Does your bully's nails break??

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester's nails keep breaking. Not all of them, we had to take him for a nail clipping because some were long, but about 3 of them were just broken. They've been broken for a while, so I don't think it's because we weren't having them trimmed, but I guess it could be the reason. Anyone else have this issue??

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Breaking like splitting? Or just the ends breaking off?

I have never had this issue but it sounds like when they reach a certain length, especially if he's active, they snap off. I did once let Bentley's nails get too long and he stepped off a curb funny and he lost the whole nail...ouch.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When we first got Mandy her nails were REAL long. The quicks were so long we could barely trim anything off. She would crack and break them just running and jumping around. Now it does not happen anymore tho.

Jesse likes to put her paws on her kennel door and scratch at it when she wants out. She has broken a couple doing this, so yes, I have to make sure hers are extra short too. But for some reason hers don't grow very much!?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
When we first got Mandy her nails were REAL long. The quicks were so long we could barely trim anything off. She would crack and break them just running and jumping around. Now it does not happen anymore tho.

Jesse likes to put her paws on her kennel door and scratch at it when she wants out. She has broken a couple doing this, so yes, I have to make sure hers are extra short too. But for some reason hers don't grow very much!?

It is that they don't grow that much or that she walks around on the concrete alot. I've only had to cut Samson's a few times in 4 years. My backyard is like all concrete and before that we were in an apartment so we had to go walking a bunch of times each day for potty time. Samson has that slow feet dragging bulldog walk, I assume that is what keeps them filed down. On the other hand my dainty little beagle needs them clipped all the time, she's light on her feet :)

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Boy, I wish Gertie's were slow to grow! She has to have her's trimmed every 3 weeks, at least, or she'll rip you to shreds with them. They grow soooo fast!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas also has to have his nails cut about every 3 weeks, they are all black and very thick, never broke one off. I actually take him to have them done he is petrified of having them done, It takes 3 girls to get his nails done!, not only do they clip them, they dremmel the edges to make them nice and rounded and smooth, so no scratches. As much as he is scared he always gets to go for a walk in the store afterwords and pick out a new toy so he leaves very happy!! :heart:

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
Last year my Mom's frenchie split her nail in half all the way down. :eek: right now just thinking of it sends chills down my spine it looked horrible but didn't really seem to bother her. 1/2 fell off within a couple of days and we trimmed the other 1/2 back until it could grow out again. They were a little long but I didn't think they were long enough to cause them to "snap in half"

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
China chews hers off. But LeRoys split down the middle twice. It was after her had a playdate with a friends dog and they were going nutty.

OP
LisaRN

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester's break off..not slip..but they do end up jagged on the end. It's only a few of them..and we have plenty of concrete but we don't leave him outside for very long, so I don't think they get a chance to wear down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.