Torn ligament needing surgery?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This isnt for me or my bully but my cousin has a lab that her vet said has a torn ligament in her knee. BUT he said it isnt torn completely whatever that means. She is taking the pup for a 2nd opinion and I gave her butchkos number since they have great prices and know their stuff. I am just curious if anyone has had this happen and knows if surgery is absolutely neccesary or maybe it could heal without being over used?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
No idea. I would guess no, just to be safe.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby got a torn ligament about 4 years ago. It wasn't torn all the way through and they just put her on Rimadyl and told us to keep her in-active for a little. She did great. Every now and then if she takes off and runs too much it will bother her a little. But for the most part we just keep her on Glucosimine and Rimadyl as needed.

I am pretty sure that is torn in a human, they would have to re-attached, that is if torn completely.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
My Bentley tore both ACLs and needed TPLO surgery on both knees to correct it. Basically, once they blow on knee out, it's a matter a when not if on the other knee. His tear also started out as a partial tear and we gave him Rimadyl and limited his activity (he wasn't overly active in the first place) but the ligament eventually tore...it's very common.

When it tears, the only way to repair it is surgery. It will not ever heal on its own. You can have traditional ACL repair surgery where they basically retie the ligament or you can have TPLO, where they actually reconfigure the leg so the dog does not need an ACL ligament any more. Based on the age and activity level of your dog, that is a decision you would have to make with your vet. When Bentley's ACL finally tore, he was only around 14 months so, knowing reattached ACLs can re-ruputure over time, I elected to have the TPLO.

The good news was he recovered excellent from both surgeries and could run and get around like he was brand new. The bad news was it is pretty expensive and once the one knee goes, the other knee has an 88% chance of going too.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks for the replies, I will pass them along. Bella's mom and Jill you were both very helpful. Will have to see what they decide to do.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.