Tear Stains & Keeping white fur bright & white

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
So Lola was starting to develop tear stains and her paws sometimes seemed not as white as they should be. So after researching on here and talking to my vet and other bulldogn owners I know these are the things I've decided to do to treat her.

For paws I have been putting vaseline on them once a week and then covering them with socks so she doesn't bite on them. This has worked well her paws have been kept perfectly clean.

For the tearstains I have been slowing weaning her off the food the breeder had her on (purina puppy chow) and on to the new food (blue buffalo). Also this sounded weird but I trusted my vet and have been doing it. I have been applying douche on babywipes and cleaning the tearstain area with that about 2 times a week. This has worked great. Her eyes are cleared.

Just sharing this to see if anyone has comments or questions on what I've been doing of have also done this on their pups, also maybe to help someone else with there issues.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Lol can you get a photo of her wearing socks?

I don't know what ingredients are in 'douche', maybe in the future you could try a natural product such as witch hazel.

Congrats on the great result. Purina is junk food good thing you're off it.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree about the Purina :barf: Blue Buffalo is a good brand as long as your bullie can tolerate the ingredients. The tears could be allergy related. The first step is getting a good food which you have already done and keeping the face clean and dry! You could also try using some gold bond powder after you clean the face to keep it dry. I would use the witch hazel or makalat wipes to avoid any products that are harsh(not sure what is in the douche) How old is Lola?? I agree I need to see those pictures of her with socks on! :lol:

OP
Dalia55

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
lol i have pics of her in socks let me try to send them to my work pc, yes its funny and first few times she seemed so upset I put them on her. Lola is a few days over 4 months old now. & where can I find witch hazel? the douche is basically water & vinigar

OP
Dalia55

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
wu2qog.jpg

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
lol i have pics of her in socks let me try to send them to my work pc, yes its funny and first few times she seemed so upset I put them on her. Lola is a few days over 4 months old now. & where can I find witch hazel? the douche is basically water & vinigar

You can find witch hazel at any pharmacy or online like Amazon.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my that is adoable! Pretty pink socks...:ROFL:

The witch hazel you can get at drug stores. I know a lot of members use that..The vingar and water shouldnt be bad either...Hopefully once she is on a better food they will go away! Hope all goes well! Are you coming to the bullyfest April 15 its in Moorestown NJ and a couple members are going

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4196]Dalia55[/MENTION] - when you figure out the magic answer to tear stains - please let me know. I won't even go into the extensive list of stuff I've tried - while battling food sensitivities - and spring's here (on the calendar anyway) and they look worse than ever. Something in the great out of doors is giving them teeny tiny hives (like chicken skin) and their eyes are watering like mad. ACK!

OP
Dalia55

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh my that is adoable! Pretty pink socks...:ROFL:

The witch hazel you can get at drug stores. I know a lot of members use that..The vingar and water shouldnt be bad either...Hopefully once she is on a better food they will go away! Hope all goes well! Are you coming to the bullyfest April 15 its in Moorestown NJ and a couple members are going

I didn't know about it that sounds fun! what time would it be? If my work schedule allows it I would love to attend.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know about it that sounds fun! what time would it be? If my work schedule allows it I would love to attend.

Im in North Jersey Union County...Its about 2 1/2 hrs from me but you are much closer! Its on April 15 at I think 12pm There is a thread on it 10th annual bullyfest to support rescue organization check it out!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i have kind of accepted the tears stains as part of his coloring pattern. Nothing really works. Please let us know of your progress

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Never heard of the vaseline on the feet before!! Maggie had beautiful white wrinkles up until a few months ago and I have had her on Fromm Beef Frittata for a while, so don't know why she suddenly has tear stains. I am currently trying the witch hazel to see if that helps!!

OP
Dalia55

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Never heard of the vaseline on the feet before!! Maggie had beautiful white wrinkles up until a few months ago and I have had her on Fromm Beef Frittata for a while, so don't know why she suddenly has tear stains. I am currently trying the witch hazel to see if that helps!!

Yes me either but I must say for paw treatment it is working great for me. I was also told that I could put a little vaseline near her eyes (tearstain use) BUT that sounds too scary lol so I decided against that, luckily I've been able to get rid of tearstains my other ways.

C

Cooper11

You can get witch hazel at target or walmart. I just picked some up a few weeks ago from target. It was in the first aid section.... dunno if it will be in the same section but I searched and searched and finally asked where it was.....but I had no clue what I was even looking for lol...Other than the name of it!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I love her socks! Does she actually keep them on? Rook would have them off in seconds and then I'd have to chase him around trying to get it back.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online