Scared!!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
So ever since Aubrey was about 6 months old we have had an issue with her vomiting. She went through a time where she vomited every day, but not every meal. She lost a lot of weight. Eventually the vet found something that worked and she was ok for a few months. She was eating Fromm Surf and Turf. About 2 months ago she started vomiting again. It wasn't every day, but every other day or so. They treated her for whip worms and she got better. She didn't throw up for almost two weeks and she was eating great, her Fromm. Then, she threw up Sunday and yesterday. Our vet can't figure out what is wrong, so she is sending us to the Auburn University vet school and hospital so they can try to figure it out.

Could it be food allergies we haven't found? What could it be? It's not a constant thing, but she has lost weight. I am worried!!!

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
My Callista used to vomit after every meal. It turned out to be an elongated pallette and had to be surgically shortened. She never threw up again.
May be worth asking your vet about.

C

Cooper11

My Cooper is 7 1/2 months old and we have been dealing with the throwing up for a month. Started every day and was after he ate, then it was every other day or so. SOmetimes right after he ate, sometimes 4 hours after he ate sometimes 12 hrs after he ate...he started throwing up only in the mornings for awhile....the yellow stuff. I have had 2 sets of blood work and xrays done by 2 seperate vets and the first blood test showed he had an infection in his tummy...some of his blood levels were off. SO I got 3 different meds to give him and he stopped throwing up for like 2 days or so then started again. Thats when I went to the new vet and he did the blood work again and said the infection was gone. Phosporus level was a little high still but he wasn't worried. SO he gave me new meds and xrays came back good. We were treating him for acid reflex. SO he threw up his new meds right when I gave them to him but I was giving them with cheese so vet said no human food and only the canned gastro dog food. That worked for a few days but his face got so red, eyes red, started getting cysts on in between his toes, and then started throwing up again. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] recommended a veggie diet and he has been on that for 4 days now...and OMG this is the best he has ever looked and no more throwing up. I ordered fromm dog food also so I am waiting for that and I am hoping that will work too. I should get it tomorrow. If you have tried everything and he is still throwing up I def recommend the veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, red peppers, carrots, green peppers, green beans, peas, ect and just boil a bunch together leaving skin on and then mush it all up and feed. [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] will give you pointers too. SHe is my life savior!

I seriously was at my whitts end...Cooper had been throwing up for about a month now and I was so frustrated. I was going to get an allergy test and the test where they put the fluid in his tummy to see how his tummy and intestines were working. I had already spent $700 in less than 2 weeks and the allergy test is another 350 and the other test is around 350. He also need laser surgery on one of his eyes witch is 400. If it was not for this site I wold have went ahead with all of this. But since the veggies are working awesome I can finally breath! I am going to do an allergy test cuz I think he does have outside allergies but I am holding on all the others. I am hoping the Fromm Food will help.

I totally know what you are going through! You will see i have posted quite a bit about it. It is so frustrating and my little Cooper was not happy! [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] Lisa can give suggestions too!
[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION]

C

Cooper11

Have they done a barium test.......that is where they see how the tummy and intestines are working and if there is any blockage or anything. I would suggest this if you are still going for vet help. I don't know why your vet hasn't suggested or done it yet. If Coop throw up from the Fromm I will be getting the barium test done next. I know how it is. I would think Cooper was doing good we were on day 5 or 6 of not throwing up and then he threw up Monday and then again Wednesday! UGH! So frustrating. I think Cooper has lost weight also if not he def hasn't gained any.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'd say a palette issue also. Is it digested food, undigested food? Foam?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They treated for whipworms you said and was better, did they treat again or check the stool to see if they were gone. Worms have to be treated in two or sometimes three treatments, to kill the hatched eggs from the prior treatments. 2 weeks would give enough time for all the eggs to hatch and reinfest, but they must be killed before they mature enough to start laying eggs again.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I don't have any wisdom for you....but I feel for your anxiety around your dog's health. Wouldn't it be great if they could talk and TELL US what's wrong?

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I don't have much wisdom either since I'm new to this site and the bully world but I feel what your going through.
It sometimes feels like a guessing game and it get so frustrating cause all you want to do is help them feel better.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Callies was not really digested, she would finish eating and a couple minutes later it would all come up.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They basically just guessed it was whip worms because they said they can be hard to diagnose. When we took her back for her next treatment after 3 weeks like we were told, she had thrown up the two days before. They didn't give her the next treatment. They decided to send us to the vet school I think because it has reoccurred so much they want to find an answer instead of trying things that may not be the real problem. I figure since my vet can't be bothered to run tests other than for worms, the Auburn vet school hospital is the best place to go so I don't spend money at another vet only to be sent there anyway.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
See, for the most part Aubrey throws up hours after she eats. Sometimes it's one hour, sometimes it's two, others it's 5 to 8. Sometimes it is digested and just liquid, others it is undigested.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.