the way), which we tried last night, but he didn't eat it. He just sniffed at it and then drank water instead. He did still have a bowel movement though, so at least that's not a problem. So, we shall see if he will eat the bland diet food.

[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] - we haven't gotten him an allergy test yet, but we do think he has allergies.

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] - hopefully if it is some type of respitory infection the antibiotic will knock it out.

Do you think we should continue to walk him while he's recovering, or limit physical activity?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Poor baby and poor Mommy! I'd be worried sick. I've had a cat that didn't eat because she had an irritated throat. $200 later from vet bills! I also would try the bland diet..and slowly reintroduce his kibble back in..if his cough is worse at night..I'd think allergies also. People's coughs get worse at night too. But if it continues for a couple days, I'd go to my regular vet. Good Luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you guys so much for all the suggestions! I'm definitely going to cook him up a little meal when I get home this evening. Our rescue contact suggested we make his dry food really soft (water/canned food mixed-in and microwave...we feed him blue buffalo grain-free by the way), which we tried last night, but he didn't eat it. He just sniffed at it and then drank water instead. He did still have a bowel movement though, so at least that's not a problem. So, we shall see if he will eat the bland diet food.

@Cooper11 - we haven't gotten him an allergy test yet, but we do think he has allergies.

For benedryl... you can give mg per pound... they are usually 25mg pills so I would start with 2 in the AM with meal and again in the PM and see how he does, if needed give him three after a day or two. As others have said, use the lemon juice and do the bland diet. Give your baby a big hug from us and be sure to keep us posted.

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
My baby isn't eating at all. We hat to force him to come out of his crate just to go outside to use the bathroom. He drank some water and that was it. We made an appointment with our vet for tomorrow morning. With him not eating anything it is extremely difficult to give him the medication. I'm trying to just pray and not worry...please pray for us!:begging:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My baby isn't eating at all. We hat to force him to come out of his crate just to go outside to use the bathroom. He drank some water and that was it. We made an appointment with our vet for tomorrow morning. With him not eating anything it is extremely difficult to give him the medication. I'm trying to just pray and not worry...please pray for us!:begging:

No good when they are lethargic.... prayers and positive thoughts. Please be sure to update us after the appointment. Give him a big hug

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope he gets better soon,and you can also try some raw hamburger meat mixed with his kibble. We did this with Buddy when we were trying to put some weight on him when he would not eat. He will just get tired of his kibble until we change to one he likes. Picky little butt. As far as the lemon juice I would only use it when he has a lot of phlegm in his throat, like they do when they over heat.

OP
LoveMyBully82

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for your prayers, hugs, and warm thoughts! Jackson saw the vet this morning and she said that it is definitely an upper respitory infection. She gave him 2 Kefzol (I think that's what my husband said) shots and said to resume his medication tomorrow morning. She gave us a syringe so that we can mix his meds with water and basically shoot it into his mouth. She also said that she can tell his throat is really sore, so that is why he isn't eating. She gave him some prescription dog food (it was like pureed or something) and he ate it all up! I was surprised b/c I tried to give him some sof food last night (pumpkin mashed with banana (both of which he usually loves) and he wouldn't even sniff at it. I am so relieved. Do you think we should still give him the benadryl along w/ the meds? And what are your opinions on the prescription dog food?

So, for the next week or so we'll be nursing our baby back to health. Thank God he's going to be OK!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online