Scared!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm sorry for having not followed this (I'm fighting a stomach bug myself) but I really, really hope Aubery gets better. Sometimes overfeeding is the reason, sometimes not. I hope the vet can give you an idea of what is causing it. Until then, I'm glad she is keeping the veggies down.

Please let us know what the vet says. I'm praying for a good result :)

C

Cooper11

Wondering what the vet said!!!! Hope you at least found learned something!

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Not a quick, good visit.

They kept her for the night because they wanted to run a lot of tests. Blood testing, x-ray, ultrasound, etc. Apparently, she seems to be experiencing chronic blood loss and they don't know why. Everything else checks out fine, but that is a red flag. They are going to go in to look inside her stomach in the morning. The thing is, the tests themselves are costing so much money. If they need to do surgery like they are mentioning is possible? I don't know how we will afford it. I will do whatever I can to make it happen, but I am so worried that if it costs a lot we won't be able to do it. The tests today were only $400, but I know scope tomorrow will cost a lot. Then surgery? I don't want to think about it. We only have $2000 in care credit, then I have $500 available on a credit card. After that, I don't know what to do.

I want my baby healthy. I want to do whatever I have to do to make her better. It's just been a horrible day and I am so worried it is going to be something bad. It could be something like ulcers because I know they can cause blood loss, weight loss, and vomiting. I haven't seen any tarry stools or emesis though. It could be various things.

:begging: Please let my baby get better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not a quick, good visit.

They kept her for the night because they wanted to run a lot of tests. Blood testing, x-ray, ultrasound, etc. Apparently, she seems to be experiencing chronic blood loss and they don't know why. Everything else checks out fine, but that is a red flag. They are going to go in to look inside her stomach in the morning. The thing is, the tests themselves are costing so much money. If they need to do surgery like they are mentioning is possible? I don't know how we will afford it. I will do whatever I can to make it happen, but I am so worried that if it costs a lot we won't be able to do it. The tests today were only $400, but I know scope tomorrow will cost a lot. Then surgery? I don't want to think about it. We only have $2000 in care credit, then I have $500 available on a credit card. After that, I don't know what to do.

I want my baby healthy. I want to do whatever I have to do to make her better. It's just been a horrible day and I am so worried it is going to be something bad. It could be something like ulcers because I know they can cause blood loss, weight loss, and vomiting. I haven't seen any tarry stools or emesis though. It could be various things.

:begging: Please let my baby get better!

OH MY ..... so sorry it was such a stressful day and worrisome visit. PRAYERS and positive thought for sweet Aubrey.

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] :( I hope they figure it out! I know what you are talking about with $$$$$ I spent over $700 in less than 2 weeks on blood work and xrays! :eek: and I wanted an allergy test ($400) Laser eye surgery (4-500) and the scope thing witch I have no clue the cost on that and then surgery if he woulda needed it I told Coop he needs to get a job!!! You haven't noticed bloody stools??? Poor baby at least they seem to be knowing what they are doing and hopefully figure it out! WHat test showed the blood loss????? I am curious. Coop isn't throwing up and hasn't for over a week now :) but if he does start again I want my vet to do whatever test it is.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think they noticed it through an abnormality in her blood work, but I am not sure. They mentioned so many tests they wanted to try, I am not really sure which ones they did or not. Hopefully I will find out when we go back tomorrow.

C

Cooper11

I think they noticed it through an abnormality in her blood work, but I am not sure. They mentioned so many tests they wanted to try, I am not really sure which ones they did or not. Hopefully I will find out when we go back tomorrow.
totally understand.....With coops first blood work actually i think they said the same thing....and gave him an antibiotic....in vets words "his blood test came back unusual" But i totally get ya....My vet was rambling on and I was like who :blink: what lol...I finally got my pen and paper out to and made them repeat and spell! lol :) But they told me the bleeding or infection could be caused by something he ate like a bone scraped his timmy inside.....but even after I got the bloodwork normal after him being on antibiotic he started the throwing up again and the 2nd blood test showed everything normal besides phosphorus was high or low can't remember! I hope they figure it out and he and Aubrey go home with great news tomorrow! :pray:

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE!

We picked her up today. They didn't look in her stomach because they want to do that at the same time as surgery so she doesn't have to be knocked out twice. They are testing her for Addison's Disease and we will get results in 2 days.

Stomach Ulcers! They think they are the problem. She is losing blood, but replenishing it fine. Her Iron is low, but not horribly. They say she should be anemic, but she isn't for some reason; I guess her body is keeping up so far. They had many doctors look at her blood work and stuff because she is an odd case to be chronically losing and replenishing blood but not be anemic.

The plan is to have her take 4 meds for now. One she takes 3 times a day and it lines her stomach to protect it. It is dissolved in a syringe with 5ml water, then squirted into her mouth. It has to be at least 1 hour before eating if she is eating afterward. Then she takes an iron pill once a day. It has to be 1 hour before the other medicine because the other lines the stomach and keeps medicine from absorbing. Then, once a day she takes a powder mixed with food just in case there are any parasites. Finally, she takes a omeprazole once a day.

I realllllly hope they are right about what it is. When I did research last night (I couldn't help it!), it sounded like ulcers to me. If she has to have surgery, that's fine. At least for now we have time to save up for it and try a couple things to make sure she really needs it. I'm glad that we have a semi-answer. She apparently was spoiled there. The doctors said everyone was constantly paying her attention and she made best buds with one of her doctors, a final year student who took care of her. She was happy to come home though! Right now she is passed out beside me; I guess she didn't sleep well when she wasn't home.

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and words. I will keep this thread updated as we go through this process with her progress, etc, in case it helps another bully parent find answers for their baby.

OP
AubreysMom

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
totally understand.....With coops first blood work actually i think they said the same thing....and gave him an antibiotic....in vets words "his blood test came back unusual" But i totally get ya....My vet was rambling on and I was like who :blink: what lol...I finally got my pen and paper out to and made them repeat and spell! lol :) But they told me the bleeding or infection could be caused by something he ate like a bone scraped his timmy inside.....but even after I got the bloodwork normal after him being on antibiotic he started the throwing up again and the 2nd blood test showed everything normal besides phosphorus was high or low can't remember! I hope they figure it out and he and Aubrey go home with great news tomorrow! :pray:

Do they send their blood work off to a diagnostics lab? The vet school told us that we had to make sure that if we went to our vet for follow up work they sent it to a lab so they could look closely at it. Apparently, sometimes they don't have the diagnostics or use a lab that has the technology to do a thorough review of the blood.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UPDATE!

We picked her up today. They didn't look in her stomach because they want to do that at the same time as surgery so she doesn't have to be knocked out twice. They are testing her for Addison's Disease and we will get results in 2 days.

Stomach Ulcers! They think they are the problem. She is losing blood, but replenishing it fine. Her Iron is low, but not horribly. They say she should be anemic, but she isn't for some reason; I guess her body is keeping up so far. They had many doctors look at her blood work and stuff because she is an odd case to be chronically losing and replenishing blood but not be anemic.

The plan is to have her take 4 meds for now. One she takes 3 times a day and it lines her stomach to protect it. It is dissolved in a syringe with 5ml water, then squirted into her mouth. It has to be at least 1 hour before eating if she is eating afterward. Then she takes an iron pill once a day. It has to be 1 hour before the other medicine because the other lines the stomach and keeps medicine from absorbing. Then, once a day she takes a powder mixed with food just in case there are any parasites. Finally, she takes a omeprazole once a day.

I realllllly hope they are right about what it is. When I did research last night (I couldn't help it!), it sounded like ulcers to me. If she has to have surgery, that's fine. At least for now we have time to save up for it and try a couple things to make sure she really needs it. I'm glad that we have a semi-answer. She apparently was spoiled there. The doctors said everyone was constantly paying her attention and she made best buds with one of her doctors, a final year student who took care of her. She was happy to come home though! Right now she is passed out beside me; I guess she didn't sleep well when she wasn't home.

Thanks for all of your kind thoughts and words. I will keep this thread updated as we go through this process with her progress, etc, in case it helps another bully parent find answers for their baby.

thanks for the update.... give the girl hugs from us --- seems like the doctors aren't too alarmed over all this, but you sure have your work cut out for you. Take care and rest up

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Big cyber :hug: . to you for going through all this. And I'm glad that there is something that you can now start to work with whereas before it was just so unsure and worrying.

I do hope that these tests finally show the problem .. in the meantime I pray the medicines shes on will start to show results immediately. These bullys are just so resilient and I'm sure you'll see an improvement quickly!!!

C

Cooper11

Do they send their blood work off to a diagnostics lab? The vet school told us that we had to make sure that if we went to our vet for follow up work they sent it to a lab so they could look closely at it. Apparently, sometimes they don't have the diagnostics or use a lab that has the technology to do a thorough review of the blood.

Yeah I am not sure about that...... Both the vets that did Coopers blood work had them the same day. I do know they have to send I am assuming a blood sample for allergies but I am not sure...But I do know they send that to a lab and then the lab will make a shot specified to everything your dog is allergic to. I know you are still just wanting to know for sure what is wrong. I hate that she isn't gaining weight for you. Although maybe she is just going to be a smaller bully.... Coopers mom weighed 35 lbs. Has she thrown up anymore or did she throw up last night when they kept her. The giving the med thing an hour before she eats sucks!!!! I had Coop on 3 different meds and one was to be given and hour before he ate and the other an hour fter he ate. I always forgot to give him the one before...I would remember to give it to him as I was about to feed him.... But I think the whole hour before eating is just that the meds works better with an empty tummy...so a had others tells me! :) Ho0w much did she weigh when you took her in yesterday???

Also can you continue to use this school as your permanent vet??? If so I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea. I am kinda shocked your first vet didn't to blood work or x-rays! Or did he? That was the first thing both the vets I went to said needed to be done. And I was all for it. I wish I woulda just went to the 2nd vet in the beginning...woulda saved me $400! It's so hard finding a good vet that is good with bullies!! So you said not looking at her tummy until they do surgery???? What will the surgery be for. I know you don't have surgery for ulcers.....I know how you feel when you say you have a semi answer. It gets so frustrating!!!! :yes: Let me know how she did tonight and tomorrow for you as far as eating and keeping the food down. What did they suggest for food????

[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

When we had Banks and Nitschke's done.... for allergies and a couple other issues -- they were all sent out for more in depth testing and results.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Thanks for the update, I keep checking on you and Aubrey for new details. Hope the meds are kicking in and she's feeling better :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.