Thought I had a good vet, but apparently not!!!

caseyh

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer
I took my new bully to the vet that Ive used for my shih-tzu for the past year and a half.. He has always been very professional and taken very good care of Daisy(my shih-tzu), so naturally I took Boozer to him as well.. As soon as he walked in the room he had a horrible attitude and repeatidly called bulldogs "deformed monsters" and "a terrible breed", furthermore he offered very little help to my problem which was a hotspot on boozers back.. Ive already looked at the recommended vet list on here and it doesnt list any in my area.. not sure what to do at this point..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Call around to several vets in your area, and ask the receptionist how many English bulldog clients they have. If they say quite a few, ask for a number. If they don't see many, ask for a referral. Hopefully with several calls you may get the same recommendation from a few, the cream always rises to the top.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4544]caseyh[/MENTION] Where are you located?

You can treat the hotspot... shave the area, clean it with Listerine (regular yellow/gold color)... keep the area clean and dry and it will clear up in a few days. Hotspots are usually caused by allergies.... how old is Boozer, what food are you feeding?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
OMG he needs to be slapped. What a horrible man. Boozer should have peed on him. Good luck finding a new vet.

OP
C

caseyh

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer
Thank you! I will definitely be calling around! Boozer is 8 months and he's on Taste of the wild- high prairie.. do you think the food is causing the hotspot?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I will definitely be calling around! Boozer is 8 months and he's on Taste of the wild- high prairie.. do you think the food is causing the hotspot?

Did not mean to imply that, but it is possible. My girl is allergic to chicken and my boy was allergic to rice - so anything is a possible allergen. It could be pollen, grass, trees, etc. Can you post a picture of the 'spot'?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)

Where are you located??? I wouldnt want a vet like that seeing any of my dogs bullie or not! That wasnt something he needed to say esp coming from someone who is supposed to care about all breeds...Im not sure of the ingredients in the food Taste of the Wild but it could also be enviromental allergies not just food allergy... [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gave great advice on the hotspot..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry you had to go through that and I hope you told the vet to kiss your back side and walked out. I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], call around and you should be able to find a good one.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If you go to the Bulldog Club of America's website, they have a pdf you can download with vets from all over the country.

I sincerely hope you didn't pay that monster. He should be ashamed of himself.

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
I would call local vets and talk to them almost interview like before picking a new one to take her to. My 1st vet was from the AKC website but after randomly meeting a different vet I found out she herself owned a bulldog in the past. Vet selection is very important and experience can be random. I would interview better then trusting reviews. Some vets seem to do better with certain breeds.

OP
C

caseyh

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer
I didn't have to pay because he basically said there was nothing he could do... I will not be taking either one of my dogs back to him tho.. Yes I can post a pic as soon as I get home. The pollen around my hous is crazy right now so that could have something to do with it..

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Definitely find a NEW vet! Boozer deserves the best. What state do you live in? Maybe some fellow EBNer's can recommend some.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I didn't have to pay because he basically said there was nothing he could do... I will not be taking either one of my dogs back to him tho.. Yes I can post a pic as soon as I get home. The pollen around my hous is crazy right now so that could have something to do with it..

When I first got Watson, I went to the BCA website as well to find my vet and he is very good. I think all the vets on the list are nominated by the members of BCA.

As for the hotspot, [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] gave you good advice. Watson gets them occasionally and this is what I have to do to them until they heal. If they are bad enough, you may need a round of antibiotics. It is usually from a staph infection. Watson was given Keflex for 3 weeks at one time. Watson is mainly from food allergies and we are still trying to find the perfect food for him.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
A so called VET said he was a "deformed Monster?" what kind of monster is he??? Our new vet is OK, he is educated and deals with many bully's. He does say they are a breed of their own. BUT not in a bad way. I would have not been so nice and told him what an as* he was. Good Luck finding a new vet, it took me a while when mine retired but we did find a new vet.

C

Cooper11

Yes call around! I also found a lady who lived close to me that had purchased a bully from the same breeder and asked her what vet she used..... I stuck with my same old same old vet I had used for years and then Coop got sick so I went to the one she recommended. I was very happy with him. Although I don't think we will ever be extremely happy with any vet because no vet is perfect enough for our unique babies. SO yes it is hard to find a great vet but you look around and I am sure you will find a good one! You are lucky you found this site because everyone on here has helped me more thn the vet ever did with Coopers problems and I didn't have to empty my pockets for them. Vet got paid for nothing! But I do still like him and I will continue to take Cooper to him. Instead of 7 miles away I have to drive 40 miles to this new vet witch isn't bad and def worth it!

And the new vet has 3 employees of his who have English Bulldogs and are from the same breeder as my Cooper! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.